Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seriously?!

PhishJY

As mentioned in another thread (http://www.themalibu...epth-lake-temp/), I've been having some issues that required a trip to the dealer. While it was there, I had them remove some dock rash that had appeared on the rear of the starboard side. I suspected that the guys at the marina had allowed the boat to hit the dock, but wasn't 100% sure. Since I don't want to point fingers unless I am certain that the marina is at fault, I let it go, thinking that it was possible that I did it one afternoon pulling up to the gas dock. Last Saturday I got my boat back, so I go put it in and drive it the 100 yards from the ramp to the dock to put the boat back in dry storage.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. The wife gets off work early, so I leave work early myself to go to the lake. I call the marina and tell them to put my boat in. When I arrive at the marina, my boat is in the water. As we put our gear on the boat, my wife notices that there is dock rash on the boat...in the same place that the dealer just removed it. Strike 1. I'm pissed, but I decide that I'll deal with it later, after I calm down. We both do some complaining to each other about the dock rash as we idle out of the marina, but in the grand scheme of things, it could've been worse.

After leaving the no wake zone, I accelerate to get on plane. As I accelerate, the boat begins to shake uncontrollably. I immediately put the throttle back to neutral, and start thinking about the posts I've read on here and considering what could be causing the shaking. Prop? Shaft? Strut? Trash wrapped around prop? It's nearly 5 p.m., so I call the manager and ask her to make sure that the guy who drives the forklift doesn't leave because I have a problem & will need them to take my boat out. I call the service manager at the dealer and ask if he took the boat out while he was working on it. He said that he put it in the water, but it never left the trailer. I explained the situation and he tells me that one time, he had a similar problem with a brand new boat coming from the factory. Turned out it was something minor like they had a piece of shipping material that had wrapped itself around the prop. He said that it isn't always something major, so just get the boat back to the dock, inspect the prop & surrounding parts, and please call him back & let him know what the issue was.

I idle back to the marina & we unload the boat while we wait for the forklift driver to show up. After about 5 minutes, the driver and one of the other workers shows up. While one goes to get the forklift, the other one unties my boat from the cleats and starts walking it toward the loading/unloading area. To position the boat for loading requires a 90 degree turn (i.e.- boat facing south, but has to be spun around to face east). As the guy is turning the boat, he's not even paying attention to the location of the transom relative to the dock. While he turns the boat I have to kneel down and keep the boat from hitting the dock TWICE. Strike 2. That explains the source of the dock rash. Now, I'm good and pissed.

After this Einstein gets my boat positioned, the guy on the forklift begins lifting the boat out of the water. I make my way around to the dock at the loading area. I look at the prop and see that one of my blades is bent! Strike 3; I'm about to explode. Then Einstein the Toothless Wonder takes a look at it and nonchalantly says, "Man, that ain't too bad. I can bend that back, no problem." I look at him and said, "Not on this damn boat, you aren't." I look at the forklift driver and say, "Just put it inside; I'll get it this weekend", and walk to my car.

The ONLY good thing that happened was when I complained to the manager on my way out. She accepted responsibility for the damage, was very apologetic, and said that she was going to get in touch with their insurance company and get an adjuster to come out and look at the boat. +1 for the marina manager.

On the way home, I stopped by the dealer and showed them the attached picture. The manager said that he hopes that the only damage is to the prop and that the hull isn't cracked. I looked at him and replied, "Now that you mention it, me too."

Sorry for the blog entry, but I had to complain somewhere. Now for the question:

The dealer offered to let me borrow a new prop that is identical to mine while mine is being rebuilt (+1), but now that I've had time to calm down & think about it, I'm not going to do it. The way I see it, my boat has 23 hours on it, not 200 hours, so the marina owes me a new prop. Here's the crappy part: Since I have notified the manager and she's going to get their insurance company involved, I am not going to touch my boat until the adjuster has looked at it. I just hope the adjuster doesn't take two weeks to show up.

