Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Direct drive auto ballast

New2Texas

Would like to see some photos of auto ballast systems in direct drive boats. share your photos please.

Thanks guys! Very helpful. So I have to ask if there is any consensus on the size/weight of the bags that should/can be run for a dd boat that allows for a better wakeboard wake and a decent (ie rope less ) surf wake? My weight rating tag says 1550lbs but my gut is telling me 2x 750lb bags (I don't necessarily have to fill them 100%) that would go on either side of the engine for wake boarding and in a "L" shape for surfing. I would add perhaps a 250-400lb bag up in the bow on the surf side. Is this too much for my 01sunsetter? I also have a Wedge as well. Thoughts? 2x 500lb instead of 750lb? Is the front bow bag necessary?

I run roughly 1400# when we surf our 98 SSLX. 750 goofy, 400 rear and 250-300 ski locker + wedge. Can surf ropeless all day long. It's not as nice as my buddies' LSV, but still fun. You'll definitely want some weight in the ski locker or forward if you're running the wedge. It's a lot of weight, driver has to be careful, but very manageable.

I'm in the process of semi-automating my ballast similar to the above video, but after much debate decided to go with reversible pumps instead of aerators. More expensive, but less hassle. My goal was to make it EASY.

Hi Guys

The bags in the video are 2 x 400lb. I don't surf but I have seen a thread on here where someone was surfing behind the same boat as me so I know you can create surf wakes in these older bu's. The wake the two bags create either side of the engine is significantly larger than the stock wake at the speed I wake board at (22mph). I don't need a bag up front but I am going to add a 200lb tube sac that can sit forward of the engine. You have to be carefull in these older boats because the waterboard is very low. I have had water come over the bow with no extra weight in the bow. I also think that if you add the extra bag in the bow it can go in the isle, you don't need to place it on the side of the boat for surfing. For surfing you could do 2 x 550lb bags in one of the back corners, I think 1,100lb's in one corner will be sufficient, of course, the more the better.

Thanks for the responses...I think I'll reach out to wakemakers and see what they think. They make a package deal for DD boats that comes with two 750lb sacs and a pump for $300. As long as they make me feel confident that's it's not too much then I'll bite the bullet. I'll go manual fill this summer but could see going semi auto next summer once we dial it in.

Thanks again

Thanks for the responses...I think I'll reach out to wakemakers and see what they think. They make a package deal for DD boats that comes with two 750lb sacs and a pump for $300. As long as they make me feel confident that's it's not too much then I'll bite the bullet. I'll go manual fill this summer but could see going semi auto next summer once we dial it in.

Thanks again

Can you post a link to them, I can't find any for $300. Would be nice to find some 500's if I can find some instead. I'm worried 750's might be too much pressure on motor box.

I surf the Echelon Lx ropelss no problem. My wife and 11 year old too. Here's the set up:

750# on one side side all the way back and under the bench seat which is up in sun platform mode

400# in the ski locker

Usually a full tank of fuel

Manual wedge down

Driver, 120# kid in rear surf corner on sun deck, 100# kid on surf side gunnel, 40# kid on engine cover.

We can ride this set up regular or goofy, no problem at all. Teak is about 2 inches under water at idle. The back foot or so of the rub rail is under water at speed. Gotta be careful, especially with the stops. There is not much freeboard with the Echelon, a little more with the SS.

Here are some pics. In the last one there were 5 kids all around the engine plus the driver, wake was huge but pocket was poor. I think 2 750's would be wayyy to much. Start with 1, and some ballast in the locker, wedge down, and go from there.

post-8942-0-88163400-1337949000_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-38660800-1337949011_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-76576200-1337949033_thumb.jp

Well I purchased the 2x 750lb sacs today from wakemakers. Comes as a package and can't wait to start experimenting, albeit slowly, with the setup. Will post pics once installed of various fill setups for both wake boarding and wakesurfing

• 2 weeks later...

Well I purchased the 2x 750lb sacs today from wakemakers. Comes as a package and can't wait to start experimenting, albeit slowly, with the setup. Will post pics once installed of various fill setups for both wake boarding and wakesurfing

How are the 750's working for you? Do they fit good around the motor box, or should I go with 500's? Any pics yet of wake?

I am thinking of getting the ski locker bag and either 500 or 750 bags so I can really learn to surf.

Here's the writeup and pictures I just put together for my system. It wakeboards and surfs amazingly well, and I can still use it as a world-class slalom boat: