Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$275 Monza(s)

Guest GalaxyToad

Guest GalaxyToad

6 2005 Monzas popped up on Ski-it-again the other night, three were 70", there were 2 67's and a 68. All for sale from Trophy Lakes. I called just for the fun of it and they are all gone (in a day). Anybody get one?

I'll bet they show up again for sale somewhere for twice that ;)

6 2005 Monzas popped up on Ski-it-again the other night, three were 70", there were 2 67's and a 68. All for sale from Trophy Lakes. I called just for the fun of it and they are all gone (in a day). Anybody get one?

Even at $275 they are overpriced. IMO. With all the stuff going on at HO and all the controversy surrounding the launch of that ski, I would be very wary of buying. Make sure you can try first and get you money back if it's not for you.

Skisix,

If someone has already skied the Monza and liked it, why would you say that's still overpriced? Even if HO goes completely away tomorrow it's still one hell of a ski. I demo'd one last year and would have been all over that if I had seen it on Ski-It-Again in time.

Mike

Skisix,

If someone has already skied the Monza and liked it, why would you say that's still overpriced? Even if HO goes completely away tomorrow it's still one hell of a ski. I demo'd one last year and would have been all over that if I had seen it on Ski-It-Again in time.

Mike

So, if you could buy the ski for $275 and try it and and determine that it worked for you- good on ya. Where are you going to try this ski right now with 1/2 the country iced over? If you tried a monza sometime ago and then think that you'll be getting the same thing through this deal, I believe you are sorely mistaken. Do you remember back to when the ski was originally launched? There was the nationals version, then they made other versions that removed the pointy tip, and then they changed the flex pattern. And so on......

Enough said?

SkiSix, I completely agree with you, and though all I have ever skied anything but an HO (which work well for me), my next purchase will likely be elsewhere.

With all that said, I would have jumped on the $275 deal and turned around and sold it the same day for $450. Fact of the matter is, I would take my chances to make an easy $175 and re-invest that in a different ski. I think worst case scenario, you break even. See how fast they sold on ski-it-again.

I was really hitting up the wife for a new ski, but I'm not so sure I'm going to go HO. Now if I found a CDX or something maybe.

I'll be bringing out some outlaws to the clinic. Can you wait 'till then to try?

I was really hitting up the wife for a new ski, but I'm not so sure I'm going to go HO.

I'll be bringing out some outlaws to the clinic. Can you wait 'till then to try?

I think M-dude is gonna no-show on the clinic. Fingerwag.gif

I was really hitting up the wife for a new ski, but I'm not so sure I'm going to go HO.

I think M-dude is gonna no-show on the clinic. Fingerwag.gif

Shut your pie....

I framed another exquisite reproduction of a Monet for my wife the other day. It is the 5th one we have hung in our home. The framing alone was more than $275. I would rather hang waterskis of all shapes and descriptions on my walls because I never get tired of looking at them. They take me to my happy place. Probably the same place impressionist art takes my wife.

For $275 I would buy one, ride it, love it, hate it, hang it on the wall, put it on the band saw, make a carbon fiber chair out of it, whatever. I was just hoping one of those skis went to one of my friends here considering they all sold for 25 cents on the dollar.

Incidentally, when the Monza was being researched and developed (Jan-Jun 2004) HO was going full throttle forward. I can't assume a ski manufactured in early 2005 is somehow flawed based on business developments that didn't manifest themselves until months later. That would require me to violate several laws of space and time, and frankly I don't have the energy for that.

If you're referring to my statement GT, I don't think their business developments had anything to do with initial perceptions of the monza. HO, as is typical of that company, took an extreme design to 5 or 6 skiers who can handle anything and said "do you like it". To which they replied "yes", then they went out and prototyped a mold and made some skis. Those went to other elite skiers that are very HO loyal and of course, they said they liked it too. So they made more skis and took 'em to nationals and told every skier there that would listen that this ski was going to get every one another full pass. So, the skiers who are looking for any gain they can get took 'em home and some had success and some didn't. Then the word starting hitting the net and HO made a few more changes to the mold and the layup. And so on.....

Making a ski is as much about the person who applies the resin as the mold and materials. If no one is left that knows how to do that, what are they putting out? Let me say now that I don't know what is going on up there! I'm just wondering, usually if something is too good to be true, it's false.

Even at $275 they are overpriced. IMO. With all the stuff going on at HO and all the controversy surrounding the launch of that ski, I would be very wary of buying. Make sure you can try first and get you money back if it's not for you.

Yes, my inspiration came from this. I thought $275 was more than fair for a never ridden left over Monza to someone like me who's curiosity is insatiable or to someone who skis like Wade, Sully, Ross, or Asher. This is the price threshold that allows someone like me to buy, experiment, keep, or sell without getting hurt. I also think CW deserves a fair shake, but I haven't had an opportunity with them like the one I may have had with these Monzas. I am very glad that you have found the stick that works for you, but "Even at $275 they are overpriced" is a little over the top. You wouldn't try one for that? Dude, I may have to intervene Biggrin.gif

The twelve steps:

1. Admit we were powerless over (insert brand name here); that our lives have become unmanageable.

2. Come to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Herb O'Brien as we understand him.

4. Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admit to Herb O'Brien, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. We're entirely ready to have Herb O'Brien remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly ask Herb to remove our shortcomings.

