Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eye Candy in a Malibu DVD - read post below before voting

chathamsolutions

Eye Candy in a Malibu DVD - read post below before voting  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Is the investment worth it to Malibu Corp. to put 'Eye Candy' on their DVD's

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would Malibu be better off investing their marketing dollars elsewhere?

• Yes
    • No

Did Mastercraft even hand out a DVD?

Yes.

AND they spend millions more in advertising/marketing. Or so it seems. The whole point here, is Malibu has a great tool already, I don't disagree. But they could make it better. I think producing a full fledged video every year - or at least a 10-15 minute one, would be something that would draw people to the brand, the boats and eventually to the dealers with cash.

MC is spending BIG bucks to have their boats at MX shows and all other kinds of sporting events - trying to get the crossover crowd. If Bu just made this DVD something that people could watch - other then a brochure on the screen - it would be more appealing.

They've got something, but are only using it for 1/2 of it's potential. I think they're doing the same thing with their web site - as others have mentioned. And I think they're doing the same thing with their online store. So much more could be done there. If you're going to do it, do it first class or don't do it at all.

I think that the 06 video it great. I got so pumped up that when it was done and I looked out at all the snow in my back yard I actually got mad.

I would way, way rather be the customer or a company with an A- in advertising and an A+ in build, layout, and engineering advancements, then the cusomer of a company with an A+ sales pitch and a C+ product.(I won't mention any product names at this time)

Joe

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chathamsolutions

• WakeGirl

• Greg_S

• stewart

MC doesn't have an inferior product. They do have an aggressive marketing strategy. I don't think Bu has to or needs to go that far, their product speaks for itself. My argument is to simply use the tool they have and make it better.

If you can't see that by now, then whatever.

The poll is still holding at the same percentages - so there's obviously many out there that agree.

MC doesn't have an inferior product. They do have an aggressive marketing strategy. I don't think Bu has to or needs to go that far, their product speaks for itself. My argument is to simply use the tool they have and make it better.

The poll is still holding at the same percentages - so there's obviously many out there that agree.

Andy, I am quite sure that you are being constructive, I also believe that the people at Malibu are doing the best job that they can, and will take notice of your poll. As for "what ever" you may or may not value my opinion. (it's totally up to you) :)

Joe

Andy, I am quite sure that you are being constructive, I also believe that the people at Malibu are doing the best job that they can, and will take notice of your poll. As for "what ever" you may or may not value my opinion. (it's totally up to you) :)

Joe

That makes me laugh a little bit. I never thought much about it when I said 'whatever' to somebody, but one day my son said it to me and my ears nearly blew out of my head. I don't use it unless I really mean it now. It only has one true meaning.

After thinking about this some & coming back to it, I don't think that Andy meant it that way. I just think that he feels pretty strongly/passionately about this & just wants us to understand where he's coming from. I do understand the emotional piece that Eye Candy brings to the table, I just am unwilling to make a judgement or a recommendation to Malibu sitting where I am when there are soooooo many aspects about this that I'm not privy to. I will say this, Malibu is listening. :)

Joe, obviously I care about your opinion. Otherwise you'd squish me :)

I've just tried to state my position 5 times, and obviously I'm not doing a very good job because it seems some are still missing that I think they have something, I just think it could be better.

Oh ya, 'whatever'

After thinking about this some & coming back to it, I don't think that Andy meant it that way. I just think that he feels pretty strongly/passionately about this & just wants us to understand where he's coming from. I do understand the emotional piece that Eye Candy brings to the table, I just am unwilling to make a judgement or a recommendation to Malibu sitting where I am when there are soooooo many aspects about this that I'm not privy to. I will say this, Malibu is listening. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure how he meant it and didn't mean to imply that he was dropping a F bomb, just made me chuckle a little to remember my reaction when my 10 year old said it.

Did Mastercraft even hand out a DVD?

Yes.

AND they spend millions more in advertising/marketing. Or so it seems. The whole point here, is Malibu has a great tool already, I don't disagree. But they could make it better. I think producing a full fledged video every year - or at least a 10-15 minute one, would be something that would draw people to the brand, the boats and eventually to the dealers with cash.

MC is spending BIG bucks to have their boats at MX shows and all other kinds of sporting events - trying to get the crossover crowd. If Bu just made this DVD something that people could watch - other then a brochure on the screen - it would be more appealing.

They've got something, but are only using it for 1/2 of it's potential. I think they're doing the same thing with their web site - as others have mentioned. And I think they're doing the same thing with their online store. So much more could be done there. If you're going to do it, do it first class or don't do it at all.

BU has out sold MC for the past few years. If they can do that, without spending the $$ MC is, more power to them. BU is an employee owned company, they all want to exceed.

Have you been to the factory in Merced in the last few months? They have broke ground on a huge building. All in an effort to increase capacity.

Speaking of capacity, if your running @ 98%+, why would you drive sales anymore at that time? Everyone has an expectation to get there new boat in 4+ weeks. How would you feel if the lead time went to 10+ weeks? Or, how would you feel if BU cut out some of there quality in order to sell more units? I'm in the manufacturing game as well, and we actually turn away business because of capacity. For the above stated reasons.

