Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

More Lake Powell Pictures

TheHardWay

Went with a group of friends, one of whom has a time share on a houseboat. We made camp at Good Hope Bay. There was zero wind and the lake stayed glassy the entire time for the 3 days I was there, which isn't exactly common for this time of the year on Powell. Air temp was in the upper 80s, to mid 90s. Water was 71-81 depending on where in the lake we were.

Thought I'd share some pictures.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

I went there hoping to boat back into the canyons and hike as well but the water level was low and the only passage was through the channel from Wahweap--could not take the hammering at speed just to get the boat through the rough water, only made it as far as Antelope canyon. Awesome though that was, had to abandon the rest of the trip because it was no fun beating through the channel--simply took up too much of the day just to get through it. Decided the only way to go is on a houseboat. Unless things are much better at the other end of the lake--where will you be putting in? There was a new marina being built at Antelope, which would get you in beyond that bottleneck, so wish that would have been open when I was there. This was about 4 or 5 yrs ago when the water was low and for the first time in years you could see Cathedral, and I really wanted to see it. I hope someday to have an opportunity to join a group on a houseboat that wanted to cruise the canyons also.

I went there hoping to boat back into the canyons and hike as well but the water level was low and the only passage was through the channel from Wahweap--could not take the hammering at speed just to get the boat through the rough water, only made it as far as Antelope canyon. Awesome though that was, had to abandon the rest of the trip because it was no fun beating through the channel--simply took up too much of the day just to get through it. Decided the only way to go is on a houseboat. Unless things are much better at the other end of the lake--where will you be putting in? There was a new marina being built at Antelope, which would get you in beyond that bottleneck, so wish that would have been open when I was there. This was about 4 or 5 yrs ago when the water was low and for the first time in years you could see Cathedral, and I really wanted to see it. I hope someday to have an opportunity to join a group on a houseboat that wanted to cruise the canyons also.

That's the thing with this lake, having good water can be hit or miss. It seems earlier in the year, the better luck I have had. Towards the middle and end of the summer the monsoons and wind can make the main channel a nightmare. I put in at Hall's Crossing, never been to the Wahweap side yet. The furthest south I have been I believe is Escalante Canyon. There is literally so much to see on the lake that it will be a while before I can claim to have seen it all!

I planned on trying to make it up there this summer but with the way my transmission is acting, I don't trust my truck to make it all the way there from Cali. Maybe next summer..until then I will just envy your pics haha

8 days and I will be there.

Lucky to have glass. Last year at this time, I battled anchoring my houseboat in 40 MPH winds all day long for several days consecutively. Glad to hear you got good water. I hope it holds for me when I go.

Thanks for sharing!

Hollie...The castle rock cut is nice and open, so the days of taking a severe beating are over. Nobody goes through that channel unless you launch out of Antelope point marina.

Lucky to have glass. Last year at this time, I battled anchoring my houseboat in 40 MPH winds all day long for several days consecutively. Glad to hear you got good water. I hope it holds for me when I go.

Thanks for sharing!

I hope it holds for you too. The mussel inspection lady said they were having 50mph winds the day before we got there!

At any rate, take some pictures and throw them up in this thread!

I hope it holds for you too. The mussel inspection lady said they were having 50mph winds the day before we got there!

At any rate, take some pictures and throw them up in this thread!

LMAO...The mussel inspection lady. Is that an official title? Lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk