Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Response LXi Refurbish

This boat made it's debut on TTunder another thread that offended a few, my apologies. So on with the refurbish! Picked up this boat last fall from the club where I ski. High hour club use boat that was well maintained drivetrain wise (by me)but cosmetically was trashed. When the boat wasn't running it sat at the dock in direct sunlight. One of the trunk lids caved in

as did both hatches for the floor cooler/ski locker.

post-11528-0-86365000-1335458461_thumb.j

post-11528-0-73488100-1335458428_thumb.j

Got things rolling right before the winter set in. Decided not to go through the motor. Compression was good, it doesn't burn oil, and runs real strong. I did decide to change out the damper plate and clean things up a bit. What better way to start cleaning up the bilge than to remove the motor?

post-11528-0-73578100-1335459374_thumb.j

So obviously new carpet and a new interior is going in, what else is in the works?

Lot's of little things that will cut into my bottom line if I sell when i'm done. The dash pads were trashed and gave me a rash everytime i looked at them. New bilge pump, strut bearings,damper plate, fuel lines, throttle control cable,scored a Wedge from Capt.Mo who was parting out a boat,& some misc. small stuff. Heres a pic of the old/new dash. Very time consuming to remove/install. Every rocker switch has to be individually unplugged and fed thru the cut out in the fiberglass opening, then reinstalled one by one.

post-11528-0-69755300-1335521449_thumb.j

post-11528-0-11096100-1335521475_thumb.j

Heres the new carpet. I started from the stern and worked my way foward. I couldn't go with one piece into the footwell and up to the bow so I put a seem under the drivers seat.

post-11528-0-01567800-1335523374_thumb.j

Some of you guys might reember Capt.Mo parting out an LXi a while ago. I scored The Wedge and bracket for a good price. Blower hoses were pretty beat up behind the tank so they were replaced.

post-11528-0-01403700-1335524066_thumb.j

Lot's of little things that will cut into my bottom line if I sell when i'm done. The dash pads were trashed and gave me a rash everytime i looked at them. New bilge pump, strut bearings,damper plate, fuel lines, throttle control cable,scored a Wedge from Capt.Mo who was parting out a boat,& some misc. small stuff. Heres a pic of the old/new dash. Very time consuming to remove/install. Every rocker switch has to be individually unplugged and fed thru the cut out in the fiberglass opening, then reinstalled one by one.

The little stuff really adds up quick on a boat you're looking to flip for sure. On the dash been there done that, not a fun job. Are you going with new skins from Chee and installing them yourself or having a local shop take care of it?

That looks really good, did you just wrap the old one with new vinyl?

Gotta feel good having that & the carpet in...looking new again!

Thanks MB I farmed out the dash, a little to labor intensive/time consuming for me. $400 to redo all four pieces in new vinyl; Dashboard, armrest/control box panel, passenger dash pad, and glovebox lid. A little pricey but will be worth it in the long run, I hope!

The little stuff really adds up quick on a boat you're looking to flip for sure. On the dash been there done that, not a fun job. Are you going with new skins from Chee and installing them yourself or having a local shop take care of it?

I did about 70% of the interior myself but man, those wraparound pieces put me through the ringer. I farmed out the back seat after fighting with the wrap around bow cushions night after night. I still have some wrinkles here and there, I'm hoping they will soften out over time. Here's the rear seat I sent out, Guy gave me an estimate for $150 and I think he lost out on the deal. The stuff from Chee is top notch.

post-11528-0-32389900-1335530655_thumb.j

Thanks MB I farmed out the dash, a little to labor intensive/time consuming for me. $400 to redo all four pieces in new vinyl; Dashboard, armrest/control box panel, passenger dash pad, and glovebox lid. A little pricey but will be worth it in the long run, I hope!

Smart choice and not a bad price. Two toned and stitched--that's a lot of work and a lot of things to go wrong!

Looks like a great project.

Same thing for me with the wrap around seat. I bought the skins from Chee and had a local shop do the wrap around. When I first got it back it had the wrinkles in the radius just like yours. They said to put it in the boat and it would go away. Well it didn't so i brought it back to them for a redo. Should get it back this weekend.

Edited by Indyxc
  • 2 weeks later...

Found a good place to mount the PP Smart timer. Previous owner had it just laying inside the cup holder, I zipped tied it to the mounting block.

post-11528-0-97318100-1336561381_thumb.j

She's almost done! Just have to put the trunk back together. I have one brand new honeycomb aluminum panel to reskin and the other side might have to be wood. Panels from Malibu are expensive and so are the industrial sites like Grainger, and the like.

post-11528-0-29826400-1336561708_thumb.j

She's almost done! Just have to put the trunk back together. I have one brand new honeycomb aluminum panel to reskin and the other side might have to be wood. Panels from Malibu are expensive and so are the industrial sites like Grainger, and the like.

post-11528-0-29826400-1336561708_thumb.j

Gonna be a great boat, you gotta be stoked. Looking at the windshield, it looks like dips down on the driver's side. Does that support rod need to be replaced?

Gonna be a great boat, you gotta be stoked. Looking at the windshield, it looks like dips down on the driver's side. Does that support rod need to be replaced?

You have a good eye sir!! The side panels that go by the walk thru still have to be installed. The windshield support had to come off for the Dash removal/install, still need to adjust. I'm real stoked how the boat is coming along,& I'd love to keep it, but I have three ski boats and two have to go.