Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 SLxi vs pre-2005 Slxi (02) vs 2005 CC216

89SN2001

We have owned a 1989 CC ski nautique 2001 for 12 years. We are looking for a bowrider to better accomodate our 3 boys (ages 3,5 and 7) and sometimes their friends or ours. We are slalom skiers, I trick a little and the boys all just started to ski last year. They love theirs tubes though. Found a great deal (i think) on a leftover 2005 Sunsetter Lxi. I am not crazy about the higher sides and have concerns over the great wake I used to hear about behind the "classics" being destroyed by the extra width and weight and I think a deeper v? We have also found an incredible deal on a leftover 2005 Nautique 216 (just 2000 more than the 05 SLxi) We are also considering 2 preowned 2002 Sunsetter Lxi.

Any thoughts on slalom wakes, out of the hole power, (husband is 230#) ability to introduce wakeboarding for kids later, general comfort???

We boat mostly on Kentucky and Tennessee public lakes. Camp and tie up at campsite.

Welcome to the site!

Before you take anyone's opinion here as gospel, I have to tell you emphatically to ski all of them & decide for yourself. Wake quality & shape is extremely subjective.

Now with that said, I make no bones about it that I am one that doesn't believe that the new SLXI on the V25 Diamond can be as good as the old one on the SV23 Diamond. The new boat is both wider & substantially heavier, & those 2 things usually equal a bigger wake. But again, try them yourself & see what you think. I'm sorry, but I haven't spent any time at all in the 216 & therefore can't give you any kind of educated opinion on a good comparison.

One other thing that I'll throw in, have you considered a Response LXI? It's not a wakeboard boat, but you don't really mention that with any kind of emphasis. An RLXI might be a good option to consider as well.

We do not wakeboard at the moment, but figure with 3 boys it is in the cards. Husband has tried and would like to again. I have no desire since the one time I did try I ended up with knee surgery. We did consider an Rlxi, but the extra room of the Slxi and possible passengers lured us that way.

89SN - here's a review I wrote back in 2003 comparing the 216 to my 2001 SLXi. Hope this helps...I'll add more on the 2005 SLXi in another post.

Was fortunate enough to get to test drive and ski behind an 04 Sport 216 this evening. To do a real world comparison, I brought my 01 Malibu Sunsetter LXi along to drop in the water and ski immediately after the 216. Here were my thoughts:

Styling / interior design- It's obvious that the fit and finish of the 216 far exceeds my LXi. The layouts are very similar (makes me wonder what boat CC was modeling the 216 after :lol: ). My LXi has storage under two of the 3 back jump seats, the observer seat on the LXi opens with the seat back, then the bottom removes. I question if the 216 observer seat will open completely if a bimini top is installed. Might be an issue. The 216 observer seat is a seat and half (maybe), the LXi is a full two seater. Walk thru space from observer to motor box is more open on the 216, but either boat will require observers to move their legs to allow passengers by. Trunk is larger on the LXi, might be easier for smaller people to get things out of as it's not as deep as the 216. 216 trunk looks like it will hold a ton of stuff, but will require piling things on top of one another. Overall - I could go either way here, but the CC fit and finish is outstanding.

Holeshot performance - 2 adults, 1 child on board - holeshot was great behind the 216. Actually, exceeded my expectations (330hp Excalibur motor). This has been a beef with my LXi (325hp Monsoon motor), but has recently been fixed with a bit of prop work tweaking the stock 13x14 OJ 4 blade into a 13x12. Overall - the nod goes to the 216.

Handling - slow speeds such as docking, loading on trailer, picking up a skier, the LXi is hands down better here. The dealer readily admitted that the slow speed manuvering was not as good as smaller CC's.

- skiing speeds - CC was slower to turn, req'd a much more deliberate attempt at making the boat change directions. Not bad at all, just different. LXi on the other hand has the steering wheel feel of a 96 Crown Victoria and changes direction very easily. It turns sharper, faster, and stayed flatter in the turns than the 216.

Overall, no question the LXi is better here.

