Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Registration - best way to remove and prep for new

chathamsolutions

I know this has been discussed before, but since I didn't 'need' the info, I forgot. Now I need the info and am not sure where to start.

Hoping to get out this or next week and don't want to be stopped by Ranger Rick.

What's the best way to take off my square CA Registration sticker and prep it for a new one?

I know this has been discussed before, but since I didn't 'need' the info, I forgot. Now I need the info and am not sure where to start.

Hoping to get out this or next week and don't want to be stopped by Ranger Rick.

What's the best way to take off my square CA Registration sticker and prep it for a new one?

Others probably have more opinions...but I have never had a hard time pulling these stickers off. They normally come off easily and in one piece, unilke your auto registration stickers. Just lift a corner and pull!

Ken

Like kb3 said, the registration stickers usually come off so easily you'll wonder how it stayed on for 2 years. Rubbing alcohol will ensure a clean surface for the new sticker, but personally I like to use the outline formed by wax residue around the old sticker as a guide for placing the new one.

Heat gun or hair dryer might make it easier too.

If it doesn't pull off easy or starts to tear, use a hair dryer. Then if there is any adhesive left behind, use goo gone or mineral spirits and a credit card to scrape it away. Then clean area with cleaner and your G2G.

Andy, don't bother with all that. Spit on the old one, wipe it clean with your shirt sleeve, then apply the new sticker right on top. No fuss, no muss. Crazy.gif

Or 180 grit sandpaper will get it right off. Surprised.gif

To finish this one off:

I walked outside this morning, wide smile on my face, knowing I'd be hitting glassy water this afternoon. I had the new ugly green registration sticker in my coat pocket and my trusty fingernail - assuming all the above advice would hold true.

And hold it did, the sticker that is.

Did you know there are actually three (3) layers to these stickers? There's a plastic coating, I'm sure as a cover. There's the actual color graphic and then there's the bottom white adhesive.

post-9-1139592796_thumb.jpg

post-9-1139593060_thumb.jpg

Sorry, hands were a little cold so it's all a little blurry. I'm sure you guys back east can appreciate the cold I'm talking about :)

Oh, did I mention it was 50F outside? Well, it was and apparently when you attempt to use your stubby excuse for a fingernail and attempt to extract a sticker, only the top layer will come off. Leaving the graphic and adhesive layers to scoff at your pathetic attempt to extract it.

Hmmm...

Seeing that Pete's advice didn't work this morning (I'm sure the 50F didn't help there. Have to give it to Pete, his advice is usually sound.), I had to implement the rest of the advice given above. I walked inside and realized I didn't have Goo Gone or anything like it. So I decided it was finally time to put Tony's (aneal000) Toilette Cleaning Concoction/Potion to use. I had the ingredients (50% Lysol toilette bowl cleaner / 50% Hydrogen Peroxide) but had never mixed them - so got that ready, figuring there was nothing that would stand up to that Caustic mixture.

I also grabbed my wife's blow dryer. I didn't get my blow dryer, I grabbed hers. It's some industrial strength unit that will literally singe your scalp. I know because I borrowed it the other day, in a rush to get ready. We were both in the bathroom, I was doing my hair and she was messing with clothes. I, stupidly, set it to the 'hot' setting - just like I do on my wimpy unit. After just a few seconds I saw and smelled smoke. Not knowing whether it was coming from my head or the unit I quickly threw it down and evacuated 'my wife's bathroom.' Women... I just don't understand.

Anyway, I knew that blowdryer would suck the life out of any sticker. I was actually afraid it might melt it too much, or even bubble the gelcoat - that's how hot that thing got. I also had a credit card that had recently expired. I took all that and my trusty Costco rag and went to work.

With the super heat gun and the credit card I was quickly able to make time with the nasty sticker remains. And Viola! All came away clean.

I did use Tony's trusty Toilet Bowl Concoction/Potion to clean the sticker remains off. It did a fine job. I did leave just a remnant of the original wax marks so I'd have a template for the new sticker, and that worked great.

So thanks everyone. And think of me while I'm on the water this afternoon and you're freezing Tongue.gif

I didn't get my blow dryer, I grabbed hers. . .We were both in the bathroom, I was doing my hair

Ok, ok, ok. First, let me ask if it is just me or if there is anyone else here who finds it strange that Andy has His & Hers blow dryers?! Sorry, dude, maybe it was the "I was doing my hair" thing that got me going on this. . .

Oh, and I think that extreme green sticker goes nicely with your color scheme. :lol:

Edited by VinRLX

I didn't get my blow dryer, I grabbed hers. . .We were both in the bathroom, I was doing my hair

Ok, ok, ok. First, let me ask if it is just me or if there is anyone else here who finds it strange that Andy has His & Hers blow dryers?! Sorry, dude, maybe it was the "I was doing my hair" thing that got me going on this. . .

Oh, and I think that extreme green sticker goes nicely with your color scheme. :lol:

Gotta go with you on this one, Jackster...may be the best find on Andy since his first weekend in the new Bu when he had to stand on the dock with the orange PFD on and 'splain himself to Mr. Water Policeman. ROFL.gif

well, if I had an adapter to use my blow dryer on the boat, I'd get out in cooler weather , too. Tongue.gif

I acutally do have one of those.

But since I just wear a hat on the boat, it doesn't really matter.