Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting Amps on Walk Through?

Indyxc

Hello all,

In my free time (not much lately) I've been brainstorming some ideas on where to mount my new amps (Arc Audio 300.2/.4).

Did a bit of research and everyone seems to make a board, and mount/glue to to the passanger side comparment against the hull.

Today, brainstorming I came up with the idea to mount my 2 amps on the right of the same comparment against the walk through. To me this seems like a great spot, out of the way, not visible, and protected from water. However, I've never seen this done before??? Anyone have an idea why this isn't common? People want to see their amps?

I was just thinking:

1. Pop of the transom vinyl pad? How does it come off? Christmass tree posts? Does it go back if you pop them off?

2. Drill the hole pattern for the 2 amps through the fiberglass.

3. Run bolts with large vendor washers from the walkway, inward.

4. Mount amps on the inside. Put vinyl pad back?

This way you do not need to buy carpet, fabricate anything, etc. Am I missing something? Seems like the ideal place.

I has been done. I did it on my last boat, not because I didn't have amps on the port side hull, simply because I ran out of room and had a HUGE RF amp that I wanted to add.

The vinyl trim pieces do just pop off on your boat, not some of the newer ones though. Yours should just have the push pins (christmas trees).

I just screwed blocks right to the wall and screwed the amps to those. It's good to keep them elevated away from the carpet so they cool better. That wall is pretty thick, I would estimate 3/4" to 1 1/4" in spots.Through bolting is an option, but not necessary. There is also a metal support that is inside the glass that runs in a U through the walkway, you may hit that with the drill. I did.

I has been done. I did it on my last boat, not because I didn't have amps on the port side hull, simply because I ran out of room and had a HUGE RF amp that I wanted to add.

The vinyl trim pieces do just pop off on your boat, not some of the newer ones though. Yours should just have the push pins (christmas trees).

I just screwed blocks right to the wall and screwed the amps to those. It's good to keep them elevated away from the carpet so they cool better. That wall is pretty thick, I would estimate 3/4" to 1 1/4" in spots.Through bolting is an option, but not necessary. There is also a metal support that is inside the glass that runs in a U through the walkway, you may hit that with the drill. I did.

:plus1: Been here done that myself as well on my 06'.

Here is a picture I took while installing the amps. They are installed on a carpeted board that I can remove, on the center wall of the storage compartment. I didn't drill any holes, the trim pieces had bolts thru into the storage are with enough thread that I just used the existing hardware.

IMG_8120.jpg

Edited by Bozboat

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if there was an issue with doing it there, like a thin wall or something.

I'm going to mount them there this weekend. I'll post them up for future reference when I am done.

Just a quick update. Did a bit of work and was able to get the amps mounted there.

Went to Lowes, got some hardware:

8 thru bolts, 2 inches long

8 fender washers

8 small washers

8 nuts

8 1/2 spacers.

Drilled the holes from the outside inside. As mentioned it is about 1/2 inch think fiberglass wise. Ran the flat head screws from the outside in, put the spacers on there, and then mounted the amps.

http://imageshack.us/f/843/1amp.jpg/

They are slightly crooked, but no one will notice!

One tip is make sure you aren't drilling in the open area, but only in the area under the walkway pad.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/213/photo1oix.jpg/