What would y'all do in my situation?

Edit:

Marina: Bay Hill

Dealer: Skier's Marine

I forgot to include that I haven't hit anything. :)

post-18204-0-56312300-1337329149_thumb.j

Edited by PhishJY

Wow! Sorry to hear about your bad experience. If it were me I would submit the previous dock rash repair bill to the insurance co. Hopefully you can get the money back you already spent to fix it the first time. Then I would have the dealer write up another estimate to repair the new dock rash along with any other scratches that could have been from the marinas negligent workers. Have the dealer include the MSRP cost of a NEW prop - now would be a good time to pick one out that you want if something different - prices can vary. I would also determine how much down time you have had and demand a reimbursement for loss of use... Then keep all of your estimates in your pocket and wait for their insurance company to give you their estimate. If yours is higher than theirs then you can show them what your "real life" estimate is. If theirs is higher than yours then smile and walk away. After that is all said and done I would consider going to a different marina or trailering my boat (if that's an option) in the future.

Put that baby on a lift. You'll never regret it.

:plus1: Had the same problems with the guys running the forklifts at my marina. It just took one incident for me to decide to put it in a wet slip with a lift.

Could not have siad it better, time to find a lift and you do the moving not someone who has no vested intrest in you investment!

I hope it just the prop! Good luck and keep us posted.

I would do everything NorrisMIke said minus pushing for loss of use. There is absolutely no reason you should have to pay for the first dock rash fix, the second dock rash fix, OR your prop. That marina should be footing the entire bill because you aren't at fault one bit. It sounds like you're very hesitant to push for others to pay for things. Think about it like this. Did you cause the dock rash the first time? You said you weren't sure, maybe you'll let it slide. Did you cause it the second time? Definitely not. Did you bend your prop? Definitely not and the tech even said "I tested it on the trailer". So you know he put it in, rev'd it up and the prop hit the prop cage on your trailer. Look for nicks in the paint on your trailer which would prove my hypothesis. If they did nick the paint that will rust too, include repainting that part of the trailer in your claim.

The fact is you didn't do anything to your boat, the marina workers (and by the transitive property) the marina did - THEY are 100% liable. The manager sounded willing to work with you. I wouldn't push for loss of use because I wouldn't want to make the manager feel like I'm trying to take advantage of the situation but I would certainly push for them paying for all the fixing for everything they ruined.

As a side note the knowledge of the marina hands you witnessed should tell you one thing: Don't ever go back after this is resolved.

1) They knocked your boat around multiple times

2) They bent your prop by slamming the prop on your own trailer

3) He said "I can bend that prop back no problem" (He has no idea that props need to be perfectly balanced).

Get your stuff handled the best way you can and never go back. I don't care if your only other option is trailering it there every day. Worth it not to have some idiot touch my boat.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Thanks for all the replies! To address some of your statements:

If it were me I would submit the previous dock rash repair bill to the insurance co....Then I would have the dealer write up another estimate to repair the new dock rash along with any other scratches that could have been from the marinas negligent workers. Have the dealer include the MSRP cost of a NEW prop...I would also determine how much down time you have had and demand a reimbursement for loss of use...After that is all said and done I would consider going to a different marina or trailering my boat (if that's an option) in the future.

Repair bill for the dock rash was $0. The guy said he took a magic eraser to it very lightly and it came right off. That's my plan to correct it this time. Once the adjuster looks at the boat, I'm pulling it out, going straight to the dealer and having it repaired. I'll pay out of my pocket to get the boat fixed quicker. The insurance company can reimburse me later. As for loss of use, I thought about it, but I just want the boat fixed. I probably could go to court and get reimbursed for loss of use, but it's not worth it to me. I would rather spend my money on putting gas in the boat, which as everyone here knows, costs about as much per hour as an attorney...well, not quite, but you get the picture. As for going to a different marina, I don't have that luxury. Guess I'll be trailering until we can get a house on the river.

