Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PROP WONT TURN

I have a 2001 Malibu Wakesetter. 325hp Monsoon V-drive. I had it out a couple of weeks ago and determined it needed a tune up, which I did this evening. The boat started fine. I went to give it a little extra throttle above idle and forgot to disengage the drive. It made a squealing sound. I realized I was in gear(for maybe 5 seconds or so) and I went back to Idle and shut it down. Later I tried to turn the prop and it was very stiff, difficult to turn, I do not remember it ever being like that before. Is it normal for the prop to be difficult to turn? Will this stiffness work itself out once it is in the water?

I have a 2001 Malibu Wakesetter. 325hp Monsoon V-drive. I had it out a couple of weeks ago and determined it needed a tune up, which I did this evening. The boat started fine. I went to give it a little extra throttle above idle and forgot to disengage the drive. It made a squealing sound. I realized I was in gear(for maybe 5 seconds or so) and I went back to Idle and shut it down. Later I tried to turn the prop and it was very stiff, difficult to turn, I do not remember it ever being like that before. Is it normal for the prop to be difficult to turn? Will this stiffness work itself out once it is in the water?

I'd say you burnt up your strut bearing. It's a rubber sleeve that depends on water for lubrication ... not to be the bearer of bad news, but if the prop is hard to spin in neutral now, you probably need to replace the bearing.

I can only comment on my shaft bearing. In the driveway when the bearing is dry, it is quite difficult to turn by hand. Sqeeks and groans If you only ran it for 5 seconds out of the water I can't imagine that you heated it up enough to damage it. Get under the hull with a garden hose and soak her down and try to spin the prop by hand.

As Wake My Day and t a said I dough you did any damage in 5 seconds. You do not want to spin your prop out of the water with the motor. Being in the water is the lubricant for the shaft bearing. It is common to be very tight if dry out of the water. It will sound bad even turning it by hand.

I recently did some serious prop damage on 2008 wake setter LSV. Replaced the prop today (dry and on trailer). After replacing the prop does not turn while on trailer. Is this normal? Or may I have a bigger problem on my hands with bent shaft or other?

Shaft looks normal and noticeable bend.

Thank in advance for repsonse.

brian

I recently did some serious prop damage on 2008 wake setter LSV. Replaced the prop today (dry and on trailer). After replacing the prop does not turn while on trailer. Is this normal? Or may I have a bigger problem on my hands with bent shaft or other?

Shaft looks normal and noticeable bend.

Thank in advance for repsonse.

brian

Wet the strut with a water hose and then try turning prop by hand