Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet carpet in storage compartment

So I'm not sure where this is coming from. I did recall last year always having a pretty damp carpet area in the storage compartment specifically where the red box is showing near the battery box. Now I do not have the air intake hose as it was missing when I purchased the boat. I did not have water coming in through the vent so I know that is not the issue. I am also putting the hose in on a side note. So this season I had Cory make me an Evo cover and I love it. I am sure it does not allow water to come into the boat. So while its covered I am still getting this damp area indicated in the photo. I haven't had time to test it but is it possible the 2 thru hull hoses and/or fittings are leaking ? When it rains would water really enter through there and drip down to the floor ? The cover does not go below the rub rail so I know it doesn't cover the thru hull ports. I will also mention that my bilge has had water in it and I haven't sucked it out in a few weeks since I cleaned the boat. Don't know if water sitting in the bilge including the middle could have a factor. I don't have any dampness anywhere else. Any help would be great ! Put some photos to show what area I am talking about.

dsc04355js.th.jpg

dsc04343q.th.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Claudio

Do you notice the dampness after taking the boat out or is this area damp only after a rain when its stored on the trailer?

I mounted my battery boxes in the area shown in your photo only to (insert shame here) realize that the screw I put in to hold the battery box down punctured the bottom of the hull. Not a whole lot of water, but the carpet would be damp after a trip out in the boat. :cry:

Also check your bilge hose, on a previous boat a small split developed in the bilge hose and when the boat would auto bilge a small amount of water would leak back into the boat and wet the carpet

Do you notice the dampness after taking the boat out or is this area damp only after a rain when its stored on the trailer?

I mounted my battery boxes in the area shown in your photo only to (insert shame here) realize that the screw I put in to hold the battery box down punctured the bottom of the hull. Not a whole lot of water, but the carpet would be damp after a trip out in the boat. :cry:

It wasn't from taking it out. As for this season it hasn't left my driveway so I know when it rains I get this wet carpeting in that area. So I know its not a hull puncture problem. I did notice today though that the thru-hull ballast drain is not tight to the hull. I can push it in on the top left of it. I think I may have to just tighten it and solve the issue.

Thanks though

Claudio

Also check your bilge hose, on a previous boat a small split developed in the bilge hose and when the boat would auto bilge a small amount of water would leak back into the boat and wet the carpet

Yeah I thought about that but as I mentioned it has not been in the water so no pumping has been going on.

Thanks

Claudio

I'm willing to bet your leak is coming from those hoses and / or connections.

Yeah I think its the outer seal to the hull. It is not tight and you can see that water could possibly come through. So I think whats happening is when it rains the water runs down the cover and right into the opening on the inlet. What I am curious is could I spin it from the outside and tighten it or does it have to be done on the inside via the collar nut ?

Thanks,

Claudio

Well pulled the inlets for the ballast drain and resealed them. Also put a 90 on the inside so the hoses don't push against my amp rack. Pics !! hopefully this ends my leak in the storage compartment.

img0006xu.jpg

img0008bd.jpg