Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Brakes

I have trailer brakes which are not working at all. I don't pull the trailer too far, so I'm not planning on spending the money to fix them.

The problem is that the trailer is very noisy when you hit the brakes or take off from a dead stop, because there's no pressure in the brake system.

So the trailer tongue that rotates to activate the brakes when you're stopping is basically moving freely.

Has anybody figured out a way to lock the tongue in place without putting a completely new one one?

Sorry, probably a bad explanation. But anyone who's had the same problem will know exactly what i'm talking about!

I know what you're saying.

Just strap this around the rear part of the "sliding pin" and you're done.

It will lock out the brakes permanently and get rid of that awful clunk at start and stop.

does your tongue have the cylinder on top, that flexes up to apply brake pressure (old style), or one that slides one square tube inside the other to compress the cylinder?

If it is the second one, then I would think you could put small plates on each side to prevent the front from sliding back. You could clamp them on or bolt them on.

I would be concerned about the brake pads moving and becoming stuck on the disks or drums and building up heat.

I know what you're saying.

Just strap this around the rear part of the "sliding pin" and you're done.

It will lock out the brakes permanently and get rid of that awful clunk at start and stop.

Thanks! Are these universal?

Sorry,

I purposely got back on line before I ate dinner to tell you that these are for a UFP A-60 actuator.

What kind of actuator do you have?

I know exactly what you are talking about and it sounds like your master cylinder is shot.

The master cylinder is cheap and easy to replace....you might be able to have the shock welded so that it will not move.

If it were me, I'd fix the breaks

If you have the UFP style, a permanent fix is to tack weld along the sliding parts edges to the other part it slides into. If you where to ever want brakes again, then you would have to grind off the welds and more than likely, replace the whole actuator slide assembly, think I found it fir around $200 somewhere on the web (pacifictrailers.com or something like that).

In Connecticut any trailer over 3000lbs must have brakes its the law. I just spent 931 dollars on my new set up that was installed . The owner before me only towed it down the down the road to his boat ramp and didn't need them he said.

It looks exactly like this one.

The parts for the Atwood are not that expensive. I'd recommend repairing your brakes. I have had two trailers with UFP actuators that I converted to electric drum brakes, so I had to immobilize the actuator. I didn't want to screw up the path back to hydraulic drums if the next owner wanted them, so I removed the old defunct master cylinder inside the actuator to make some space, then drilled a couple holes through the trailer outer wall and the actuators inner wall and put some grade 8 bolts through. I could take the bolts out and the housing would still be fine for a new actuator to be installed. My favorite trailer online retailers:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/

https://www.etrailer.com/

Edited by Asmodeus2112