Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What anchor should I buy?

wakecat

My boat '05 VLX did not come with an anchor. I was wondering what weight and style I should get. I'd like it to be as small as possible and also rubber coated. What is the adequate weight for an anchor for my boat?

Thanks

Johnny

My boat '05 VLX did not come with an anchor. I was wondering what weight and style I should get. I'd like it to be as small as possible and also rubber coated. What is the adequate weight for an anchor for my boat?

Thanks

Johnny

I'll let someone w/ a VLX comment on anchor size, but make sure you get an Anchor Buddy line....

i used to fish in rough water and ended up buying a lot of different anchors. The best anchor i have ever used is a galvanized danforth, they do not have to be that big to be effective.

that said i use a 15# coated navy anchor for the bu with good success. it is never that rough when anchoring the bu.

We anchor in shallow (30' or less) and use a 20lbs river anchor. It digs into sandy or mud bottoms and holds really well. If you are in deep water and rocky bottom this might not be the best anchor but it works great for us.

I have the 15-lb (or 20, can't remember, it's black) vinyl coated "Navy Anchor" from Academy. It works 95% of the time, but won't hold in big wind like a box anchor. It's great for most days on the lake though.

Edited by Boomer

Box anchors are the only ones I will use. Besides that they work great at the river, which is the only place I anchor up, I always hated the chain because of numerous reason which I don't need with the box anchor/anchor buddy line set up.

When you guys talk about Danforth anchors, is this considered a danforth style?

21039L.jpg

I hate anchors like that. Primarily because they must dig in to hold, and also because they bring up mud, sticks, crap. In addition they are hard to store. For day to day use I like anchor's that hold with weight. Harder to pull up, but use less room in boat, don't bring up mud, etc.

Just my take, but I'd like to try one of those box anchors everyone raves about.

I have a Danforth (free) that is made out of aluminum. My lake is shallow consisting of mainly sand / weeds and it holds like a champ. My only comment is no matter what type you get, you have to pay an appropriate amount of anchor line for the anchor to set. Take into account what type of sea bottom you be setting anchor, rocks, or sand would influence my decision as well as depth, length and weight of the vessel.

My Danforth fits nicely under one of the bow cushions, angle in and it lays flat. Right now I have 200' of anchor line but that is overkill, I will probably take off 50 - 75'.

We normally only anchor for lunch and a quick swim. I went with a Chene anchor. It is small enough to fit under the RLXi small bow cushion and still have enough room for anchor line.

If we anchored in rougher waters and for longer periods, I would consider the box anchor.

so is the anchor above a danforth?

Yes it is.

I use a small (8lb?) Danforth most times and it holds well enough to enjoy lunch or a couple beverages. For overnight anchoring, I use a box anchor.

For overnite, I have a bucket full of concrete, I'm gonna use the Danforth for a lunch and swim anchor.

Daniel

Does the concrete (that seems like a pain to haul around) really hold bette than an appropiate sized danforth anchor? They hold pretty dang good on most surfaces, and rely on hanging onto stuff, vs just weight (like a bucket of rocks, or a navy anchor)

For most applications, I don't think you can beat the basic Danforth - though that box anchor is pretty cool (expensive, but people seem to rave about it)

I've got two danforth anchors, and they work great

For overnite, I have a bucket full of concrete, I'm gonna use the Danforth for a lunch and swim anchor.

Daniel

I've got a good concrete anchor story. A number of years ago we were returning houseboats at the end of our church's Houseboat Camp at Shasta. The task of taking one of the Patio boats back to Holiday Harbor fell to my wife. She was caravaning with a few other boats being taken back to Holiday Harbor and she was just told to hop on board, give it throttle and stay with the pack. She did just that, but found that even with a wide open throttle she was lagging way behind the rest of the group and was having trouble with the steering. Anyway, she eventually made it to Holiday Harbor starting out from around the dam, but was way behind the rest. After she got there it was discovered that there were some concrete blocks trailing her that had been tied on as anchors during the camp. Those patio boats are not real fast and maneuverable anyway, but concrete anchors don't improve it any.

Edited by obski

I learned a lot about anchors and anchoring over the last year with Malibu Dreamin'. In your case the best anchor will depend on quite a few things such as river or lake; type of bottom - rock, mud, sand; average depth of water; how much space your willing to give up in the boat; how much weight your willing to lift off the bottom; how you plan on using the anchor - lunch hook, overnight mooring, possible windy/stormy times?

These all should play into the decision, and their is more info on the net than one could believe if you google it. I ended up going with a Fortress FX37 and I'll tell you the thing is a piece of art work - it was hard to throw it in the lake the first time! :) Incredible holding power though. Lots of good information on their site as well. Fortress Anchors

True story - new boat (to us) and we get stuck out on the lake as a storm blows in. I figure this probably isin't smart but it will be a good experience as long as we live through. Had a danforth style (not the Fortress) hooked well up front, set it in place by driving backwards. Had a rear hook out to help - they we're calling for 70mph winds. We were in the back of a cove and standing on the deck when we "saw" the wind coming down the cove. It completely hit us broadside (remember I'm in the 40'+ Silverton) and felt like it was tipping us over, then push us about 100 yards toward shore - with the anchor set! The anchor finally dug deep enough to hold, but it was a scarry ride. We stayed out all night in that spot and the next day when we went to leave and pulled up the anchor the 10' of chain was completely covered in mud - the anchor had to be at least 10'+ down into the mud! It was crazy! Crazy.gif

Hey Thumbs, you're killing me with that avatar. Guns.gif

Tease2.gif j/k sorta

Saw that pic of Mrs. Bill the morning after the State of the Union Address and could not pass it up. Crazy.gif