Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

broken Adjustable Rudder insert

Has anyone had problems with their adjustable rudder. The metal pin that holds the adjustable piece in seared and the adjustment piece just flaps back and forth which causes the steering to be kind difficult. Boat doesn't track straight anymore and if I turn real sharp it's hard to get it going back to a straight position. Just tightening the bottom set screw doesn't seem to be working any longer. kinda wish it didn't have this adjustable piece on it anymore.

Looks like my only option is to pull the rudder and have the pin replaced. Problem is I don't think I can just get that pin, and my boat is about 6 month out of warranty.

any insight would be great.

Here's a pic I took from bakes. The long pin holding the adjuster in place snapped right at the top of the adjuster.(circles in red) It looks like the pin gets pressed in fron the top of the rudder(circled in green) becasue there is a whole at the top but not at the bottom.

I still have both set screws in the rubber and can screw them in all I want, but it doesn't change anything.

rudder.jpg

The reason I haven't pulled the rudder yet is there is only 1 whole for the shaft to go in and out of, that's at the top. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull the shaft out, and even if I pull the top broken part the actual adjuster and the shaft below will still be stuck in there.

Ryan, you'd be surprised how much impact that has on steering. Try removing the set screws on yours and drive it around like you normally would and you notice instantly in the turns. I ride mostly in the CA delta where there are many sharp turns, and this is where you really feel it. If I turn sharp to one side it take almost all my might to get the wheel turned back straight. Once I turn the wheel a 1/2 turn it's back to normal, but the first 1/2 turn is difficult. Driving straight I have to keep both hands on the wheel because it want's to make a sharp turn, like my old i/o used to do.

I might end up trying to just force something between the top and bottom to hold it steady, but the force on that piece might make whatever I put in there come right out.

The concept of an adjustable rudder is great, but the material used for the pin is obviously a weak point.

I have never heard of or seen one broken before. You may, once the rudder is out be able to slide the adjustable portion up a bit and cut the lower section of the broken pin off with a sawzall or hacksaw. Then you can force the upper section out with a little heat. You would be suprised what a litte heat will do. Then you will have to get the lower section out. By no means impossible. I know I could fix it if you were a bit closer.

man your avatar is scary as shi**. LOL I got some old school mechanics that I'm sure can get that out, but I'm still left with where to purchase the shaft. I might just have to have one made.

I keep my boat at the delta over the summer so this will probably be left for next winter.

I was just hoping maybe someone on this board had ran into this same problem that why I posted.

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a stainless rod for it. Most machine shops should be ablle to build one if it's not standard stock...but I would bet it is. I wouldn't run it like that all summer, your likely to loose the flap completely if the lower end breaks.

A couple of thoughts here:

If you can remove the tab, perhaps the pin can be pressed farther down to be reinserted in the tab and correct the problem by using a long stainless steel rod, either as a new pin or one to push the old one down. If you can get the old one out, you could get some ss rod and insert it to form a new pin.

The supplier for many of the rudders is a company called Marine Hardware, my Malibu has one. They have a website and locations on both coasts. There is a phone number in the catalog, and the rudders are on page 40 of the catalog. They also have a repair service so they should be able to give you the process to fix the problem.

If you can remove the tab, perhaps the pin can be pressed farther down to be reinserted in the tab and correct the problem by using a long stainless steel rod, either as a new pin or one to push the old one down. If you can get the old one out, you could get some ss rod and insert it to form a new pin.

The supplier for many of the rudders is a company called Marine Hardware, my Malibu has one. They have a website and locations on both coasts. There is a phone number in the catalog, and the rudders are on page 40 of the catalog. They also have a repair service so they should be able to give you the process to fix the problem.

:plus1: On this. But, Also I would question if it is steering that hard are you losing a steering cable. :whistle:

Thanks for the info on Marine Hardware. I' m going to give them a call and see what they suggest.

I'm a complete DIY'er and do most of my mechanical stuff myself, but to do any work I have to remove the rudder. I might just bite the bullet and remove the rudder and bring it back home with me.

:plus1: On this. But, Also I would question if it is steering that hard are you losing a steering cable. :whistle:

I think the cable is fine. The boat drives great and smooth most of the time, the only problems that I have are it pulling to the right, which most boats do without this kind of rudder or some rudder tuning. The other is when I have to turn real tight and quick It takes more force than usual to get the rudder turning back straight again.

This has been happening for almost 2 years, just not as bad, but I just noticed that the actual shaft had snapped. The bottom set screw I'm thinking used to hold it fairly well, but just doesn't have that ability anymore.

Edited by calilsv