Wake quality at skiing speeds - skied 30mph, 15 off for the wife, 15, 22, and 28 off at 34mph for me. 216 at 30mph is not it's strong suit. At 30mph, the boat has not lifted out of the water completely resulting in a big hump in the middle. I had no issues zipping across it, but a non-edged ski will launch. On the other hand, the LXi is very nice at this speed. Much smaller, no where as turbulent as the 216.

Bumping the speed at 15 off helped tremendously, much better but still a decent bump. 22 off at 34 has you right in the rooster tails...keep the ski on edge and it's not too big of a problem. Non-edged and the ski took to the air. 28 off was great, no reason to think shorter than 28 would be anything less than ideal. At 34 mph, I'd say the difference between the two was even more noticeable. There's just not that much there behind my LXi, especially at 22 and 28 (where I happen to ski the most)

If I were the only one to ski behind the boat, I'd say the 216 wakes would be fine. However, since we normally ski as a family, the less skilled skiers need every bit of assistance they can get. To compare the two, the LXi wins this part hands down.

Tracking - wife commented that the 216 tracked better than the LXi, rarely even felt a pull even into 28 off. This isn't the case for our LXi as I do have to fight powerful skiers a bit. 216 it is, no questions asked.

This was the best test drive I've ever been on...truly helped me make my decision and won't think twice about it. Being able to drive / ski the two boats back to back is the way to do it, at least for me. The differences between the two are readily apparent. I was hesitant about the 216's slalom wakes after watching the Waterski magazine video - the CC marketing guy basically recognizes that the 216 is targeted toward the wakeboarder who also skis a bit. I have to say I agree with him - this boat is no where as slalom focused as the the 206. Given that we ski 95% of the time, I think I'll stick with my LXi.

Edwin,

I never get tired of listening to you brag on our boats!! I just wish the Tige boys here in Abilene could hear the passion in your keyboard.

For what you're saying, the pre 2005 SLXi is the best boat for you. The 2005 SLXi doesn't even come close to the "classic" version for skiing. That said, the 05 SLXi has tons and tons of room.

I really liked the 216...more than the 05 SLXi. If you are set on a new boat, I'd lean 216 over the 05 SLXi. If you can find the right pre 05 SLXi, that'd be the best option for you IMHO.

Where are you located? Good luck in the search.

Edwin,

I never get tired of listening to you brag on our boats!! I just wish the Tige boys here in Abilene could hear the passion in your keyboard.

:blush:

We just drove up to midwest correct craft to look at the 216 last week. We though the layout of the back seat was uncomfortable with the way the ends wrap around. We were also concerned that the seats felt very hard. The obvservers seat is smaller. I am definitely concerned over it being more geared to wakeboard. I thought for sure it would be more slalom. Of course our 1989 SN 2001 has huge wakes at slower speeds. I also thought the back seat hit me a little low on the back for riding in all day comfort. Glad to see you like your 2001 Slxi.

I am in Cincinnati Ohio

Edwin--that is kind of where we are stuck go new with warranty and all or keep the search for the used. Glad to hear your oppinion on the 2 new ones. We had actually done a deal on the new Slxi when I got cold feet as we were listing our Nautique for sale so we had to drive to see the 216 (8 hours total)

89 - Welcome! There are several of us on the board from the Cincy area. None of the boats you're talking about should have any trouble pulling your husband out, provided they're prop'd correctly. The 99-04 Sunsetters are great boats for both skiing and intermediate boarding.

Have you looked at Land-N-Sea Collection for something CC that's comparable - they're just down the road from No Wake.

Best of luck in your search.

OK, the 216 is basically the same thing as an "older" air nautique aka sport nautique. The boat is practically the exact same thing as a 2000 sport nautique, which I have spent probbaly close to 100 hours in. With all due respect, that boat stunk, and I don't mean literally. IMO, it is by far the worst of the crossover inboards for slalom, and it really takes some weight to get it dragging to make a decent wakeboard wake (but when it is loaded down it is pretty nice :) ). It is terribly weight sensitive, is not comfortable, and ours with the GT40 was a dog. For my tastes, it does nothing good, and a lot of things not very good at all. Don't ever plan to barefoot behind it, and forget keeping 3 people happy other than the driver in front of the pylon.

