Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tracking fin anatomy

I have a 2011 VTX with 2 tracking fins. I've been trying to hunt down a suspected leak someplace. Took off a lot of covers and found all the ballast tank fittings... all looked good. I wiggled a rectangular aluminum plate that was in between the front ballast pumps which I assumed was the backing plate for the gorilla fins. There is another that is just aft of the first one just underneath the fuel tank. So these seem to correspond to the fins. The front one I can wiggle back and forth a few millimeters... but it's not difficult. The back one I can lift the front of about 1 millimeter. I got under the boat and tried to move the fins... the front one might wiggle just a bit under great pressure... but I might be imaging it. I tried to see if any of the hex screws were loose. None turned at all... although I was using a pretty small screwdriver.

Anyone have any thoughts on this aluminum plate wiggling? Should it be solid? Do I need to crank down these bolts further? I can't even figure out how the bolts are hooked in there. My other thought is that the aluminum plate was just an access to get through a liner in the hull to get to the actual back of the bolts. Thoughts? Thanks.

Onn our 08 the bolts for the tracking fins are threaded directly into the glass and there are no alluminum plates. I was told it was done this way to allow it to break free if hit with minimal damage (6 small holes vs 1big hole). Looks like they may have changed their minds on that if the alluminum plate is for backing purposes.

Regardless if you suspect your fins are loose have them checked. We lost the front fin on ours last fall (with the help of a submerged log), it bounced down the length of the boat and went thru the prop. The boat was at thge dealer all winter and the final damage was $6500. Gotta say I love my insurance company right now!