Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eye Candy in a Malibu DVD - read post below before voting

chathamsolutions

Eye Candy in a Malibu DVD - read post below before voting  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Is the investment worth it to Malibu Corp. to put 'Eye Candy' on their DVD's

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would Malibu be better off investing their marketing dollars elsewhere?

• Yes
    • No

Letter to Malibu Corporate:

Dear Marketing Queen:

We want to take this opportunity and let you know our view regarding your DVD.

The DVD's of the past have been very well put together. Content, styling, graphics, details, music, video of boats, have all been first rate. But this year you've decided not to put the 'eye candy' section into the DVD. We can only assume you pulled this due to monetary constraints. We would like to express why we think it is a good investment for Malibu to include it in their DVD's of the future.

When a potential buyer is considering a boat purchase they look at many factors. Craftsmanship, value, performance, style are all part of that decision. But there is something to be said about the emotional impact of buying a boat. If there is a way to tap into a prospective buyers emotions and get them to think or dream about themselves riding behind the boat, sitting behind the wheel, enjoying the time on the boat - that would be something you should spend a lot of money on. We believe the eye candy section of your DVD's of the past accomplished this.

One of the reasons people watch movies is to get away. They put themselves in the place of the actors. When watching a Malibu DVD of the pros, listening to good music, seeing people having a good time - it reinforces in ones mind the benefits of owning a Malibu boat. 'I should own a Malibu boat because I want to pull an air like Darin Shapiro.' It is a subtle message that you can express in people's minds. And as we watched the eye candy of the DVD's of the past, this image was reinforced. And we were able to watch it again and again and again. Continually reinforcing the benefits of the Malibu boat experience, not only for ourselves, but for all those we talked into watching it with us. That group included our family, friends and anyone we could talk into watching it with us. Truly a great 'tell a friend' tool.

You already have the pro's on contract - that shouldn't cost you anything additional. You simply need to pay a crew to do the video and produce it. Not an inexpensive option, we're sure, but a good investment we believe. Mastercraft is out spending everyone in the industry on marketing 10 to 1, or so it appears. Something small like this is an easy hand out and a great tool for your sales force to use to put a positive spin on the Malibu experience. It literally allows you to put an image in the minds of your potential buyers of what it is like to own a Malibu.

The eye candy section is a good way for Malibu to help people take a test drive without actually getting wet. And in the off season - boat show season - this may be the only way to accomplish that. Bring back the eye candy section and it will pay dividends for you in sales.

Good luck, long live Bob and Malibu quality!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chathamsolutions

• WakeGirl

• Greg_S

• stewart

When a potential buyer is considering a boat purchase they look at many factors. Craftsmanship, value, performance, style are all part of that decision. But there is something to be said about the emotional impact of buying a boat. If there is a way to tap into a prospective buyers emotions and get them to think or dream about themselves riding behind the boat, sitting behind the wheel, enjoying the time on the boat - that would be something you should spend a lot of money on.

I’m just curious; do you work in marketing or an auto dealership? Because I think that you hit the nail on the head with this one. That is what every auto deal in the country tries to create. People buy on emotion and negotiate on logic.

Just my take. Nice letter.

The DVD was kinda lame this year, but it wasn't just the Eye Candy section. They had a Malibu Team section that was essentially an eye candy section.

The music was terrible, the camera work was lame, and worst of all, they re-used most of the footage from the 2005 DVD. No new footage of most of the riders, just the same shots as last year with worse music.

It's pretty cheap to make a DVD, actually. My guess is they spent under $500K on the project, but I could be wrong.

I couldn't agree more. I found the 2006 DVD to be missing something compared to the prior years'. The eye candy section definitely gets you pumped up for watersports, and Malibu in particular.

We want more eye candy.

But there is something to be said about the emotional impact of buying a boat.

At the most basic level people buy for two reason only: The product fufills a need or the product fufills an emotion.

