Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Rub Rails?

bdruf

I have a 93 Malibu Echelon LX, and it has been a great boat for me for the past 5 years that i've owned it. However, last summer my boat got caught under the edge of a pontoon and busted up the black rub rail that goes around the outside perimeter of the boat. I am trying to find this part to replace the busted up piece and i didn't know where the best place to get this would be. Thanks

Call Andrew at Bakes Marine and and give him these part numbers: insert(#5051112), base(#5050101) I have a 93 Sunsetter and i just ordered these part numbers. These are the correct part numbers for your boat also. Both the base and insert fit together correctly. I am going to install the rub rail this coming sunday and im hoping for the best. If i remember correctly the base was $170.00 and the insert was $100.00.

I'd suggest your local Malibu dealer as well, or first even. Bakes is a great source for non-Malibu parts. But not being a Malibu dealer anymore, Malibu parts will probably cost more...

Part #5051112 is $66. #5050101 is $145, plus shipping. Both from your local dealer.

Would you mind posting how this process went for you. I wouldn't mind doing this to my Echelon at some point. How is the base fastened to the hull? Rivets?

Would you mind posting how this process went for you. I wouldn't mind doing this to my Echelon at some point. How is the base fastened to the hull? Rivets?

Yes, and lots of them.

My rub rail is damaged at the very nose of the boat, where it would drag down off of the roller when launching (prior owner). I have the roller positioned correctly now. My insert is good, but the base is cracked at that point. My base was installed in two pieces, split just under the windshield area. I'd like to buy off someone just the front part of the base, if anyone replaces their current base and insert.

Yes, and lots of them.

My rub rail is damaged at the very nose of the boat, where it would drag down off of the roller when launching (prior owner). I have the roller positioned correctly now. My insert is good, but the base is cracked at that point. My base was installed in two pieces, split just under the windshield area. I'd like to buy off someone just the front part of the base, if anyone replaces their current base and insert.

Your base is only two pieces? I'd have to count but I'd say mine is at least 6-8. The nose on mine is damaged as well. Along with my insert along one side is missing about 18 inches (previous owner). I have no money in the budget for this project, but when I eventually take mine off I'll let you know.

And for the question above--yes, the base is riveted on.

michigan boarder, where did you re-mount your front roller. My rub rail is also busted up at the front from coming off the trailer at too much of an angle. I've been meaning to try to do something different with that if i replace that rail. do you have any pics of it? thanks

• 2 years later...

Interested in the topic and checking to see if anyone has found an easy way to fix the trailer roller situation. My trailer roller just this past weekend, drove my rub rail down right at the bow and I need to get that fixed. I'll more than likely have a dealer do it correctly, as theres slight fiberglass/gelcoat damage, but I want to fix the trailer so I never have to worry about this again. Any help would be much appreciated. 2000 Malibu Response on the factory single axle trailer.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Did anyone have issues with this rub rail? I ordered same parts and they do not click. Help please! The insert will not clip in to the base. 

Edited by Devin7
1 hour ago, Devin7 said:

Did anyone have issues with this rub rail? I ordered same parts and they do not click. Help please! The insert will not clip in to the base. 

Your insert is too big to fit into the base? I'm pretty sure it's a tight fit, and it should bolt together in the back above the swim platform.

No. It's a hard plastic and not pliable. I tried both hot water and heat to make this fit... No go. Had a new rub insert sent out to me and still no go. I think the base is the issue but now has 100 rivets in it!