Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody else had a problem with depth & lake temp?

PhishJY

About 2 weeks ago, I was out on the lake when all of the sudden, the shallow water alarm goes off and the gauges show that I'm in 1.1' of water. As I have spent several summers on this lake, I knew that I wasn't in shallow water. To be safe, I slowed down immediately, just in case there was a submerged log just below the surface. The alarm goes off for 5 seconds or so, and then returns to the proper depth of ~15'. I figured that maybe there was something floating under the water, but it would've had to been pretty large for the shallow water alarm to go off, right? An hour or so later, the alarm goes off again, for maybe 30 seconds, and then returns to the proper depth. This happened numerous times that day, with increasing frequency. Finally, I just disabled the alarm. Later that day, I noticed that the depth was stuck at 22' and the lake temperature was stuck at 78 degrees. I thought that maybe something computer-related had hung, so I powered off Maliview and used the battery disconnect switch to cut power to everything. I left everything off for a few minutes and then turned everything back on. After everything came back up, my lake temperature was stuck at 32 degrees and depth was stuck at 0.0'. It couldn't have happened at a better time, as I was already planning to get the boat back to the dealer the next day for the 20 hr. service.

While the boat was being serviced, the technician checked out the temperature issue and said he couldn't find any problems. He might have included the depth issue, but I can't recall one way or the other. Regardless, he said to bring it back if it happened again.

The next weekend, I took the boat out again. Everything was working flawlessly for the first 2-3 hours I was on the lake. Then, the depth issue reappeared. I returned the boat to the dealer & they put in a new transducer. I haven't had a chance to verify that fixed the problem, but when I put the boat back in the water to return it to dry storage (in water ~10 minutes), everything appeared to be working normally. I should include that I cannot complain about my dealer, Skier's Marine, as they have taken care of me so far.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

My depth gauge has been doing the same thing. Let me know if the new transducer helps...

Haven't noticed any discrepancies on the temperature though.

Funny you mention it, I have had a couple hiccups lately as well. I didn't notice any temp issues but I have seen what appears to be ghost obstructions on the Malivue in a marina that I saw dry before they filled it so I know there was no fixed obstructions down there. Please keep us up to date on the problem. Thanks, Bill.

My 2011 VTX used to alarm all the time showing less than 5 ft when I was in over 60 ft of water. I ended up turning alarm off. The new VLX is not nearly as bad, but I have had a couple of false readings so far this season. Let us know if you fixed the issue!!

I have been wondering if my temp guage has been acting funny the last few weeks. It says 78, but the water doesn't feel it. Maybe I am just thin skinned in my older age. :cry:

I have been wondering if my temp guage has been acting funny the last few weeks. It says 78, but the water doesn't feel it. Maybe I am just thin skinned in my older age. :cry:

must be nice, mine said 44 yesterday, I've got a fairly thick skin but it doesn't help.

My water temp runs about 8 degrees high, I used to carry a fish aquarium thermometer to check the actual water temp and now I just subtract 8 degrees. From what I have been told there is no way to adjust the temp readings which just amazes me that my high end ski boat can't even tell me what the correct water temp is. Don't get me wrong, I love my boat, but I would love it even more if everything worked the way it should.

Terry

6-8 degrees high on my temp gauge, maybe one reason for this is its reading the temp 18" on top of water. When you jump in the lake you are 5-6 feet below water.

Regardless, its not dead accurate. My depth gauge always seems to work fine.

Edited by Fman

My depth gauge has always been accurate, but my temp gauge (both air and water) seems to be getting further and further out of what.

When I bought her last year, the air temp was fairly accurate and the water always showed a bit high. Yesterday, it was showing air temps of 95 degrees (it was really 85, and on the water it felt cooler than that). Water temp was showing 81, and the surface of the water can't be more than 65 right now...it was a bit chilly! I can't even trust it now which kind of sucks, but I'm not dumping a bunch of time/money getting it right either.

I think this is a feature not a flaw. The boat is trying to tell you to get your butt in the water. It might take a white lie here and there to make it happen.

• Like 1

My 2008 depth sensor has been doing the same thing for 3 seasons. it has been back to the dealer 5 or 6 times but not corrected yet.

Same type of problem - cruising in water 40 - 60 feet deep and the alarm goes off saying 1.2 to 3.3 feet.