Unfortunately, I don't have that option, because this marina does not have any wet slips with a lift. Hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it, and it would be an excellent idea if it were available.

It sounds like you're very hesitant to push for others to pay for things...Did you bend your prop? Definitely not and the tech even said "I tested it on the trailer". So you know he put it in, rev'd it up and the prop hit the prop cage on your trailer. Look for nicks in the paint on your trailer which would prove my hypothesis. If they did nick the paint that will rust too, include repainting that part of the trailer in your claim.

...As a side note the knowledge of the marina hands you witnessed should tell you one thing: Don't ever go back after this is resolved...

...Worth it not to have some idiot touch my boat.

Nah, I'm not hesitant to push to have people pay for damages they caused. I have been on both sides of this type of situation, and before I demand that someone pay, I'm going to be 100% certain that it's their fault. If I don't pay enough attention to be sure that it's 100% their fault, I'll pay. I look at it like this: It's MY boat and it's MY responsibility to make sure it's taken care of. If I don't know when damage occurred or who caused the damage, it's MY responsibility to fix it. It's kinda like an ignorance fee; If I'm dumb enough to not pay attention to my boat, it's gonna cost me. In this situation, I can say with 100% certainty that the marina damaged my prop & scuffed my boat.

I checked the trailer this morning on my way to work. Not a single scratch on the trailer, and if the service manager at the dealer had been the person to damage the prop, they would have stepped up to fix it. Not a single doubt in my mind about that. VERY reputable dealer. When I took the boat out to carry it to the dealer, I checked the prop as soon as it came out of the water. I made it a habit to look at the prop after taking it out because I had a friend that ruined his one day trying to get it on the trailer (hit the prop cage).

The extensive knowledge of the deck hands is a red flag indeed. That is why my boat will no longer be stored there.

Sorry to hear about this. It's posts like yours that make me not trust anyone else with my boat.... even after working with dealers like Bakes, CdA & Sundown... the guys I hang around with are not always the monkey messing with the boat.

Not too proud of it, but i've bent my prop on both driftwood and my prop cage. That prop definitely didn't hit the prop cage. If it had, it would have jagged edges and possibly cracks where it was bent. Looks to me like it hit a piece of driftwood which would explain the smooth bends. Either way, I'm really sorry to hear that this happened. These are the worst situations to have deal with. Any chance that when the "toothless wonder" put the boat in the first time, he putted around the marina and hit a log? Hope you get it resolved quickly and fairly.

I think I imagined the damage to be much greater than it actually was/is. HAAH! That was my grumpy cuz I'm up at 4am and can't sleep cuz my friggin back hurts response.... :)

Nobody is gonna take care of your stuff better than you...I have learned that the hard way. That's why I try to do everything that I can on my boat and my vehicles....reason why I always park my truck half a mile away from whatever store I am visiting because people just don't give a crap.

Sorry about your experiences...you will be back on the water soon I hope. Good luck!

When I got my Malibu back in 06' my friend that goes out with me a lot said that he would not drive the boat on the trailer until I got my first scratch/ding on it...he has still yet to load that sucker! Knock on wood!

Sounds like you've got it worked out Phish. I trailer my boat 20 minutes every day I want to ride and it's not a big deal to me at all. It's very worth it not to have anyone other than me touch the boat. I'm not saying I'm some boat pro and only I'm certified to touch it, but if I were to screw something up it wouldn't bother me because it was my own fault. If someone else damaged something I would only think of that when I looked at the boat and how that blemish wouldn't need to be there.

Totally agree with your reasoning in getting things sorted and I'm the same way, I'll want to be certain things were other peoples fault before pressing for compensation. You'll be much happier trailering I think. You will get used to it faster than you think.