How many of us need a new Malibu? Crazy.gif

edit: Well, I guess I do.... :)

Edited by aneal000

You have got to ask yourselves, how many of us bought our Malibu's based mostly on the DVD. I didn't even watch the 05 DVD until after I bought my boat. We buy our boats based on which watersport we have a passion for, fit and finish, features, options, performance and the quality of the dealership.

I think the DVD is nothing but entertainment for us to watch during the long winter months, which is probably the real reason that some of you are disappointed with the video's lack of "eye candy".

The eye candy is why we buy.

Once you see the eye candy and say I want to try that, then you need to figure out what type of boat you need to have.

Never forget the power of the kids saying "Dad, Mom I want to ski like that, board like that" etc. It has been known to crack open a few wallets.

The family fun factor is the reason many of us own our Malibu boat.

The eye candy is why we buy.

Once you see the eye candy and say I want to try that, then you need to figure out what type of boat you need to have.

Never forget the power of the kids saying "Dad, Mom I want to ski like that, board like that" etc. It has been known to crack open a few wallets.

The family fun factor is the reason many of us own our Malibu boat.

More than once I have found my kids showing their friends the eye candy.

just a thought, but maybe the reason for the recycled footage and the lack of eye candy could be attributed to the time of year they shot the footage.

No matter how warm everyone looks in this DVD i can assure you they're not. It's cold out there

When a potential buyer is considering a boat purchase they look at many factors. Craftsmanship, value, performance, style are all part of that decision. But there is something to be said about the emotional impact of buying a boat. If there is a way to tap into a prospective buyers emotions and get them to think or dream about themselves riding behind the boat, sitting behind the wheel, enjoying the time on the boat - that would be something you should spend a lot of money on.

I'm just curious; do you work in marketing or an auto dealership? Because I think that you hit the nail on the head with this one. That is what every auto deal in the country tries to create. People buy on emotion and negotiate on logic.

Just my take. Nice letter.

I'm a business owner, and marketing myself is what I do every day. Grew up in a family business. It's obvious really, we can all see the marketing that's working and what's not.

just a thought, but maybe the reason for the recycled footage and the lack of eye candy could be attributed to the time of year they shot the footage.

No matter how warm everyone looks in this DVD i can assure you they're not. It's cold out there

This is not an excuse IMO. Malibu has a great idea with the DVD, they hand them out like candy - vs. other manufacturers. I think this is a powerful tool. But I think they are missing the point in not developing it fully. When I got my first DVD my family and I watched it over and over and over, the eye candy part that is. I watched the actual boat detail footage (for the LSV) maybe 4-5 times.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, they already knew they were going to have to 'be ready' for the winter DVD. If they know it then the pros need to perform. That's what they get paid for. If a pro can't look like they're having a blast behind your boat, then they shouldn't be compensated.

- They have all year to prep for the DVD and compile the footage.

They could put me in the DVD, I'd have a smile on my face all year long. But I wouldn't be doing any inverts, so no one would want to watch me.

Tracie:

See who I addressed it to? :) I was hoping we'd have a stong postive response to this - then we could email her. If the response to the poll is strong enough I hoped it would have some weight when they're looking at their budget for next year.

22 yes

1 no

Alright, who's the wise guy/gal?

I learn more about the other boats in the line from the DVD, so I like the DVD itself. I never saw the Eye Candy section in 03/04 (Jack is getting me a copy!!) and I was disappointed this year that the DVD was basically the same as last year. My son thought it was the same as last year, but he's 10 and doesn't pay attention to new carpet and the power wedge.

It also think it would be nice to have less compartments to the DVD so it doesn't reset to the menu so often.

The hard back brochures they provide are top notch.

I guess I'm the odd man out on this one, but I believe it is Lame to think you bought your Bu "Because" there was eye candy in a DVD. CC makes and sells quite a few boats and I believe they have virtually no eye candy. I've owned both and currently own a Bu for many reasons, non of which are eye candy.

