Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

help me establish a fair price: 2004 Response CB

tvano

i have an opportunity to trade up to a similar rig (with fewer hours) and am asking for your help to quantify an approximate value.

this closed bow response is in excellent condition but, naturally, has to be qualified by it's high hours.

excellent slalom and bf wakes; it's been a great performer.

hours are the ONLY reason i'm considering a swap; i love this rig. i don't want to end up with 2500 hours on it eight years from now.

rig has always been trailered so there is some slight road rash and a few slight witness marks.

vinyl is in good shape but would expect a call to chee would be in order within a few seasons.

2004 Malibu Response Closed Bow

engine is Indmar's 320 LCR with about 1250 hours.

engine has had zero problems.

damper plate replaced (1200 hours) and also had an intermittent ignition relay (at about 1230 hours).

rig has been on an excellent maintenance program.

Perfect Pass Digital Pro version 6.5 with one magnetic pick-up.

2004 Boatmate trailer (with corrosion but still very stable).

4 outlet heater (includes a defog outlet) and shower.

black evolution cover new in 2011.

teak swim platform looks like new.

has transom grab bar, wedge (corrosion), dog house insulation, mufflers.

white hull w yellow primary and black/gray accents.

there is not a sound system in this boat; it's a towboat. if you want great sound increase the rpm.

thanks for the assist.

ran a quick nada report this morning:

post-85-0-08802000-1337946358_thumb.jpg

not much resolution so i can get all the pix posted. (just how do you guys get larger hi-res files posted?)

post-85-0-35955900-1337946094_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-87041700-1337946105_thumb.jpg

Not an easy sell with the hours and closed bow, but you already know that.

I'd guess somewhere in the mid to high teens, $17,500 springs to mind for some reason.

Here's a stupid question.

I just ran the NADA on my boat and it comes back at $24.5K on the high side but, no where does it consider the trailer.

Are these NADA prices all not including a trailer?

From the NADA website:

When looking up the value of my boat, is the trailer included in the value?

First, check to see if your boat includes the trailer by clicking on the brand and/or model note under the manufacturer heading. This will determine whether the value of the trailer is included. If the value is not included, simply click on the tab for "Boat Trailers". Then select the year and the length of the trailer. You will also need to select whether the trailer is a Single, Tandem or Tri-Axle. Add the value of the trailer to the value of the boat to find your total value. Need assistance buying, selling, financing, or insuring a boat? Let NADAguides.com help! Simply visit the Boat Research Center area for quick and easy answers to all your questions.

I just ran the NADA on my boat and it comes back at $24.5K on the high side but, no where does it consider the trailer.

From what I gather, Malibu's don't. Some Mastercraft 's do (Mastercraft trailers). Example: look up 94 Mastercraft Prostar 205 and you will see (**) after model which means single axle trailer included, Maristars have (***) after for tandem axle. One or two other brands include trailers like that as well, but Malibu has independent trailer manufacturers some I am guessing that is why. Dorsey, Boatmate, Shorelander, etc.

Correct, but those prices, trailer or not, are pretty much useless.

I agree somewhat, but if someone has to take out a loan to buy your boat, that is what the bank will use to get loan value. My past two boats sold above those prices, due to condition and the people didn't mind paying it.

Thanks guys.

So, adding trailer with the stuff that's on it gets me $2,300 more.

I'm gonna stick with the $24K asking price.

I can certainly understand why you might think these numbers are useless (and, Shawn agrees) but, what makes these numbers bad?

The fact that they never ask the hrs. on the boat? Used in salt water? The fact they they never ask the condition of the boat and interior? (like K.B.B. does)

Pistol, I think the numbers are a really good guideline when it comes to trying to decide what price to ask for a boat being sold. That being said, there are always other factors to consider as well: boat prices in the area, amount of boats for sale, maintenance history (especially if documented), etc. Also, NADA list several important notes at the bottom:

Low Retail Value — A low retail valued boat will show excessive wear and tear either cosmetically and/or mechanically. This boat may or may not be in running order. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. Low retail vessels usually are not found on a dealer's lot. Low Retail is not a trade-in value.

Average Retail Value — An average retail valued boat should be in good condition with no visible damage or defects. This boat will show moderate wear and tear and will be in sound running condition. The buyer may need to invest in either minor cosmetic or mechanical work.

Note: Vessels in exceptional condition can be worth a significantly higher value than the Average Retail Price shown.

Salt Water Note: Research indicates that boats exclusively used in salt water, which are not maintained and cleansed with fresh water, may depreciate more rapidly. This could influence the book value 10% to 15%.

I think overall it is good to know that you are paying/getting a fair price for what you are buying or selling. Having a fair market price always helps my feelings when dropping this kind of money for a truck/boat/other toy.

I can certainly understand why you might think these numbers are useless (and, Shawn agrees) but, what makes these numbers bad?

The fact that they never ask the hrs. on the boat? Used in salt water? The fact they they never ask the condition of the boat and interior? (like K.B.B. does)

For sure, plus throw in large regional variations, seasonal variations in price, hours, and most importantly condition varies so widely with boats.

Also with niche boats like we have there is not huge sales volume to go by, and there are significant differences in model desirability. For example a 2004 Sunsetter Lxi versus a 2005, according to NADA guides, the 05 is worth $2k-$3k more, the reality is the 04 is worth the same or more and would sell quicker.

End of the day, the boat is worth what someone will pay for it. NADA value is not a bad place to start, but I think they overvalue most boats if you include all the accessories, engine upgrades, and trailer. YMMV

In 2004 LCR was an upgraded motor.

I just looked at the 2003 brochure as it breaks down the motor option - looks like the base motor is a carbed 350! The LCR would be on the low end of the motor options (as would the 315HP Mercrusier), with the Black Scorpion, Monsoon, Hammerhead, and LS1 all optional motors for this boat.

I just looked at the 2003 brochure as it breaks down the motor option - looks like the base motor is a carbed 350! The LCR would be on the low end of the motor options (as would the 315HP Mercrusier), with the Black Scorpion, Monsoon, Hammerhead, and LS1 all optional motors for this boat.

Base engine for the response was the 310 carb in 2004, 2005 was the changeover to all EFI. Pretty sure it was the first year the LCR was offered.

So the LCR is a pretty good upgrade over the base engine, but was the lowest cost EFI option at the time.

Very impressive that you remember such things from when you were what....14?

Please I was way older than that, 17.

The LCR would be an ideal option for the Response closed bow...and as mentioned, an upgrade over the 310 carb model.

it's all the engine that this slalom skier needs and it barefoots just swell.

if i ordered new i'd do it again.

Up graded to 05 CB Response from a Skier in Feb of this year. 340/no wedge/160 hours. I first saw it on Ski it Again in sept of last year for 27k. We paid 22k . I have always thought off season purchase was 10% savings ? Boat and trailer are in very good condistion. We looked at a lot boats and did not think we could into the response as the 196's are more common and cheaper. It seemed that the high hour boats had to be discounted to move. I think you start at 16.5 K ?