Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Custom Ballast Set-up

old skool malibu

Thanks to Gord and Randy @ Wizard Lake for my new ballast set up on my 2012 VTX. Here is the final set up

- 3 Jabsco Ballast Puppies http://www.wakemaker...board-pump.html

- Premium green impeller http://www.wakemaker...e-impeller.html

-Bosworth Y-Valve http://www.wakemaker...th-y-valve.html

- no vent lines

- 1'' hose and quick connects

- through hull shut off

Pump #1

fill bag in starboard locker only

Pump #2

fill bag on side seats (port and starboard)

utilize Bosworth Y Valve and locate between rear seat and locker so just the handle is visible

2 lines coming from pump each coming out the sides in the rear just above the cup holders

Pump #3

fill bag in front

line to front coming out near the handle in the bow

fill in port locker

utilize Bosworth Y Valve and locate between rear seat and port locker so handle is visible

The set up is designed more for a goofy rider as all 3 pumps will be running when setting up goofy first then we move to regular and run 2 of the pumps.

Rocker switches and fuse breakers

7255072186_a142c8b2e0_b.jpg

IMG_3766 by rob_pitchford, on Flickr

3 Jabsco's on Custom Tray

7255067558_539101cb61_b.jpg

IMG_3757 by rob_pitchford, on Flickr

Bosworth Y Valve mounted in Starboard and Port lockers

7255071226_a9ec9ed2d8_b.jpg

IMG_3760 by rob_pitchford, on Flickr

7255069906_4634ebfbed_b.jpg

IMG_3759 by rob_pitchford, on Flickr

Rear locker 750's

7255068800_2293d0e5c6_b.jpg

IMG_3758 by rob_pitchford, on Flickr

Front plug and play quick connect for 400 lb sac. The hose will tuck into the compartment when not in use.

7255066342_baa64181e5_b.jpg

IMG_3755 by rob_pitchford, on Flickr

Starboard plug and play quick connect for 400lb sac

7255064540_e239164e89_b.jpg

IMG_3754 by rob_pitchford, on Flickr

Port plug and play quick connect for 400lb sac

7255063562_7ef4a55ffc_b.jpg

IMG_3753 by rob_pitchford, on Flickr

Really happy with the system and no more pumps over the side. Lets me run 1550 aftermarket for surfing plus stock and wedge.

NICE!.... every time I am at WLM they are still talking about it...your plan made an impact... picked up my custom surf sac a couple weeks ago...looking forward to installing it in the next 10 days.

Thanks G-mack! Looking forward to a surf behind that machine with the new sack

Edited by old skool malibu

I think you'll be looking at some vinyl damage if you don't get something over the hose clamps, specifically in the bow.

I angled the clamps so they wont touch the seat but I could always do what I did on my last system and cover them with good ol duct tape!

I like that idea wakeboarder. I wonder if those can be purchased locally at a hardware store?

Yeah you'll find those at a hardware store as well.

I love the nice install. The bracket is a great idea for mounting the pumps.

The impeller style pumps are supposed to be mounted with the impeller side down. The water left in the impeller housing will eventually leech into the motor components and the pump will have premature failure. It may take a few years, but they will fail quicker than if they were put upright. They for sure fail quicker when put upside down, I am not sure that enough people have them on their side to have much experience with them. But if you have pump failures, then you should consider somehow repositioning them. On the MC website, when I had my X45, I learned that they always put one of the 3 pumps upside down to fit it into the limited space. My 06 didn't fail until 2009...but still, the upside down pump was the one that failed on mine and on everyone else's.

If that is the kind of hose I think it is, it is way too soft, and can easily kink. Sometimes the Jabsco pumps can create enough of a vaccuum to suck the hose onto itself and stop pumping. Keep an eye on that.

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/18220_BALLAST_PUPPY.PDF

I love the nice install. The bracket is a great idea for mounting the pumps.

The impeller style pumps are supposed to be mounted with the impeller side down. The water left in the impeller housing will eventually leech into the motor components and the pump will have premature failure. It may take a few years, but they will fail quicker than if they were put upright. They for sure fail quicker when put upside down, I am not sure that enough people have them on their side to have much experience with them. But if you have pump failures, then you should consider somehow repositioning them. On the MC website, when I had my X45, I learned that they always put one of the 3 pumps upside down to fit it into the limited space. My 06 didn't fail until 2009...but still, the upside down pump was the one that failed on mine and on everyone else's.

If that is the kind of hose I think it is, it is way too soft, and can easily kink. Sometimes the Jabsco pumps can create enough of a vaccuum to suck the hose onto itself and stop pumping. Keep an eye on that.

Thanks, we copied Natique but added some nice 90's to clean it up a little more. I am not worried about pump failure with this install especailly having them sideways. Jabsco does not specify this, infact they state they can be mounted in any desired position but I agree upside down you could have an issue with water dripping from a loose port that could damage the motor..sideways this will not happen. I had my old ones upside down on my first boat and never had a problem for the 5 years I had the boat. . I am not concerned. I am not sure what kind of hose you are thinking about but this is not soft at all, very firm..no concerns there either but thanks. http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/18220_BALLAST_PUPPY.PDF

Edited by old skool malibu
  • 1 year later...

I like that idea wakeboarder. I wonder if those can be purchased locally at a hardware store?

For anyone looking for that style of clamps, I recognize them to be typically used in underground irrigation / sprinkler systems. I would source them from an irrigation supply company.