Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gann manifold fitting interference

Noticed this spring there was some minor water leakage from the plastic Gann elbows that screw into the manifold and supply it with cooling water. Was able to back 3 of them out, wrap with Teflon tape and reinstall, however on the 4th I broke the threads off in the manifold. This is on a 2003 Monsoon 330. Even if I'm successful getting the threads out I've got a new fitting and noticed that the elbow interferes with the header coming off the manifold that takes the exhaust back to the muffler. To get a new one to screw in there I'd have to grind down more than half of the length of plastic that attaches to the rubber tube. This is only the case on the starboard, rear side of the motor (v-drive). The port side was very tight but there was barely enough clearance to re-thread the fitting. Anyone else run into this issue??

You'll have to remove the riser.

Just replace both riser gaskets and hardware on both sides when you do it. It's time anyway.

You'll have to remove the riser.

Just replace both riser gaskets and hardware on both sides when you do it. It's time anyway.

Would it hurt anything to just put a plug in it untill time to winterize?

Thanks Pete! That's what I was afraid of. Seems kind of dumb that they would design the motor this way...

I'm sure when Indmar is building the motor they have the luxury of putting the elbow on and then the riser.

Would it hurt anything to just put a plug in it untill time to winterize?

This elbow has water flowing through it, you don't wanna plug it.

I'm sure when Indmar is building the motor they have the luxury of putting the elbow on and then the riser.

This elbow has water flowing through it, you don't wanna plug it.

if this is the elbow that connects this hose

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=751

your saying water flows from one manifold to the other?

or is this just a convenient drain?

The particular elbow the OP is talking about is in the front of the motor. The elbows in the front of the motor are the ones that get supplied the water and they are the only ones that can't be removed w/o removing the risers.

So yes, if it were one of the rear elbows, I suppose you could just plug it off b/c (iirc) water isn't flowing through the rear elbows.