Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rankin cover owners

Greg_S

I just got my cover and they did a pretty good job getting the holes in the right places for the rear tower posts. I may have to have the holes made smaller, but we'll see how it goes.

My questions are -

1. How do you set up the hook straps?

2. How tight do you pull the strap in the back? Does the Do those hook clips actually last that connect the rope that is inside the side zippers?

3. How tight do you pull the ones that come off the cover down onto the transom?

4. Any thing else?

Thanks.

1. The hook straps should hook on the rub rail. Start with the default position and adjust if it's not stretched tight after you tighten the rear straps.

2. Tighter than you think. The hook clips have lasted fine for us (but we've only had it a year). The rope stretches, though, so you'll end up tightening more as it breaks in.

3. Tighter than you think.

The cover should fit like a drum skin when it's tight. There will be no billowing, flapping, etc. as you're driving. My mistakes have all been in not tightening it enough. This allows the hooks to vibrate free and is not good.

I tighten the pull-strap first, then clip the ones that come down onto the transom and reef them down tight, then tighten the pull-strap again to take up the slack that I just created. Then I walk around the boat and make sure the hooks are under the rub rail. If the cover looks taut from side to side and front to rear (no wrinkles, sagging, etc.) you're good to go!

I just got my cover and they did a pretty good job getting the holes in the right places for the rear tower posts. I may have to have the holes made smaller, but we'll see how it goes.

My questions are -

1. How do you set up the hook straps?

2. How tight do you pull the strap in the back? Does the Do those hook clips actually last that connect the rope that is inside the side zippers?

3. How tight do you pull the ones that come off the cover down onto the transom?

4. Any thing else?

Thanks.

1. The hook straps have a velcro setup that you need to adjust. Make sure that when the hook is under the rubrail, it should be tight (kind of hard to describe, but you want it hard to get the hook under there).

2. I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you mean the strap that is hooked to the cord that goes underneath the rub rail, you want that very tight. It should be set up so that you can get a lof of leverage on it. The only thing that you need to watch out for on the cord is that on bow where the black vinyl is, there was 1 spot on each side that were in identical spots on each side that would leave little rub marks. Every boat is different so you may not get these, but it happened on our last boat. I fixed it by inserting a soft cloth on each side at those spots (I think it was the seam from the sunbrella to the vinyl that was doing it), problem solved.

3. I was told by Rankin that you need to be careful with those because if you continually get them too tight, over time it can stretch the cover. We tighten them up without reefing on them, if that makes sense.

Lastly, if you've just gotten the cover, it's good to put it on & leave it on for a day or 2 without messing with it. The first time it goes on is very hard & a 2 person job, but after that it will start to fit better. My MB that I had a few years ago had come with a Rankin that had been with it since day 1 & the boat was 4 years old - the cover still fit really, really well.

EDIT: Mike beat me to it. :)

Can't comment since the boat lives in our garage & I'm in & out of enough that I don't cover it. The cover is just for the road. The few times that I have had it on I relaxed it because it always seems like I need to get something out of the boat.

I keep my cover on all the time since it's on a lift. I just snug all the straps making sure the hooks are fitting well under the rubrail. When I'm towing with it, I really tighten it down so it won't flap at all.

Thanks, I'll go mess with it a little bit. When you have it in storage, do you keep everything tight or relax the straps a little.

I store mine in an indoor closed storage. I always relax all the straps.

Greg,

Did you order directly from Rankin? Would you provide contact info? Finally. what color did you go with?

Thanks.

http://www.rankincovers.com/ I dealt with Cory, very good guy to work with. I went with black.

My concern in the order, which was their's as well and they almost wouldn't make the cover for me was the rear tower support enclosure. All the ones I have seen have zipper boots and mine just has a hole for the support. I wouldn't mind some input on wether you think this hole will let in too much air while towing. I'm going to ask them too and I'm thinking I may stitch up the hole some or put some velcro on it.