Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Sunsetter - a slalom boat also suitable for family use?

Toronto Boater

The following 2001 Malibu Sunsetter (not sure which model) has been posted in my area (see link below). What are your thoughts on this boat, and in particular:

1. how is the wake for slalom skiing, at typically 30 mph range, 15 off (up to 22 off);
  2. how is the price? ($15k)
  3. which hull is this? (diamond, or other) and is there a wedge?
  4. Is this the LXI, or was there another model sunsetter with walk through windshield in 2001?

All thoughts would be appreciated, thanks. Here is the link.

http://www.buckeyema...-SUNSETTER.aspx

That is also a 2000, not a 2001 - you can tell by the rotary switches.

I can't tell if there's a wedge.

There's also not enough info or pictures to gauge if the price is reasonable.

The wake will be OK for skiing, but typically at 32 & above. It will be relatively small, but firm & will grow quickly as the boat slows down. Your opinion of it will depend on your experience and skill level - it could be perfectly fine for what you want to do.

Edited by wienrdog

If you want a reasonably good slalom boat that can also work for family boating, the Sunsetter is a good choice.

• LX
  • Not a 2001
  • Interior looks dryed out
  • What engine?
  • 15k? maybe 12.5k
  • Looks like a diamond hull. Depends on what you are used to, but will put out a pretty nice flat wake for slalom.

• LX
  • Not a 2001
  • Interior looks dryed out
  • What engine?
  • 15k? maybe 12.5k
  • Looks like a diamond hull. Depends on what you are used to, but will put out a pretty nice flat wake for slalom.

How can it be a Diamond if its an LX, which it clearly is?

Just sold my 01 lx exactly the same boat. 3 piece rear seat would make it an 01. I free ski at 15 off fairly agressive for a 50 year old and I thought the wake was fine. not as good as the old pro star 190 I used to ride behind but good. My v-drive wake for slolom is not near as good. with the sunsetter i could cut all the way though the wake. with the wakesetter v I fly over the wake. this boat has the wake hull. Never skied behind an lxi but I am sure that would be better for slolom.

The following 2001 Malibu Sunsetter (not sure which model) has been posted in my area (see link below). What are your thoughts on this boat, and in particular:

1. how is the wake for slalom skiing, at typically 30 mph range, 15 off (up to 22 off);
  2. how is the price? ($15k)
  3. which hull is this? (diamond, or other) and is there a wedge?
  4. Is this the LXI, or was there another model sunsetter with walk through windshield in 2001?

All thoughts would be appreciated, thanks. Here is the link.

http://www.buckeyema...-SUNSETTER.aspx

• how is the wake for slalom skiing, at typically 30 mph range, 15 off (up to 22 off); -windy1 knows more than I do about this, and his information sounds good.
  • how is the price? ($15k) Too high, especially without trailer. Does it have a trailer? How many hours?
  • which hull is this? (diamond, or other) and is there a wedge? Wake hull, I see a wedge in the second picture.
  • Is this the LXI, or was there another model sunsetter with walk through windshield in 2001? This is an LX, 2001. They made a LXi and VLX in 2001 as well. Check out the resources page on this site for specs and brochures.

If it were me I'd keep looking, or make a lower offer.

I have the '98 Sunsetter LX and I find it to be a great all around boat. I believe it has the Wake hull. I've slalomed for years behind all kinds of boats and I find the wake to be very good at slalom speeds (30+ mph). I appreciate the versatility of this boat as it's got high freeboard so cruising on rougher water is a dryer experience (and pretty comfortable too). With the wedge at wakeboard speeds and some ballast it's a great wakeboard boat too. A truly great all around performer IMO.

just a note from a fellow Ontario guy:

a) while not a great price, it's potentially pretty fair for cottage country in Ontario. It's too high for the rest of the guys on this board, because it would go for a few $k less in the US. On the other hand, if you need a trailer, don't underestimate, you'll be lucky to find something for less than $2000-2500 in our part of the world.

b) ask about the hours. It says 0, which means either they didn't want to say, or because they had to replace the engine.

c) In one picture you can see the end of the word Onandoga, which is a pretty popular summer camp, so if it was a camp boat, count on 300-400+ teenage-abuse hours per season.

d) mentions mid-ballast (300 lbs in ski locker?) but nothing about the wedge.

Andjules, you are absolutely right. I just enquired with the marina and it is the Camp Onandoga ski boat. I share your concerns about use (and abuse) of a camp ski boat. Thanks for pointing that out.