Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

tool kit recommendations?

Fman

Anyone have a good tool kit recommendation to carry on the boat? I have a mix and match set, looking for a nice kit that will stow away easy...

I posted this question a few years back. I didn't get much response. I looked for some type of marine grade set, but the choice was limited.

Here is what I have in my tool box: ratcheting wrenches, socket set, allen set, nut drivers, light for dark places!, hose picks, screwdrivers, impeller puller, test light not pictured, etc....

photo-2.jpg

My dry box sounds like skurfers. I also have a cheap set of jumper cables (not for me) :) which are the most used item in my box. I keep 3-4 transom plugs because last year I was passing them out like candy on the ramp! I hate cresent wrenches but they are on size fits all. Various sized mini-blade fuses by the gross. My starter fuse was eating the 5 amp ones like crazy until I replaced it with a 10 amp. Found out repeated cycling of the Malivue by the kids was the culprit. 1qt of 15-40 and ATF just in case and some 4 foot sections of 10/14/16 ga wire with wire nuts and electrical tape. I have a few friends with older boats and sketchy electrical skills. Extra impeller! Lastly a set of kids swim goggles to check the bottom of the boat if the need arises.

IIRC I got my dry box from WalMart for cheap. I have also seen them at Bass Pro $$$, Overtons and a few other places. It has a pull out lid tray and a gasket to seal the box. It is about 18x12x12 and wont quite fit under the seats so I have to put it in the locker on the non bagged side.

I got this set on sale from Lowes for $100.00. I bought it for the boat, it is such a great set and portable I ended up keeping it in the garage, I take it on the boat with me. It has storage on top for any other tools you think yo may need. I do also keep a small fishermans box with fuses, electical tape, epoxy, goggles, WD40 and a few other odds and ends that I can not seem to think of at the moment...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338518-22328-85183_4294777293_4294937087_?productId=3364134&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Tool%2BSets_4294777293_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Look into the Craftsman Evolv tools. They are not as expensive as the Craftsman pro tools with the no-questions-ask lifetime replacement, but they are better than some of the really cheap stuff you find at Harbor Freight. I didn't want to spend a ton for an occasional use set, but I also didn't want tools that broke when needed most.

I couldn't find one "kit" that had everything I wanted. So I purchased the SAE/Metric wrench set, screwdriver set, pliers set, and 3/8" drive ratchet set with SAE/Metric sockets. I then purchased a soft tool bag to throw everything in. Add in a few specific Allen wrenches (mostly for the tower bolts) some zip ties, duct tape, crazyglue, and for about $100 I can fix pretty much anything on the boat or tow vehicle without having to raid my main tool box that I keep in the garage.

I didn't bother trying to make sure everything was 100% stainless steel marine grade tools. But the time you spend that kind of money I could have probably replaced my travel tool kit 3 times over. I will probably throw a silica desiccant pack in the tool bag and call it done.

Also make sure you have a good first aid kit, mini flashlight, and a good knife for cutting off a rope wrapped around prop. Get one that you can tie a lanyard to so you don't drop it in the water. These were some affordable options from Amazon that I am happy with:

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o03_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o03_s00_i01

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

Edited by Brett B

It's probably around 20 pounds for everything I listed so it's pretty much negligible. It's pretty compact too, everything fits under the seat by the trash can.

Anyone have a good tool kit recommendation to carry on the boat? I have a mix and match set, looking for a nice kit that will stow away easy...

I have the tool kit from Overtons. It's around 50 bucks and NOT suitable for marine use. It has a bounch of room in the middle though for my battery cables, knife, spare impeller and puller,etc.

FWIW, in the last 5 or 6 years, the only things I've used were the knife once and a couple fuses for the wedge since I got the Vlx. I used the knife to remove a rope from the shaft on my old boat. I've also had the power wedge fuses blow while trying to stow the thing at speeds more that 5mph.

20 lbs?? Dang.

I have a small pouch with the basics, ie; common wrenches, sockets, ratchet, nut driver handle, multi-screwdriver, allen keys, channel locks, needle nose, crimpers, spare electrical connectors, electrical tape, spare fuses, zip ties, small flash light, BIG spotlight, battery cables, trailer jack & lug wrench that fits the trailer lugs.

Oh, and somehow I've accumulated like 4 pocket knives. Not terribly nice ones, but useful nevertheless. Let me know if any of you left one on my boat. ;)

Image082.jpg

And, then some.

All this, and more, fit into a tool box. I also carry a K+K jumpstarter.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I keep the one tool box with all that stuff in it (that my G.F. can barely lift) in the driver's side engine locker. Socket set on top of that. 2 5 gallon gas cans, one in each locker, decent sized first aid kit and a bunch of other stuff. Thank God I didn't buy a DD. Bottom line, you'd never know I had all those back-ups for my back-ups.

Image082.jpg

And, then some.

All this, and more, fit into a tool box. I also carry a K+K jumpstarter.

At least we know if someone's engine blows you have enough to rebuild it still on the water.

Since I've built that kit, it tends to be my go-to box of tools.

Like when I'm going to the track or, when installing a toilet on the third floor of my house when all my tools are in the garage on the bottom floor. Having a G.F. work as a gopher helps too. This is my main tool box.

garage1.jpg