Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dead Gauge Cluster

Bass Lake Skier

So I recently bought a 2003 Malibu LXI (340 Monsoon) in the middle of winter so I did not get to test drive before the purchase. The boat has 83 hrs on it so it's essentially new. Before taken it out for the first time I bought a new battery and installed perfect pass wakeboard edition. Looking back I should have ran the boat first before doing the install to know if the problem below existed previous to the perfect pass install.

The first time in the water everything worked perfectly. The second time out the boat started and ran perfectly but the temperature, volt, battery gauge came on and off several times. I vaguely recall seeing the display on the speedometer say battery in the lower part of the gauge. The third time out the gauges never powered up at all but again the boat started and ran fine.

I checked for loose wires but do not see anything loose and am confident the perfect pass install is correct. I have not checked the battery voltage again but plan too tonight. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any ideas as to what may be going on?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

Some help, please, fellas--

How do you disconnect the cannon plug?

I've removed the hose clamp, but it won't budge. Does it pull straight out, or, is there a twist lock?

I've pried the rubber sheathing back, but can only go so far and am afraid I will damage it.

Many thanks in advance

I had my boat broken into and everything stolen out of it over the off season. Once everything was replaced and I got it out on the water for the first time, I was having similar problems with the gauges. When the key was "on" they seemed to work fine, but once the engine was running they all went to the max position and stayed there. Now when the boat is running I have no power to any of my gauges or accessories. I took it into Bakes and they think it's a bad MMDC - probably damaged during the theft somehow. I've ordered a new one but it's not a common part anymore - my boat is an '03, also. I was told approx three weeks to get it in and am still waiting. Should be in soon, hopefully and I'll update you once it's installed. If you come up with another solution or possible cause, please do the same.

Some help, please, fellas--

How do you disconnect the cannon plug?

I've removed the hose clamp, but it won't budge. Does it pull straight out, or, is there a twist lock?

I've pried the rubber sheathing back, but can only go so far and am afraid I will damage it.

Many thanks in advance

straight (no twisting) pull on my '04 will pull the pieces apart.