[uPDATE]

Chad (manager) from Skier's Marine met me at the marina to inspect the damage. Seems I was VERY lucky. No hull, strut, or gelcoat damage, and the driveshaft appears to be ok. So, it looks like the only thing damaged was the prop, which is the best I could have hoped for. I'm going out tomorrow on the loaner prop that Chad installed and I am keeping my fingers crossed that there are no strange vibrations. A new prop has been ordered, which I will be paying out of pocket for (I don't have all summer to wait on an insurance company to pay me so I can order the new prop), so hopefully, the insurance reimbursement will be quick. Unfortunately, after having a house, car, and boat destroyed by a tornado in April 2011, I have ZERO faith in insurance companies resolving claims expeditiously.

I can't say enough about the manager at the marina. She has been very understanding of my position, and I would continue to do business with her if the staff were to be replaced.

Thanks again for the advice!

Good for you. That picture should be all that the insurance company needs to pay you retail for the prop. Don't let them tell you otherwise....

[uPDATE]

Chad (manager) from Skier's Marine met me at the marina to inspect the damage. Seems I was VERY lucky. No hull, strut, or gelcoat damage, and the driveshaft appears to be ok. So, it looks like the only thing damaged was the prop, which is the best I could have hoped for. I'm going out tomorrow on the loaner prop that Chad installed and I am keeping my fingers crossed that there are no strange vibrations. A new prop has been ordered, which I will be paying out of pocket for (I don't have all summer to wait on an insurance company to pay me so I can order the new prop), so hopefully, the insurance reimbursement will be quick. Unfortunately, after having a house, car, and boat destroyed by a tornado in April 2011, I have ZERO faith in insurance companies resolving claims expeditiously.

I can't say enough about the manager at the marina. She has been very understanding of my position, and I would continue to do business with her if the staff were to be replaced.

Thanks again for the advice!

How was the ride with the new prop? Any vibrations?

Just an FYI, if making an insurance claim for a new prop, don't you have a deductible? Secondly, from the looks of it, you don't need a new prop anyway, just needs to be reworked which is about 120-160 and should take less than 3 days to do.

Just an FYI, if making an insurance claim for a new prop, don't you have a deductible? Secondly, from the looks of it, you don't need a new prop anyway, just needs to be reworked which is about 120-160 and should take less than 3 days to do.

Read the whole thread :whistle: He deserves a new prop and the marina's insurance should be covering it...

Wow, we were just considering using a dry dock marina http://www.rockvamboatyards.com here in Minnesota. I am really not into anyone else docking my boat (they would never to it to my standards) and all it would take would be one miscalculation driving that forklift and serious damage would be incurred. I think I am going to stick to trailering after reading this post.

• 3 weeks later...

Would push for the insurance to replace the prop since they have already assumed liability (hopefully written acknowledgement from the marina) what/how/where you have it fixed is up to your descretion. Since the prop was new you have the option to request a new one. Metallurgy on SS is compromised when you bend and restraighten it (it becomes less mallable) so repaired is not the same as new although most will likely never know the difference. Also price difference is small dollars to an insurance company.

I just recently went through this with my camaro that was at a Les Schwab store for some tire mounting. They ran a truck into the door which required replacement. Dealer provided me a damage report (showing they were at fault) and said i needed to submit 3 estimates. Didnt want to argue with the guy but that isnt a requirement (nor is where you decide to take it). I spoke to their adjuster several days later and let her know the 2 i provided her were a courtsey to them and wasnt required. Also explained i negotiate contracts for a living and am well versed on liability laws. She offered that i had the right to take it where i want. I ultimately chose the lesser priced shop based on more favorable reviews but in both estimates told then no used on non oem parts could be used as there is no requirement for me to accept this type of repair.

Eveything worked out fine and they payed the shop directly (also no deductable when someone else is at fault- just a requirement with you contact with your insurance company).

Also may be hard to collect on loss of use but if the boat was disabled for an extended time and you has a boating vacation planned, they could be liable for renting a comprable replacement boat for the vacation.

Edited by Roster man