Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding Rope Length?

state0598

Currently I have a 65' rope and handle, for wakeboarding. I am just a beginner at wakeboarding, but when I am directly behind the boat, the rope feels a little too short (I feel like I am too close to the "V" at the beginning of the wake). I guess Im asking if I should buy a 5' extension or a whole new rope. If the length has everything to do with personal preference maybe I need some tips on how to decide whats right for me. Is there rule of thumb on how far back into the wake you need to be?

Now that I think about it, the Illusion X tower ball mount sits a little further forward than the standard style towers. Could that have anything to do with it?

Well, once you develop you want the rope about as long as it can go, where it puts you right at the best part of the wake, right before it curls over.

As a novice you want it shorter, so you can clear the entire wake easier. Yes it can be too short, but unless your speed is way off, 65 shouldn't be too short. If anything, 65 is fairly long for a beginner.

You're right though, it's about preference. Try it longer, and you might like it. You can add on to what you have, or buy a new one.

Speed should be around 20-22 or so. Once you get better you might speed up, but I personally like 21-22 still after riding for a couple years.

You want the length & speed to allow you to consistenly land on the downside of the 2nd wake. As boomer said, you should be running in the low 20 MPH range.

If you're consistently landing in the trough or out in the flats, then lengthen the rope.

Also, if you're in the 'bump' where the wakes come together, then you can lengthen the rope to make you more comfortable, but you'll probably want to shorten it again when you start attempting to go wake-to-wake to make it easier. You really don't want to land on the up-side of the second wake - your body will thank you at the end of the day.

I haven't quite reached the ability to go wake to wake yet, but I understand that once I do, a shorter rope will make it easier. I'll have to wait for warmer weather to try out different rope lengths, and see what happens.

thanks

Welcome to the board. I think you will get to the point where you are riding at 70' at about 22 mph, its seems to be about right for most.

I see we are in the same city so you can borrow either one of my extensions if you want to try before you buy.

Sent you a pm too.

Welcome to the board. I think you will get to the point where you are riding at 70' at about 22 mph, its seems to be about right for most.

I see we are in the same city so you can borrow either one of my extensions if you want to try before you buy.

Sent you a pm too.

Thanks for writing sounds like we're close, sent you a pm as well

Scott