As far as the poll goes, everyone wants more in the video. But does the extra expense to put more eye candy in make sense to BU, probably not at this point. I watched the 06 DVD and thought it was great. Could it have been better, sure. Who wouldn't want a FREE DVD showing all kinds of big air and tricks.

I am at 3 boats with BU and counting. I've only seen the 03 DVD and now the 06 DVD (cuz you started this thread). I got the 03 DVD after I bought my 03 so the DVD had no influence on that purchase. Did the 06 DVD make me want a new boat? YES. I guess the DVD did its part. :)

I guess I'm the odd man out on this one, but I believe it is Lame to think you bought your Bu "Because" there was eye candy in a DVD. CC makes and sells quite a few boats and I believe they have virtually no eye candy. I've owned both and currently own a Bu for many reasons, non of which are eye candy.

I didn't buy because of the eye candy, but when I bought my first Malibu, I was heavily leaning towards CC. I took home a 2000 version DVD from the boat show and I believe it helped to turn the decision to Malibu. Not due to the eye candy section, but, because I saw the people who were building my boat and felt like it was a personal experience, not just a big corp. CC just seemed too impersonal. Just MHO.

I guess I'm the odd man out on this one, but I believe it is Lame to think you bought your Bu "Because" there was eye candy in a DVD. CC makes and sells quite a few boats and I believe they have virtually no eye candy. I've owned both and currently own a Bu for many reasons, non of which are eye candy.

I didn't buy because of the eye candy, but when I bought my first Malibu, I was heavily leaning towards CC. I took home a 2000 version DVD from the boat show and I believe it helped to turn the decision to Malibu. Not due to the eye candy section, but, because I saw the people who were building my boat and felt like it was a personal experience, not just a big corp. CC just seemed too impersonal. Just MHO.

Last night we watched the only 2 DVDs that we hadn't seen. Now that I have seen 01-06 I feel that there are strong pts in all of them. The early one get you a lot of the people behind the boats, which I think is the heart and soul of the company and their product. They were not as emotionally powerful, but to me would most likely influence my decision the most out of the DVDs. 03-05 were the most fun to watch as far as the coolness factor. I would watch these anytime just to get pumped up and ready to hit the water. The 06 is the most informative about the many, many models that we now get to choose from. In my opinion it gives the buyer to most usable info of the batch as far as... I already know that I NEED a Malibu, but which one is right for me. In the end I feel that all of the DVDs offer something to someone, it comes down to what exactly the marketing people at Malibu are trying to achieve with the money spent on these DVDs.

Andy, don't sweat my reactions. It takes a lot to get me too worked up. I just see this issue from a slightly different view point. Maybe we could send our resumes to Malibu to offer our marketing skills. Biggrin.gif

Joe

I do not have the '03 in my collection from 2000-2006. If anyone has an extra '03 I'd sure like to take it off thier hands. Were any made prior to 2000?

I do not have the '03 in my collection from 2000-2006. If anyone has an extra '03 I'd sure like to take it off thier hands. Were any made prior to 2000?

Send me your info and I'll send you a copy of 03.

I sent Amy an email last week, this is her response :

Actually, we didn't cut the "Eye Candy" section. We simply renamed it "Team Malibu". We even added a section this year "The Making".

I will check out the post on the Malibu Crew. We have a lot of great ambassadors that frequent the site. I am sure someone will chime in with a voice of reason, if not I will e-mail the person who made the post .

Thanks,

Amy L. Mauzy

Multimedia Marketing Maniac

Malibu Boats, Inc.

[email protected]

209-383-7469 ext. 356

Good heavens, now even Malibu thinks I'm unreasonable :)

Well, it sounds like their listening.

Glad we're behind a company that listens to their constituents.

Brian from Atlanta Inboard gave me the DVD at the 2003 Boat Show and I never gave any other product another look. Not just because of the DVD but it did get me on track to start my research.

The Eye Candy on that one was excellent. Lots of good riding.

Not to mention Dallas Friday.

Good heavens, now even Malibu thinks I'm unreasonable :)

Well, it sounds like their listening.

Glad we're behind a company that listens to their constituents.

If they were listening, I would have already been called about putting that deisel engine (for test purposes, of course) in my SLxi. Whistling.gif

They are listening. Amy is working on a questionaire for all of you to answer specifics about the dvd both from the owner's perspective & potential buyer's. I'm not exactly sure when it will be ready, but expect to see something on that soon.

As for the diesel, maybe your approach is wrong or lacking enough sources. :) Amy had this come at her from at least 3 or 4 different sources.

Send me your info and I'll send you a copy of 03.

See? Andy paid it forward. :)

Can someone upload the DVD or the link to this site? I haven't seen the 06, but I would like to.

Send me your address and I'll send it to you tomorrow when I'm sending out brazosvet's 03.

Can someone upload the DVD or the link to this site? I haven't seen the 06, but I would like to.

Send me your address and I'll send it to you tomorrow when I'm sending out brazosvet's 03.

Greg thanks for the offer, but I will just check it out on their site. Thanks again!

Jetskipro,

Here is a link to the 2006 DVD. I think they are in mpg format

2006 DVD

Thanks for the link!