Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on ballast

kennyo

I'm going to add some ballast to my 2003 Sunsetter Lxi for surfing. Any opinions or recommendations for the setup?

This is what I have planned. Wedge down, 400# port side, 400# rear, and 400# mid section.

Would like to do the 750# bags for the side and rear but don't want to damage engine housing.

Would the 400# bags be ok ya think?

Thanks.

I use the 400s (one in port locker and one on seat) along with the hard tanks (port-rear, mid and bow) and some additional in the bow.

Edited by mikeyg

Are the 400s the flyhigh v-drive sacs? If yes that is what I use on my Response LXI and they are just snug against the sides of the engine cover. If you can pull your rear seat completely out there is room for a 750 across the back. The 750s might put some unwanted stress on the sides of the engine cover.

I can run 2 v-drive sacks end to end along the engine cover and usually do for regular side surfing. With 3 of the 400s and a wedge you have a good starting point. If you havent purchased sacks yet I might opt for one 750 and two 400s. You can always under fill the 750.

More the better you may need more up front keep in mind weight in the front will lengthen the wake keep in mind prop too what do you have now

I never changed out the prop, so it must be factory.

Wayne, thats my main concern is damaging the housing.

So maybe 400 side, 750 rear, 400 mid, and a couple hundred up front?

I'm not sure what your rear compartment has for dimensions but in my LSV the 750 worked just fine and didn't bow the engine divider wall at all (did not need reinforcement).

Everyone on the forum agrees if you go 1100 to reinforce the engine wall (they made my wall bow). There is a small amount of debate over whether you should reinforce for a 750 but i'd estimate 80% are in favor of not needing to reinforce for a 750.

If you want my advice, if you're looking at surfing, go big in the rear locker, as big as you possibly can. I started with 750's and the next season it was 1100's so I had to pay twice for bags. Reinforcing the engine wall sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't that bad if you have tools.

Here's the link if you want to peruse:

http://www.themalibu...cement__st__120

Edited by wakeboarder3780

I have a 96 Sunsetter LX. For surfing, the wedge is down, we run 700lbs in the rear corner, 750lbs on the side, and 400lbs (90% full) in the ski locker. This set up allows my wife and I to surf easily with no additional people on the boat.

The surf wake is what I would class as standard, which I determine to be: The top of the wave is level with the waist of a man of 6' when standing in the surfing position; big enough pocket for inexperienced riders to comfortable ride, long enough wave for experienced riders to enjoy.

We experimented with different weight configurations and found this to be the most efficient for less than 2 people on the boat while surfing. With additional people on the boat, you could use less ballast and achieve the same result.

I just completed an auto ballast system for the center ski locker, let me know if you want to see photos of that.

I have a 96 Sunsetter LX. For surfing, the wedge is down, we run 700lbs in the rear corner, 750lbs on the side, and 400lbs (90% full) in the ski locker. This set up allows my wife and I to surf easily with no additional people on the boat.

The surf wake is what I would class as standard, which I determine to be: The top of the wave is level with the waist of a man of 6' when standing in the surfing position; big enough pocket for inexperienced riders to comfortable ride, long enough wave for experienced riders to enjoy.

We experimented with different weight configurations and found this to be the most efficient for less than 2 people on the boat while surfing. With additional people on the boat, you could use less ballast and achieve the same result.

New2texas, I just purchased a 2001 Sunsetter DD and I'm really curious about your ski locker set up as well as any other advice on the surf setup. I haven't even gotten her on the water yet other than the test drive...but my thoughts were to put two 750lb pro x series sacs, one in the back left of the boat and one next to the dog house. Was curious about size/type that you use in the ski locker and if you've tried putting weight on the front seats with any luck. We also have a manual wedge. Thanks in advance

I just completed an auto ballast system for the center ski locker, let me know if you want to see photos of that.

Ok, got another idea. Thinking of removing the back seat cushions and then putting a piece of plywood on top of the framing for the rear seat used for the sunsetter lxi. Then put a 750 pound bag on the plywood.

You think that's too much weight on top of the rear seat framing? I think it would be fine.

I would have to assume there is stress on the dog box hinges, I never open the engine cover once the bag is inflated. To be fair, my hinges were damaged prior to me getting the boat, apparently a drunken friend of the previous owner fell against it when it was open and ripped them off one side. In any case the best thing you can do is find what works for you; I often surf with just my wife and I on the boat, so we need the extra weight. If you intend on always having voice activated ballast (VAB) you wont need as much static ballast. Personally, start small and build up, you can have just as much fun on a small 'peaky' wave as you can on a monster wall.