I guess I'm the odd man out on this one, but I believe it is Lame to think you bought your Bu "Because" there was eye candy in a DVD. CC makes and sells quite a few boats and I believe they have virtually no eye candy. I've owned both and currently own a Bu for many reasons, non of which are eye candy.

I agree.

EDIT: I haven't responded in the poll because I simply don't know how to answer because I don't know how much malibu spends on the production. I don't think it hurts, but certainly not going to drive me to make a boat decision.

Edited by Addictedto6

LOL, I knew exactly who you addressed that letter to Andy. Mark & I had a good talk about it & the word will get to her in a variety of ways.

FWIW, I didn't buy my boat because of the eye candy. But with that said, those sections on a couple of the dvds are so good that one of my projects is to rip those sections & splice together the really good stuff into one long eye candy piece that we can watch without having to pull out the different discs. They're so good that you can pull just that section out & show it to others & they'll enjoy it. Should Malibu put more effort into it? Not if they don't want to spend the money. But Andy's got a really good point that this kind of thing can only be a powerful tool for them when they have people like us introducing their boats for them to other potential buyers. Plus it's a nice perk for us. Biggrin.gif

22 yes

1 no

That was me. I don't think anyone buys a boat because of a DVD. They buy one for the reasons I listed above. I bet Bayliner, Sea Ray, etc. all have videos that show families enjoying their product. None of us bought Bayliners, did we? If you read the reasons that many have used for wanting eye candy in the video, it is for entertainment only and not to help them buy a boat. JMHO.

This thread is misleading............ the Malibu DVD has ALWAYS been missing the "real" eye candy. :)

Damn, you beat me too it ROFL.gif

See you on Sat dude - looking forward to hangin with my peeps and boats. Can't wait for that fiberglass smell!! And some overpriced brew

22 yes

1 no

That was me. I don't think anyone buys a boat because of a DVD. They buy one for the reasons I listed above. I bet Bayliner, Sea Ray, etc. all have videos that show families enjoying their product. None of us bought Bayliners, did we? If you read the reasons that many have used for wanting eye candy in the video, it is for entertainment only and not to help them buy a boat. JMHO.

I agree with you. Entertainment is the only reason. I don't think Bu sales would slip even 1 unit if they discontinued the DVD.

You don't buy a boat becuase of a DVD, you buy it becuase you WANT one. The DVD is a powerful tool for Malibu, becuase it allows people to take it to their home and re-live the boat show / dealership experience again, and again, and again. Without the eye candy section, frankly I think a brochure does exactly the same thing.

It's marketing, plain and simple. If it's not plain and simple to you, then OK. But the poll is speaking for itself.

I personally would rather have more and more Malibu's out there. The better Malibu does the better the products will be, quality, re-sale, service, etc.

... it allows people to take it to their home and re-live the boat show / dealership experience again, and again, and again.

You should see the copy of the catalog I brought home to read for a couple days while they got my boat ready. It looks as if it has been through the washing machine...and I still look at it from time to time...

I love the dvd, but we didnt buy the boat because of it. I do think they should keep the eye candy on the dvd, they should also find a better way to market them selves. The dvd you have to go home, then watch it, some people might forget about it in their bag of boat show goodies. If they kept the dvd it would be cool to see diffrent people in the company talk about the boat, some of the factory workes talk about the build quality and such. Have a few of the higher ups talk the boat up some more. Have some pro riders talk up the wake. The whole time showing the boat they are talking about, in the water, or on the trailer going around the boat and inside it. The could be showing this at the boat show so everyone gets to see it. But other than the dvd I dont have any marketing ideas.

I found the DVD most useful for explaining the differences between the boat models. I couldn't make heads or tails of the Malibu naming convention. With the video, they show you which boat is the big one, which one is the wakeboard one, and which one is for skiing. Very easy to understand when you watch the video on each model with the voice over. I suppose they could save even more money and just use names that make more sense, but that is too obvious.