The "new" sunsetter lxi hull has a different shaped hull by 2 degrees (23 v 25), and the boat is heavier than its predecessor (as it seems you already know). It sits on a bigger footprint which helps for skiing (less poundage per square inch). Of the people that I know that have skied behind it, they claim it was very skiable. I have not skied behind a "new slxi", however, Edwin's review is from the "olden" days of the slxi (I can't tell if he's been behind a new one, but perhaps another review of his is coming). I saw a picture of someones sunscape 21 ski wake (literally the exact same hull as the slxi just a VD) and it was really amazing...honestly (UW, whos boat was that?). If the Vdrive looks like that, then the slxi has to be even better (being that its lighter and a DD).

The 'bu can drop the wedge and give a passable wakeboard wake until you're ready for more weight, as opposed to the 216 where you need weight from the gitgo. I don't have the test mag in front of me, but I would pit the slxi numbers against the 216 anyday.

All that said go try them yourself. If you want to make it a really easy decision, go trick!

Yes, and we used to have a Correct Craft, so I know the history thing is neat (it was to us), but the 'bu will not let you down.

Wow, this is really one sided, and I hope it doesn't offend you if you got the 216, but I really don't have anything good to say about it. That said, I've never spent a single minute in a new slxi, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. However, that hull design can't be all that bad...it is essentially brand new... unlike the sport nawtank 216! No matter what you get, have fun and welcome!

I really appreciate all the help. keep it comin'

Would really like to hear from someone who has skied behind both the pre05 Slxi and the 05-06

We are hoping to test drive an 02 Slxi this weekend--but that is still only drive and not ski, 35 degrees and all!!

I'm in the Cincy area also. I highly recommend that you check into the local dealers and compare them as well as the boats. If you have any problems, this will be the most important decision. I have known the No Wake guys for ten years and there is no better dealer out there. You will be happy with the boat buying experience and can feel good knowing that they will back their product up.

I don't know much about the CC dealer across 275 from No Wake but they are very new. They also sell other types of boats besides ski/wake boats, whereas No Wake only sells Malibus. The other skiboat dealers in this area (MC, Supra, Moomba) also sell other boats and the skiboats are just a side business.

That said, I have no experience with the other dealers but I can't speak more highly of No Wake. By the way, I second the recommendation to check out the Response Lxi. You will love the performance and there is quite a bit of room inside. The ski wakes are outstanding.

I have an 01 Slxi and love it! I am the 2nd (boat was bought new spring of 02) owner and we have somewhere near 250 hours on the boat w/o any issues. I don't think I would be concerned about a 4 year old boat. I used to slalom a lot but have been wakeboarding more and more. The slalom wakes are unreal for an almost 22' boat! (34mph) Drop the wedge and add a ski locker sack and the boarding wake is alright, not great. Storage in the rear is huge. Observer's seat is enorormus compared to the 216.

Good luck.

... we are stuck, go new with warranty and all or keep the search for the used.

Warranty Scmarranty, Find a good clean gently used boat that that has been well kept (Probably a slalom guy because they are usually the most anal). Even if you have to drive a long way to get it the money you save (tons) will more than make up for any repairs. Besides it's been my exp that if you keep it up well these boats have very few high dollar repairs. Also the depreciation curve really slows down with a clean used boat, see, even more money saved :)

Here is edwin's review of the new Slxi....Link

I have examined the New Slxi. Imho it looks like they've taken a skiboat and made it more wakeboard friendly at the expense of ski performance. If the old Slxi were still in production I would probably own one. I haven't skied the new Slxi Hull myself so you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I have a hard time understanding why someone would choose the Slxi over the Sxti...if I'm not mistaken it's the same hull with the seat configuration better geared for taking out guests

JohnDoe, the 216 is not basically the same thing as the older Air Nautique. While roughly the same size, that is where the similarities end. The 216 is the stretched version of the TSC2 hull which was introduced in 2002. (Also, I think but am not sure, that the Sport Nautique changed hulls in 98 or 99 to a stretched version of the TSC1 hull.) The 216 skies much better than the older Air Nautique. I've skied both. The Air Nautique was not skier friendly, at all IMO. Kinda like skiing behind my old 1988 SN. On the other hand, the 216 is very skier friendly. I would agree with Edwin's post regarding the comparison between the 216 and the pre 05 SLXi. Can't figure why Bu got rid of that boat. For the size it skied great. I never turned down a run in the course behind my buddy's 01 SLXi.

