Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Pitch Intake Whistle on 2012 VLX

My VLX (Monsoon engine) has very noticable high pitch intake whistle at around 3K rpm. Was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same and if there is an easy fix.

Had same problem on mine last season, dealer thought I was crazy. They finally replaced the intake manifold and problem solved. Indmar is aware of this, they have a fix of filing the throttle body intake, which my dealer tried and it completely screwed the idle up.

The fix was replacing the intake manifold. They pulled one off the showroom floor off a different boat.

Had same problem on mine last season, dealer thought I was crazy. They finally replaced the intake manifold and problem solved. Indmar is aware of this, they have a fix of filing the throttle body intake, which my dealer tried and it completely screwed the idle up.

The fix was replacing the intake manifold. They pulled one off the showroom floor off a different boat.

Thanks Fman. I thought that I remembered you discussing the same issue awhile back. It's the kind of noise that doesen't bother you right away, rather it wears on you during the day. For now I just turn up the volume on the XM9"s. There is no way that I will let my dealer take a file to the TB so I guess I will have to weigh the "return on investment" with trying to get a new intake. I wonder if that is the reason you see some of the new 2012 Monsoon engines with an updated intake?

Our was obvious when sitting in the back seat, it would literally start to hurt your ears at about 3000-3200 RPMs, almost like a dog whistle/high pitch noise.... it really sucked. Call Indmar and see what they have to say, and I agree, dont have your dealer try and "fix" it with the filing method. Have them replace the intake manifold completely, good luck.

Our was obvious when sitting in the back seat, it would literally start to hurt your ears at about 3000-3200 RPMs, almost like a dog whistle/high pitch noise.... it really sucked. Call Indmar and see what they have to say, and I agree, dont have your dealer try and "fix" it with the filing method. Have them replace the intake manifold completely, good luck.

Exact same issue. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Any more updates on this issue ? I have a new-to-me this summer 07 RLXi and think I have the same issue. Problem is ... the wife heard it this weekend and now she is convinced the motor is going to blow up unless I get it fixed.

Does anyone know if the cause of the whistle could lead to longer term damage or big repair bills ? Or, is it just an annoyance ?

Check your pcv valve is not clogged, this will also create a whistling affect. Does the noise continue at all rpm's? My intake whistle would occur between 3000-3400 rpm's....

Thanks, I'll check that.

Based on the weekend, it "seems" to be only at lower RPM's. My passengers noticed it the most when sitting in the back seat on the ride back across the lake to the launch. It was rough, so I wasn't going fast. I think it's been there pretty much since day one, but my wife just noticed it, so now it's a problem.

Before we put it on the trailer, we lifted the motor box to see if we could pin point the source. When I drove at about 10 MPH it didn't seem to be there. However, I could make it come and go by pushing the throttle for second and then bringing it back to the same speed. There would be a pretty loud whistle for a second that would stop when I backed off again. By then, the trailer was ready, and there was a line up on the launch, so we shut it down.

PVC makes sense, but I'm also thinking it could be just the air cleaner vibrating at a certain air flow. One thought I had was to drive for a short bit with the air cleaner off to see if the sound goes away. Any issues with driving for a few minutes with no air cleaner ? Not much dust on the water, so I'm thinking it would be OK for a short while.

Guys...Mine makes the sound too. I think it is just the sound of your boat sucking money out of your wallet. :lol:

Edited by oceanbu
  • Like 2