8. Make a list of all persons we have harmed (Herb O'Brien), and become willing to make amends to them all.

9. Make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continue to take personal inventory and when we are wrong promptly admit it.

11. Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with Herb O'Brien, as we understand him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, try to carry this message to other ski-a-holics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

I love google ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

Man, you need to get outside and take a breath of fresh air. How long did it take to come up with that?

I have riden two monza, so I know, I get it and I really don't want anymore of it. I'm not hung up on CW, I know that the 9700 would work well for me and I think that the X5 would work and am curious about the Nomad and the Fischer. I would not buy a nomad of a fischer for $275 though site unseen though.

I know that I'll have a chance to ride these skis without paying.

• 1 month later...

GT - off topic, but I skied skisix@38's CWorx last night. Liked it enough to have a demo make the trip back home with me. We'll check it out this weekend on home water.

To GT. I love reading all your posts. Great insight, logic, life philosophy..... and very entertaining.

Thanks.

I bought a used one a while ago, but my season doesn't start for another month or so. I haven't been out more than 5 sets a year for the past 4 years and most of my skiing up to this point has been on a late 80's connelly. Once I have some time to get in shape I will provide my impressions of the ski I will be able tell how it works for my situation.

I'm sure it will take me quite a while to get used to all the variables though - I used to ski behind a different boat, in a really deep lake, and on a really old ski. Now I am going to be on really different ski, totally different bindings, and on a small lake that feels completely different (soda lake in CO).

Hopefully I won't kill myself, but I don't have any place to ski outside of the course at this point to get a feel for it. When I have to pay per set with limited time I usually go pretty hard.

Are you going to take it back to Outlaw lake with you?

I would like to hear how it feels to you on different water and different conditions.

$275 Monza chapter II:

Without telling a really long (and amusing) story, I'll just say I tracked those $275 Monzas until I got one that is technically my size (69.5"). It showed up with the stickers still on it and I rode it today.

Conditions were less than ideal (big surprise, April in Ohio). Both the air and the water were ~51 degrees, windy, chop, overcast with rain moving in, wetsuit, and hood. I'd like to think that it will work better in better conditions, we'll see. I can definitely see why better skiers gravitate toward this ski. The potential for speed is over the top. That damn thing is fast. Setting and holding the on-side turn is easy and gratifying. Getting the off-side to come around and hold is going to require some work. Too much smash in the on-side cross, I didn't know what to do with it. It was freakin' freezing out there today and I just can't get my body to do what I want it to in those conditions. Over all I think there is a lot of potential in that stick even for the aggressive novice. If you're on the fence about S8 or Monza and can find a good deal I'd say pick up the Monza. At first I thought I'd buy, try and sell, but now I'm looking forward to jumping on periodically this season just for the work. Rockon.gif

P.S. If pressed we might even be able to pressure Hoover for a quick review. He has the ski in his truck right now Biggrin.gif

I visually QC'd it, I didn't ride it though. Scott rode mine though so he'll know if thhat one rides like mine. Scott was impressive! His first couple passes he was putting too much effort into turning and I asked him to ease off a bit. After that he was making 22 look pretty easy in some not so good conditions.

We had a lot of fun and then some beers afterwards- that's what makes this sport so much fun!

Did you QC Scott's CW before you sent him home with it Biggrin.gif

the CW is a nice stick, can't wait to get some sets on it. The ski was great...but I was even more impressed by the driving ability of Mrs. Skisix...she rocks!

I'm leaving it here (in Ohio) for Hoover to play with while I'm gone.

Hey Hoover, you bringing that Monza to Michigan next month (along with that Phantom of yours)? Biggrin.gif

GT - hope all is well. Still bummin' that you won't make it for the clinic.

So I got my bindings now and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size/length of screws I need to mount them. I don't really feel like driving to the ski shop all the way across town for a couple of machine screws.

Phantom Bindings

Monza

Thanks

Thanks Edwin, that's a very nice thing to say. You called it right when you were here, I couldn't have gotten to where I am with out good driving. Gotta keep a good looking chick who can drive with the best senior rated drivers and can back the trailer up, and can cook and raise my son.

the CW is a nice stick, can't wait to get some sets on it. The ski was great...but I was even more impressed by the driving ability of Mrs. Skisix...she rocks!
My bag of hardware is in Oklahoma in my ski box, but I think they are half inch fine thread #10's in stainless steel. How did you manage to get a ski and a pair of boots without one of them having hardware attached?

Well I bought the ski used and then I ordered the bindings "new" but from two seasons ago so I wasn't that suprised that they didn't have anything with them.

Right now my bindings have about 1/8" of foam under the plate - other than that I have nothing. I think I suck at the internet becuase I can't find any pictures of how the hardware is supposed to go.

Hey Hoover, you bringing that Monza to Michigan next month (along with that Phantom of yours)? Biggrin.gif

I'll have the Monza, the Phantom, and my D3, you are welcome to try all of them. I'm really loving the D3. It is so smooth in and out of the turns no matter how hard you go at it and whether it is warm or cold. The Monza is rocket fast, but it definitely seems to want to be skied on Wade Cox style. I'm looking forward to playing a little more on it as it gets warmer. It's kinda hard to judge in the cold.

Cheers.gif