Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 247LSV

nittwittboater

So I'm looking at purchasing one of these, and I wanna know if anyone has the one with the 555hp engine? Do you like having that much power and do you have anything you would like to add or if you wouldn't recommend it? Just of you could let me in on how you like it and how everything runs?

Have an 09 247 with the 383 Hammerhead. Chose the engine because was told that the catalytic converter got rid of 95% of the harmful CO that could cause problems for surfing. The only time engine is insufficient is if I load it with maximum ballast bags - both rear compartments and bag up front, and try to get it up to wakeboard speeds. It will do it, but only barely, and you have to get passengers to the front to get on plane initially. Top speed without ballast is right around 41 on smooth water. Otherwise, I don't have any regrets about not going for a bigger engine. If you are looking for more top end speed, bigger engine would be nice.

FYI I do not have the 555, I have the 410HP 6.0L....and love the engine, plenty of power. I go heavy when I surf, 4000lbs+ and the engine does great. if I were to buy again, I would get the 6.0 again without hesitation. if you want the biggest, baddest wakeboat on any lake anywhere, get the 555. if you plan on running 4000lbs or more ballast for a waist high double up sized wake at all times get the 555. If you must go 50mph + in a wakeboat get the 555.

here are a couple pics of 8 men in the boat, full ballast and wedge, and 2 pro level riders in tow. Massive Wake. 6.0 tears it up. not trying to talk you out of the 555, but based on what 99% of folks will EVER use a wakeboat for, the 555 doesnt justify the additional $15k and gas usage.

6667934909_3e1d48dea3_b.jpg

6667832119_b6f3383887_b.jpg

• Like 1

FYI I do not have the 555, I have the 410HP 6.0L....and love the engine, plenty of power. I go heavy when I surf, 4000lbs+ and the engine does great. if I were to buy again, I would get the 6.0 again without hesitation. if you want the biggest, baddest wakeboat on any lake anywhere, get the 555. if you plan on running 4000lbs or more ballast for a waist high double up sized wake at all times get the 555. If you must go 50mph + in a wakeboat get the 555.

here are a couple pics of 8 men in the boat, full ballast and wedge, and 2 pro level riders in tow. Massive Wake. 6.0 tears it up. not trying to talk you out of the 555, but based on what 99% of folks will EVER use a wakeboat for, the 555 doesnt justify the additional $15k and gas usage.

Thanks for the info, I just checking into them! I would love it just because of that power and wake, and that vry true extra money and extra gas, now it comes down to debating time, nice picture by the way.

I have a 247 with the 555. Never driven another v drive much less one with a different engine so I don't have anything to compare it to. It's a lot of extra coin, but if you can afford it, I would go for it. It's a sweet power plant with killer sounds and amazing acceleration and grunt. There's also clearly a "bling" factor to it if that does anything for you. I had one over heat warning on it last year when idling along but it's never repeated so I suspect it was an anomoly or something like a plastic bag got stuck on the intake.

It's a well proven power plant used in a variety of GM platforms (cadillac CTSV, Corvette ZR1, Camaro ZL1 etc.) and part of the reason they used the lower displacement supercharged motor was fuel economy relative to larger displacement motors. I won't say it sips gas but if you're driving it normally, I don't think it's as bad as peole think though I've never measured it precisely. Top end is right around 50 mph but that's not the good part, it's the hole shot and mid range acceleration.

If you have the coin, go for it. Probably not the most practical upgrade but you only go around once.......

I have the 555 in a 23 LSV. Best powerplant with no noticeable difference in fuel consumption. No hesitation and definitely worth the upgrade

It's a well proven power plant used in a variety of GM platforms (cadillac CTSV, Corvette ZR1, Camaro ZL1 etc.)

ZR1 uses the LS9, not the LSA. Though they are similar motors, there are a number of significant differences that are the reason it is considered a different motor.

And I say option in the LSA. You will never complain about having too much power.

Thanks for the info, I just checking into them! I would love it just because of that power and wake, and that vry true extra money and extra gas, now it comes down to debating time, nice picture by the way.

Just FYI, you are looking at an 85gal fuel tank in these. At $4 a gallon for midgrade for the 6.0, it can become significant if you run hard.

On average during summer months, 1 tank lasts me 2-3 weeks, and thats 5-6 1hr sessons, and all the assorted driving out and back from party cove etc etc.

My heaviest fuel usage is wakesurfing 3000lbs or more, average for heavy wakesurfing for me is about 1/4 tank in 1.5 to 2hrs.

I have never been able to burn a full tank in one day, the most damage I have ever done is burn 2/3 o 3/4.

for mixed usage, 2 full non stop days of Wake the World, rip assing across the lake, some wakeboaridng, tubing, cruising for 6-8hrs 2 days in a row, I only burned 1/2 tank.

Nice pics Ryan!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZR1 uses the LS9, not the LSA. Though they are similar motors, there are a number of significant differences that are the reason it is considered a different motor.

You are right, there are some differences, including slightly smaller supercharger (more efficient, slightly lower boost), different intercooler configuration (also said to be more efficient than the LS9), cast vs. forged pistons (allowable by lower boost) and some other dialed back internals given lower power output, but by and large the same architecture.