I also agree that the OP owes it to herself to take a hard look at the RLXi. At the margain I don't think there's that much more room in the newer SLXi. And the SLXi, from what I've heard, does nothing great. The RLXi, on the other hand skies great and will satisfy any intermediate wakeboarding aspirations for a long time. (Of course, if this were a CC forum I'd be pushing the CC 206--saying the same thing comparing the 216 vs. 206. Don't want to start a boat war so if you're curious about the 206, post something on Planetnautique.com and I'll respond.)

Edited by SGY

The SLXI 99'-04' is a great crossover boat that'll produce slalom wakes that are incredible for a 21'8" boat and a 93.5" beam. The 05' SLXI honestly is great at neither skiing nor wakeboarding. Given the hull and weight, one would give it the nod for wakeboarding. The SLXI storage is well suited for a family and then some. It's quite nimble for a larger boat and has more freeboard then the RLXI. The wakes on the RLXI will be smaller and a bit softer as I've been told. You won't have a problem out of the hole, there is plenty of low-end torque in the monsoon. I primarily slalom and my wife wakeboards and suits us well. The best thing is to test drive each boat...

We have about 530 hours on our 1999 SLXi and it runs like new! My dad skis (well used to ski) at 33-34 just for fun, not course and the wake was really nice at that speed. I like to wakeboard and with the wedge, center ballast, and a sack or two in the back it throws a really nice boarding wake. Have you considered a Sunsetter VLX(with the skiing hull) because you would have soooooo much more room?

We have about 530 hours on our 1999 SLXi and it runs like new! My dad skis (well used to ski) at 33-34 just for fun, not course and the wake was really nice at that speed. I like to wakeboard and with the wedge, center ballast, and a sack or two in the back it throws a really nice boarding wake. Have you considered a Sunsetter VLX(with the skiing hull) because you would have soooooo much more room?

That model only have one year w/ a diamond hull 01' or 02' years IIRC. The VLX isn't a great slalom boat by any measure. You can get the LSV 21' on a diamond hull, but again if slalom is your priority the SLXI 99'-04' or the RLXI fit what the OP is searching for.

OK, the 216 is basically the same thing as an "older" air nautique aka sport nautique. The boat is practically the exact same thing as a 2000 sport nautique, which I have spent probbaly close to 100 hours in. With all due respect, that boat stunk, and I don't mean literally. IMO, it is by far the worst of the crossover inboards for slalom, and it really takes some weight to get it dragging to make a decent wakeboard wake (but when it is loaded down it is pretty nice :) ). It is terribly weight sensitive, is not comfortable, and ours with the GT40 was a dog. For my tastes, it does nothing good, and a lot of things not very good at all. Don't ever plan to barefoot behind it, and forget keeping 3 people happy other than the driver in front of the pylon.
JohnDoe, the 216 is not basically the same thing as the older Air Nautique. While roughly the same size, that is where the similarities end. The 216 is the stretched version of the TSC2 hull which was introduced in 2002. (Also, I think but am not sure, that the Sport Nautique changed hulls in 98 or 99 to a stretched version of the TSC1 hull.) The 216 skies much better than the older Air Nautique. I've skied both. The Air Nautique was not skier friendly, at all IMO. Kinda like skiing behind my old 1988 SN. On the other hand, the 216 is very skier friendly. I would agree with Edwin's post regarding the comparison between the 216 and the pre 05 SLXi. Can't figure why Bu got rid of that boat. For the size it skied great. I never turned down a run in the course behind my buddy's 01 SLXi.

