Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil in the Air Intake

I have a 2002 wakesetter that is blowing oil into the intake through the spark arrestor. I was cruising at about 35mph when the engine suddenly started loosing oil pressure and sounded like it was loosing compression also. I shut it off and checked it out which is when I saw oil in the air intake. Started back up, the oil press was normal and it ran okay during the very short trip back to the dock. Is this a bad pcv valve or much worse? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not even gonna comment b/c you won't like what I say.

Your funny Pete!

To the OP, did you recently put oil in the motor? If so, how much?

I would suspect the first thing to check is the dipstick, is your oil at the proper level?

When was the last time you changed your oil?

Who did it?

More details are needed to provide some insight: did you change/add oil prior to this event, are you just starting the season, what service was done to the boat just before this run in the water? When you noticed low oil pressure, what did the other gauges indicate, water temp in particular? Have you checked the oil level?

I did change the oil the day before, which is the first day I had it out this year. I changed it at my house and then trailered it to a place where I keep the boat for the summer. I put about 4.5 qts. in it when I changed the oil and then checked the oil again just before I put it in the water and the level was normal. I’ve never been able to get anymore than about 4.5 qts in it, and just to be sure its okay I’ll check 1 or 2 times more to ensure it is settled and the level is normal before I start it. It ran fine that first day and I ran it for a couple of hours straight. The trouble really started at the end of the first day when the boat started smoking a little out of what I thought was the exhaust as we started idiling into the dock. I didn’t really think it was a problem but just to be sure I ran it again the next day to see if there was something wrong. I checked the oil before and it was a little low so I added some back in the normal range. I was watching the gauges as I ran it and like I said in the first post, the oil gauge was the one that was abnormal and it sounded rough when it was running. When the bottomed dropped out on the oil press is when I stopped and checked and found the oil in the intake. When you guys talk about oil level I'm assuming your talking about too much oil? I never thought about the problem being too much oil because I had to add oil to it on the second day, which was approximately .5 qt low. Also, after the alarm and the inspection I started it back and it was running fine but I didn't get the feeling it was going to stay that way. It stayed normal during the 5 minutes it took to get back to the dock. I checked one spark plug to see if it was oily, metal shavings, etc. There wasn't any on that one plug, but I haven't checked the rest. I didn't check the oil level again after I put it up, so I'm not sure where the level is at now. Thanks for the replies, at least some of them.

Edited by bignutpro

I winterized it. Other than a little cold snap we had in TN for one weekend in January, it was extremely mild. Plus, I had it in the garage all winter. If there was damage from freezing, could the oil get into the intake? The oil is oil colored and not milky. I'm guessing from all these post everyone seems to think this is a serious and expensive problem?

I was hoping it was something like that because it is so much easier and cheaper to fix. That was the orginal intent of my post was to see if anyone knew or has had a similar situation that was caused by one of these valves or sensors putting oil in the intake. If the compression checks out okay, is it possible it is something like a PCV? Would a bad PCV make it run rough and sound like its loosing compression? If the compression is bad, will it run fine one minute and then run bad the next? Guess I just need to check the compression first and post back. Thanks.

Edited by bignutpro
martinarcher

I was hoping it was something like that because it is so much easier and cheaper to fix. That was the orginal intent of my post was to see if anyone knew or has had a similar situation that was caused by one of these valves or sensors putting oil in the intake. If the compression checks out okay, is it possible it is something like a PCV? Would a bad PCV make it run rough and sound like its loosing compression? If the compression is bad, will it run fine one minute and then run bad the next? Guess I just need to check the compression first and post back. Thanks.

That's a good approach. Check the compression in all 8 cylinders and let us know how they look. A leak down test wouldn't be a bad idea either.