Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need this part from flame arrestor?

Took this off my filter today while cleaning, it was not hooked up to anything and made it difficult to put the flame arrestor back on. Do I need it and whats it on there for?

Thanks!

airfilterpart.jpg

hi

i believe its for a engine crankcase vent, so u don't get engine blowby in your motor box. if there wasn't a hose hooked up then u need to find where it is going.

i have been thinking about putting an oil catch can on my boat to stop this dirtying my flame arrestor.

That absolutely should be attached somehow / somewhere to your intake system. Possibly right next to your pink air filter.

Dealers, can you chime in?

It goes under the clamp to the air filter and that is how it is held in place. The small part goes under the clamp and the hose goes on the barbed nipple. It just vents under the air filter and vents the crank case.

It is for the crankcase ventilation hose. There should be a similar sized hole on one of the valve covers. The hose has the PCV (pollution control valve) inline the hose. The PCV acts as the connector to the valve cover......Keep looking for a 12-18" long hose.

The engine will run just fine without it, there will just be some oil vapor / smoke discharging into the engine compartment.

Ok, well here it is.... the missing hose, scary things is I dont think I have ever had one on the engin since I took delivery. I checked all around the engine compartment and did not find anything laying in the bilge area or around the motor. Hopefully I did not do any damage to the motor, it always has seemed to run fine. Now, can I purchase a hose and PCV valve at Autozone or a local auto parts store? And does anyone know the size of PCV valve and hose dimensions? I am going to give my dealer a call tomorrow, but if I can take care of it myself I might just go that route. Standard PCV valve for a small block chevy with the standard hose that attaches to PCV?

missingline.jpg

Edited by Fman

Travis, if you haven't already got it figured out I will go out tonight and trace mine down for you and give you some specs on the line/PVC. IME all of the PCVs that I have dealt with were nothing more than no-tech plastic bodies with metal balls that were displaced by the pressure of the crankcase fumes allowing the intake to suck the fumes into it (think green) :) . Repalcing the hose and the PCV should be a simple, cheap and hopefully do right by the customer dealer fix. Bill

On the marine application there are no internals where the "PVC" plugs in to the valve cover, it is simply open to allow the vapors to escape and get sucked in to the flame arrestor. You can probably run a standard PVC valve or simply gut one or find the actual plastic part to replace. There is normally one on each side valve cover.

You will need the PCV to act as the connector/interface to the hole in the valve cover. Just buy 2-3 ft of matching hose (1/2" ??) and run it to the flame arrester fitting.

No real worries running without it, but it would be best to route the hose as designed. No real gain or loss, just cleaner.

I miss my Teak swimstep - it looked just as nice as that garage floor.......