[uPDATE]

I took the boat out yesterday for 3 hours or so. Temp acted ok and the depth read accurately the whole time. Looks like the transducer replacement fixed it!

[uPDATE]

Well, temp problem is fixed...but the depth issue is NOT resolved. Today, out of nowhere, the shallow water alarm started going off again...in 33' of water. Just like before, it is an intermittent problem, with no real pattern, except it starts happening on hot days (today was 90+ degrees) when the boat is in the water for several hours (we were on the water ~5.5 hrs). I'll be returning the boat to the dealer later this coming week to have them try again.

I'm having the same problem with the depth alarm on my new 23 LSV. My symptoms match yours exactly.

I will be taking it back to the dealer (70 miles away) in a week or so for my 20 hour service. I already have this on the list of things that need to be addressed.

I'm having the same problem with the depth alarm on my new 23 LSV. My symptoms match yours exactly.

I will be taking it back to the dealer (70 miles away) in a week or so for my 20 hour service. I already have this on the list of things that need to be addressed.

Athough I hate it for you, it's good to know someone else is having the same problems. Maybe Malibu will step up & decide to get their transducers from another supplier. I'm no boat technician, but through this experience, I suspect that the transducers are defective, or of poor design. After the repeat alarms on Saturday, i just disabled the depth alarm.

Let me know what you find out, and I will do likewise. Mine will be going to the shop on Thursday.

Edited by PhishJY

My 08, and my 11 both had inaccurate water and air temps displayed. I also would get shallow water alarms when near shore at aprox 15 ft of water it would randomly show 1-2 feet. Our lake has a bunch of plant life near shore and I always assumed that this was the cause.

My 08, and my 11 both had inaccurate water and air temps displayed. I also would get shallow water alarms when near shore at aprox 15 ft of water it would randomly show 1-2 feet. Our lake has a bunch of plant life near shore and I always assumed that this was the cause.

Thanks for the response. In my situation, I am nowhere near shore (couple hundred yards).

i had the same problem again this weekend, and on Tuesday night at a local lake. Happens about 3+ times / hour. Mine usually alarms and then the display goes to 0.8 feet. I have been trying to get this fixed since i bought the boat (spring 2009).

Water temp this weelend was about 85F. earlier in the week the lake I was in was 74.

Boat heading back to the dealer this week for another attempt.

i had the same problem again this weekend, and on Tuesday night at a local lake. Happens about 3+ times / hour. Mine usually alarms and then the display goes to 0.8 feet. I have been trying to get this fixed since i bought the boat (spring 2009).

Water temp this weelend was about 85F. earlier in the week the lake I was in was 74.

Boat heading back to the dealer this week for another attempt.

Depth/lake temp is a great feature to have, as long as it works. Unfortunately, right now it's a nuisance. I can't believe you've been fighting with this for 3 years! That's unbelievable. I don't have the patience that you possess.

Edit: When you spend the kind of money on a boat like a Malibu, there is NO REASON that the customerr should have to work 3 years to get a problem resolved! Please keep us posted.

Edited by PhishJY

My temp always works fine but the depth gauge on my 2012 did this over the weekend as well. Reads normally then the alarm goes off and shows 1 ft depth, then back to normal.

I think that the drain hose for the underseat cooler may be dripping onto it. It only does it after we have been out for a while when it's hot and the cooler is full of ice. See if re-routing that hose helps you.

This has been a problem in the Malibu boats for a long time. I have an 06 with the same issue. I have never been able to fix it and since it's intermittent The deal kept telling me it was fixed until the warranty ran out. I have resulted into disabling the audible warning and wiring in an LED instead. If anyone figures out a different brand transducer that will work with the integrated system, let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer installed a new transducer and module today. They tested it and said it works well.

We will be on the water all next week so I will give it lots of test time.

The thru-hull transducer is different and smaller and they made a new mount hole for it and left the old one in place.

The dealer installed a new transducer and module today. They tested it and said it works well.

We will be on the water all next week so I will give it lots of test time.

The thru-hull transducer is different and smaller and they made a new mount hole for it and left the old one in place.

Is it a new brand or model? I'd be curious what they put in. Mine is no longer under warranty, but I'd love to get this problem finally solved.