Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HO Esprit

dlb

I was thinking of getting my wife an '06 HO Esprit. It has not come into the local shop yet. Given the issues at HO I wonder if it ever will.

What other ski would be good option for one who just wants to have weekend fun carving turns behind the boat?

I would say that would be a good choice. My wife got an HO Rival last spring, and loves it. Granted, she is not an agressive skier, she cuts "S" turns behind the boat and generally loves to cruise. But, she has been really impressed by the ski, used to have an Obrien Virage (I think). She tells everybody that her new ski is awesome......

The HO Rival would be a good choice for the recreational skier, but another really nice ski is the HO Siren. It is the same as the Triumph, but with 'girl graphics'. If she is a more aggressive skier and wants a short ski (which the Siren and Esprit are - with female specific graphics), you could look at the HO Revolt. The Revolt is a junior comp ski.

Our daughter has the HO Judge (a chopped off version of the Esprit) and really likes it. A friend's wife skied it and like it better than an Esprit that she had tried earlier that year. She's pretty tiny though...

My wife skis on my old HO CDX, but she just cruises around on it. She complains because the spray is in her face alot of the time. It seems that when the ski is ridden flat, spray comes off the ski in front of the front boot right in her face. I would like to get her a ski that does not do this. Does the Esprit kick-up spray when ridden flat? Maybe one of these others would be a better choice.

...She complains because the spray is in her face alot of the time. It seems that when the ski is ridden flat, spray comes off the ski in front of the front boot right in her face...

You can fix that with boot placement adjustment / fin adjustment. Moving the boots forward a position or two should do it. If not...dropping the front tip of the fin will bring the front of the ski down as well. Do you not have the "CDX" video that came with the ski? It goes into adjustments a little bit.

Edited by NorCaliBu

I was considering the HO Esprit for my wife and ended up getting her a KD 3000. Very similar skis. The KD was just a better deal at the time through www.wileyski.com

I got my wife the Esprit 3 yrs ago after she demoed one in Acapulco and loved it. She's an intermediate level, very small, and skis with the 66". It's also so easy to ski that my 9 yr old daughter successfully got up on one and slalomed all over on it last summer.

Edited by HRemington
...She complains because the spray is in her face alot of the time. It seems that when the ski is ridden flat, spray comes off the ski in front of the front boot right in her face...

You can fix that with boot placement adjustment / fin adjustment. Moving the boots forward a position or two should do it. If not...dropping the front tip of the fin will bring the front of the ski down as well. Do you not have the "CDX" video that came with the ski? It goes into adjustments a little bit.

Thanks, great suggestion, but boots are aready all the way foreward, and the fin is down.

Thanks, great suggestion, but boots are aready all the way foreward, and the fin is down.

Shocking.gif And she is till getting sprayed...wow, now that is riding the tail. :) What speed does she ski? She may be going too slow for that narrow a ski. One last thing you might try...depends on her foot size. Small and Medium HO bindings come on very large plates. I wear a medium and Bob LaPointe had me cut off the front of the rear plate. Brought the toes of my back foot closer to the heel of my front foot and definitely shifted my stance. Good luck.

I just think that the CDX is meant to be on edge all the time. It really doesn't matter how it is set up, it will kick-up spray if you ride it flat. I really don't care to keep her on the CDX. Just was curious if the Esprit has this spray or not?

no Doc, it does not...not for my wife or my 9 yr old on the same ski. She would also like the KD 3000 or Xenon if she's a bit more advanced.

Just was curious if the Esprit has this spray or not?

My wife used to ski on a Esprit, about a year 2000 model. She tends to ride flat and skis 28 - 29 mph. She always got spray on the Esprit. Got her a Connelly Pilot that she now loves, way easier to get up on and no spray. She can ski for longer and ride flat without a problem. She enjoys the Pilot way more than the Esprit. She has commented that when trying to get more aggressive on turns the Pilot does not respond like the Esprit, which is understandable. We may look at the next most aggressive ski above the Pilot. BTW - The Esprit will be for sale soon.