I respectfully disagree that the 216 is not basically the same thing as a 2000 sport/air nautique. They are, in fact, basically the same. It's the same interior, same basic hull shape, same size, same layout, and has most (if not all) the same CC shortcomings which I mentioned. Is the tsc2 better for slalom than tsc1? Maybe, but I do know that CC scrapped using it on the SN because of the trick wake, which OP said she did as well. I also know that it retained the basic CC hull design, and my understanding is that its changes are basically strake and relief pocket design (CMIIW). My original premise is that the 216 does few things good is a position I'm willing to stick with, even if the slalom wake was improved by the tsc2 under it. (I only slalomed behind a tsc2 SN, so I can't comment directly on how the tsc2 216 did. Incidentally, which "air nautique" were you referring? I'm using a 2000 sport and 2000 air as my bases, and as you point out, was tsc1).

Perhaps most important, and has been mentioned, is the observer seat. Have fun having to stick people in the bow in the fall because there's only room for one on the observer seat. Oh..I didn't mention heavier vinyl in the bu, thicker seating (5" vs 3"), the advantages of using a key, though-bolted engine mounts, and not being a "SNOB" :lol:

The bottom line is that all 3 boats will probbaly make you happier than the 2001 you're in, so enjoy whatever you get.

Not trying to boat war with you SGY, just rebutting. Biggrin.gif

JohnDoe. If you are referring to the 2000 Sport, then I agree that the slalom wake is not much different than on the 216. It was based on the TSC1. There are those that are huge advocates of the TSC1 hull who would argue that it is better. Having skied behind both the TSC1 and TSC2, I can't say there is not much of a difference to be honest. Now CC will argue that the hull changes from the TSC1 and TSC2 were indeed drastic. There is a noticeable structural difference, especially towards the transom. You're correct regarding the TSC3 hull--very similar to the TSC2--just with the hydro gate replacing the lip at the transom and minus one or two lifting strakes (can't remember exactly.) With the hydro gate up, the hull sits in the water further enhancing the trick wake. I understand from some promo dudes that the TSC2 and TSC3 slalom wakes are identical.

I was referring to the 2000 Air. After the TSC1 introduction, the Sport and the Air no longer shared the same hull. I understand the Sport was given a stretched TSC1 hull whereas the Air kept the same hull which is a close variant to the hull being used on the Super Air Nautique. This is consistent with your earlier post that the wake on the Air Nautique DD is nice when loaded up.

I wasn't saying that the 216 is better than the 05SLXi. Just trying to make sure we are comparing apples and apples relating to the 216 and its predecessors. I liked the 216 and if I wasn't on a private lake, I would look hard at one. I skied behind one at 15 off, 32-34mph. The wake was bigger and harder than my 206 but still very manageable if you keep on edge. I would also look closely at a 2004 and older SLXi.

JohnDoe, I'm surprised you had a negative experience with the GT-40. That motor usually gets positive press.

In the interests of not starting a boat war (I'm outnumbered here) I'll bite my lip on your comments relating to vinyl, thicker seats, etc. That won't help the OP make a decision. But I will say, I don't know any Nautique owners that are SNOBs. They are all unbiased like me. Tongue.gif

Edited by SGY

I also agree that the OP owes it to herself to take a hard look at the RLXi. At the margain I don't think there's that much more room in the newer SLXi. And the SLXi, from what I've heard, does nothing great. The RLXi, on the other hand skies great and will satisfy any intermediate wakeboarding aspirations for a long time. (Of course, if this were a CC forum I'd be pushing the CC 206--saying the same thing comparing the 216 vs. 206. Don't want to start a boat war so if you're curious about the 206, post something on Planetnautique.com and I'll respond.)

You'd be surprised at how much bigger the new SLXI feels compared with the RLXI. I do agree that for a hard core ski boat the RLXI is incredibly comfortable & roomy with good storage, but the '05 & newer SLXIs feel much, much bigger inside. The "classic" SLXI is much closer in feel to the RLXI, the new one is just huge inside. Our dealer had an '05 RLXI & '05 SLXI sitting side by side at the boat show this year & even though I was there all weekend & should have gotten used to the difference in size, I didn't. I've spent a fair amount of time in the classic SLXI & the new one is just a completely different animal.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you're looking at the classic SLXI, then look at the RLXI since they are very comparable in terms of feel & storage. But if you really like the size & room in the new SLXI, then don't even bother with the other 2 since they really don't compare (apples & oranges).