Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 21' Wakesetter Questions

I am looking at 2001 21' Wakesetter. I was wondering if there are any issues with this year model or anything I should look into? I was also wondering about the floor construction on this model. The floor in my old boat had major issues. I know the boat has set at a dealership uncover for around 5 months but, I am getting a hell of a deal on it. So I was wondering if there are any spots I should look at for this problem? I have driven the boat a year ago when my friend bought it the steering was very tight and after calling the dealer in my area he has said that it is the cables around $350 to fix. The boat has around 320 hours. I was also planning on a full service upon purchase if the deal goes through. I just have not owned an inboard

v-drive like this before my previous boat was a hand me down that I keep alive working on myself.

If your in Austin take it by the Malibu Dealer (CTWS) and have them do a full buyers check, then you will have a piece of mind as to what you are getting into. If you take it by CTWS, ask for Kenny in service.

As the floor goes no issues that I can think of, the stringers are fiberglass.

Also, "Wakesetter" is a package, you may want to check, is it a Wakesetter VLX or a Sunsetter VLX as the hulls are different.

Edited by srintx

Floor and all structure has no wood, so no real structural worries there.

A new steering cable is about $150 an an hour or so to change out.

I've got the Sunsetter VLX. Same boat. Different hull. I haven't found anything inherently wrong with the boat in the years I've owned it. Several things aren't as easy to take apart as the newer boats, but it all works and is solid. Floor is great. All fiberglass like 99 said. Only thing that's ever gone wrong is a few sensors have needed to be replaced. Nearly 400 hours.

I am looking at 2001 21' Wakesetter. I was wondering if there are any issues with this year model or anything I should look into? I was also wondering about the floor construction on this model. The floor in my old boat had major issues. I know the boat has set at a dealership uncover for around 5 months but, I am getting a hell of a deal on it. So I was wondering if there are any spots I should look at for this problem? I have driven the boat a year ago when my friend bought it the steering was very tight and after calling the dealer in my area he has said that it is the cables around $350 to fix. The boat has around 320 hours. I was also planning on a full service upon purchase if the deal goes through. I just have not owned an inboard

v-drive like this before my previous boat was a hand me down that I keep alive working on myself.

This isn't the yellow one in Temple is it?

Yes it is the one in Temple but I know the owner personally of the boay. I was talking to the guys at CTWS. A friend of a friend knows the the guy runs the board shop there. They were nice on the phone. I am going to try and get it checked out but I don't know that I will have time without taking off of work but, I am still unsure if everything will workout. I honestly do not care for Marine Outlet I have never heard good about them but, I have no personal experience with them.

Yes it is the one in Temple but I know the owner personally of the boay. I was talking to the guys at CTWS. A friend of a friend knows the the guy runs the board shop there. They were nice on the phone. I am going to try and get it checked out but I don't know that I will have time without taking off of work but, I am still unsure if everything will workout. I honestly do not care for Marine Outlet I have never heard good about them but, I have no personal experience with them.

I really like this boat and wanted to buy it, but even though we were really close we couldn't get into agreement on the price. If you know the owner you have more information than I did. I couldn't get any explanations as to how the boat got to be in this state. How did the prop/rudder get bent? Fall off trailer, in a flood in on a lift? How did the tower get bent, never seen that before. Anyway, I'd love to know some things about this boat, but at the end of the day it's not my business. Here's the thread I started when I was trying to buy this boat, might be of interest to you: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36465-tell-me-im-crazystupid-or-price-this-boat/

Well I last saw the boat a year ago drove it myself when the owner purchased it and as far as I could tell had none of these issues. I was wondering what the electrical issues were? The stereo worked fine when I was in it and I saw no issues with any electrical besides the amps heating up and turning off. Nothing serious that would make it not run just needed fluids changed and that was it. So the boat no longer runs? I have not had a chance to look at it personally I was just going off of how I saw it a year ago.

I really like this boat and wanted to buy it, but even though we were really close we couldn't get into agreement on the price. If you know the owner you have more information than I did. I couldn't get any explanations as to how the boat got to be in this state. How did the prop/rudder get bent? Fall off trailer, in a flood in on a lift? How did the tower get bent, never seen that before. Anyway, I'd love to know some things about this boat, but at the end of the day it's not my business. Here's the thread I started when I was trying to buy this boat, might be of interest to you: http://www.themalibu...rice-this-boat/

Wow, this would concearn me...

Wow, this would concearn me...

Hopefully he's getting a better deal than I was offered. I think this boat can be made well by the right person, for the right price, but it has to be soon. Every day that it sits in the sun and rain without a cover is a pity.

Well I last saw the boat a year ago drove it myself when the owner purchased it and as far as I could tell had none of these issues. I was wondering what the electrical issues were? The stereo worked fine when I was in it and I saw no issues with any electrical besides the amps heating up and turning off. Nothing serious that would make it not run just needed fluids changed and that was it. So the boat no longer runs? I have not had a chance to look at it personally I was just going off of how I saw it a year ago.

I suggest you get out there and see her. I think she could be driven with just replacing/repairing the prop and de-winterizing, but it's hard to tell. Pics in my thread are a month + old and we've had some storms. If you read my thread you'll see the marina's checklist that indicates almost none of the electronics work. When I was viewing the boat is was sitting out in the field and was still winterized with no battery connected so I can't confirm any of the dealers assessments. There are a lot of minor to moderate things that need work, and you will quickly be reminded that boat stands for "Bust Out Another Thousand"...

Yeah I was not looking for another project the electronic issues scare me.

Sorry man. Welcome to the forum though, I'd be lost without the help these people have given me. :werule:

Yes thanks to all for the help. I am unsure the difference in the two as to the wake it puts out but I can wake behind anything I really want to surf and I am in a $20k budget might could swing $25k.

Well, there is a few Vdrive in Texas on craigslist closer to the $25k range. There's a white one that I think was used in salt water.

Then I have a 01 Sunsetter LXI (direct drive) for sale too, that could fit your budget easily. If your interested in it, it is listed in boats for sale topic or send me pm and I'll send you the link. For a crew member my price will be a better than the listing price if someone was serious.

Good luck on your search! When you see one you like, you may want to ask a question or two about them one here, because chances are one of us has already looked at it or has talked to owner.

Yeah I was highly suprized that it was on here I had no idea it was in that condition it was such a nice boat a year ago. But I will take a look at your boat for sure.

IIRC there were a bunch of boats that were flooded down on the Guadalupe River after a big rain a couple of years ago. There was even video of some of them going downstream and over a dam. If these boats are still showing up they would have many electrical problems. I'd check any older boats from that area for that kind of damage if you didn't know it's history. There was video somewhere of many boats still in their slips that had been underwater.

Good luck on your search. If you are patient you can find a really nice boat for 20-25k.

This boat looks super sweet, and has been on the market for over a month. : http://odessa.craigslist.org/boa/2945632755.html

Best one out there is Pistol Pete's, but it's in CA. I think he's asking 23k? : http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/clebstuff/Boat%20for%20sale/

Here's a boat that looks pretty good: http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2942486332.html

Or this one maybe. I thought they sold it, but the ad is still up: http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2964976282.html

This boat looks nice, but not sure if you're up for the out of state thing: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2966315579.html

Another out of state boat: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/3004498166.html

IIRC there were a bunch of boats that were flooded down on the Guadalupe River after a big rain a couple of years ago. There was even video of some of them going downstream and over a dam. If these boats are still showing up they would have many electrical problems. I'd check any older boats from that area for that kind of damage if you didn't know it's history. There was video somewhere of many boats still in their slips that had been underwater.

Crazy...