Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Uneven cooling

I noticed that my 1988 Sunsetter with a 350 was heating up on the port side. I couldn't put my hand on the exhaust riser on that side. I have just installed a new impeller in my raw water pump and a new 160 thermostat that I checked before installing

What is the function of the spring loaded check valves just above and inside the theromstat housing? The hoses come from this point and go to the exhaust risers. How can I tell if the spring tension is set correctly?

Can anyone teel me where I can find a drawing that explains the entire cooling system? I live in a remote area and need to address most of my servicing needs myself.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I have a similar issue on a 2000 Response with the Monsoon. Raw water pump is trying to push water through but it is just building up pressure on the outtake hose off of the raw water pump assemble. Even if the thermostate was stuck closed, shouldn't the water be able to pump out to the exhaust?

I have a similar issue on a 2000 Response with the Monsoon. Raw water pump is trying to push water through but it is just building up pressure on the outtake hose off of the raw water pump assemble. Even if the thermostate was stuck closed, shouldn't the water be able to pump out to the exhaust?

yes, even w a stuck thermostat it should dump water to the exhaust.

is your transmission cooler blocked by debris?

Edited by tvano

Transmission cooler is not blocked. I took the out take hose off of the raw water pump. Shoved a garden hose up the in take hose and fired it up. Not a drop of water came out the out take side of the pump housing. I have a new impeller and a new gasket. Very very odd. I am out of ideas except to buy a new raw water pump housing. No clue as to why it will not pull water through.

Transmission cooler is not blocked. I took the out take hose off of the raw water pump. Shoved a garden hose up the in take hose and fired it up. Not a drop of water came out the out take side of the pump housing. I have a new impeller and a new gasket. Very very odd. I am out of ideas except to buy a new raw water pump housing. No clue as to why it will not pull water through.

the only wag i've got is infant mortality on that impeller. on occasion the metal shaft spins on the rubber part of the assy.

she may look clean but could be sick.

possible clogged water passages in the head on one side? I had this happen to an engine years ago just before the head gasket blew (water had to go somewhere) lots of scale in the passages due to sitting/lack of use....

• 2 weeks later...

For what it is worth, it seems to be the seal on the back of the impeller housing where the shaft comes in to spin the impeller. I was so focused on the gasket for the front cover and the actual impeller that I did not think of the one on the back of the housing. My buddy gooped some silicone behing the impleller, against the back of the housing. That seemed to get er goin. Will get a new seal and hope it was the only problem.

Thanks all for the help.