Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

question: rip in rubber in ski locker?

Woodshed

1996 Malibu Echelon LX. The ski locker always has a couple inches of water in it after every use. I hate that, but I guess it's common. Thing is, there is a rubber lining. The lining has a rip in the very bottom and the water easily gets under the rubber and sloshes for and aft under the rubber and I think to the bilge.

How bad is it that water, which I can never completely get out from under the rubber lining?

Thanks

Edited by Woodshed

I suspect you have a leak from your HDS.

I had the same problem and wanted to determine where the water was coming in. Originally, i thought it was via the dripping from the the shaft log, but further investigation revealed that my HDS box had a leak. To determine this, I sat the boat in the water and started to remove the rubber lining in ski locker ( I have a 1996 SSLX). To do this, I used a Stanley Knife and cut around the top of the lining, it pulled right out very easily. To my surprise I could see a small amount of water seeping through a small crack in the fiberglass! The crack was actually the beginning of separation between 2 layers of fiberglass. I dried all the water and watched it slowly seeping through. I then removed the covers on both sides of inside of the engine bay to allow access into the stringer channels (not sure what these are called exactly), when I put my hand in there i could feel a small amount of water, I then traced it back to the rear and found that it was coming in around the HDS box.

The alternative method, which i later learned was to slowly fill the boat with fresh water while on the trailer and watch to see if it comes out anywhere. You have to be careful not to overload your trailer with weight.

The conclusion was that with the HDS box re-fiber glassed ($400), the boat does not leak at all and every compartment is dry.

PM me if you need further explanations.

Edited by New2Texas

Wow,,, How much did it cost to replace the rubber in your ski locker? Also,,, what is a HDS?

sorry noobe here...