Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flying Towables - Anyone have them?

Gordo

I have been seeing a lot of ads for flying towables/tubes. Does anyone have one?? Do they work?? Any recomendations? They look like they would really be a blast Biggrin.gif and I am considering buying one.

If you're talking about this I don't know if it's available yet but, it looks super cool. We had a big discussion about this thing awhile ago and found out the kite was going into like a 20 MPH headwind and the people riding it were very light weight.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Yeah the dude riding that in the video is my neighbor. He is very light and an extremely good wakeboarder. He claims he got worked HARD by the tube. I think they were going close to 30 to get his flight times. Be prepared for some bad falls.

Yea, that's what Im talking about!!!!!! Crazy.gif Looks great, but you are right aabout the falls - 30mph from 8-10 feet up have gotta hurt!! :( The promos I have been reading talk about a 20mph flight speed....guess that's with a 100 pounder??? Let's see, I weigh about 230#, my VLX has a top end of around 47mph....wonder if I can get off the ground....errr....water?????? Yahoo.gif

I saw in this months WB magazine a picture of Parks or Shane (I don't remember which one) riding a wing shaped tube getting some big air. It looks pretty cool. I looked at the show but didn't see anything like it.

Like aneal000 said I would be prepared for some bad falls. I saw one of my sons a few years ago (he only weighed about 90lbs at the time) fly a three man tube that he was riding by himself fall from about 6-7 feet up in the air. Landed right on the side of his ribs. It's been the only time I was scared when I went back to pick him up. He was shook up pretty bad.

I saw one of these at Trinity last summer. I wouldn't exactly say it was flying, more like skimming from white cap to white cap ( lake was blown out ). The one thing that did catch my eye was the size of the thing...it is HUGE!

I saw in this months WB magazine a picture of Parks or Shane (I don't remember which one) riding a wing shaped tube getting some big air. It looks pretty cool. I looked at the show but didn't see anything like it.

Like aneal000 said I would be prepared for some bad falls. I saw one of my sons a few years ago (he only weighed about 90lbs at the time) fly a three man tube that he was riding by himself fall from about 6-7 feet up in the air. Landed right on the side of his ribs. It's been the only time I was scared when I went back to pick him up. He was shook up pretty bad.

that would be parks.

It looks like kinda fun, for those blown out days on the lake, but if i am having to go 30mph to get going... bad times are heading my way...

A buddy of mine brought out the Manta or Manta Ray, whatever it's called, last summer. After the 3 hours (just kidding) it took to inflate the monster we took the kids out for a run. Pretty disappointing. Only the lightest could really fly and it was iffy at best. We had very little wind, and didn't want a hospital run, so we were no where close to 30MPH, but all in all I'd have to say it flopped. Everyone had more fun wakeboarding and surfing. Looks great on the box though ... :unsure:

Not worth the money! I went on the manta-ray or whatever last summer. They were pulling me at about 30 and i could get out of the water for just a few seconds. When we increased the speed to about 35 a friends got some air for about 20 seconds at 2-3feet.

And it hurts to fall, 30 mph is really fast when you are iup n the air

Chad

There are some wego kite tubes available on ebay. 94 available, free shipping, $499 buy it now or submit best offer. And if you look at the Q&A at the bottom, looks like they are willing to accept $420.

Ebay link

A buddy of mine wants to buy one. I'll be willing to try it.

So, it sounds like, for my svelt Biggrin.gif 230+# super sized persona, that "flying" would be more imagination than reality Cry.gif Man, and it looks like fun too...... Crazy.gif

So, it sounds like, for my svelt Biggrin.gif 230+# super sized persona, that "flying" would be more imagination than reality Cry.gif Man, and it looks like fun too...... Crazy.gif

I'm with you on that.

Solution for us heavier gentlemen. Fill the Wego with helium. The only problem with that is you've always gotta keep it attached to something or $500 just goes floating off into space (or Michigan in my case) :)

If you want to make your "MANTA RAY " fly double the length of the rope (150 ft) non stretch is better , guaranteed to fly 30ft in the air but HANG ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps make sure your towing into the wind

So the extra length helps that much? Interesting observation. What was the maximun weight that the Manta was able to lift?? 30' is a LOOOONG way to fall Crazy.gif But i am game Biggrin.gif Now...what did I do with that helmet we bought last year??? Surprised.gifSurprised.gif

So the extra length helps that much? Interesting observation. What was the maximun weight that the Manta was able to lift?? 30' is a LOOOONG way to fall Crazy.gif But i am game Biggrin.gif Now...what did I do with that helmet we bought last year??? Surprised.gifSurprised.gif Yeh we were having no luck trying to fly it until a salesman from a dealership told us the secret 1st time out my mate crash landed from a stupid height and severley bruised his shoulder ,since then if were flying high and feel a crash coming we let go and drop of the back Surprised.gifROFL.gif