Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally got the season started in Oregon

obski

We finally got to get out on the river yesterday, getting the right combination of no rain, sun, not working, and a manageable river. The water temp was 55F and air 82F. The river is still running high and fast with lots of debris, including whole trees and huge logs. The ramp we used was still high, and lots of mud where it had been completely submerged for some time. My daughter and her husband, Isaac, went out with our friend Donna. Donna skied in her drysuit, but Isaac impressively trunked it. I was pleased that the boat started up on the first push of the icon and ran perfectly. The USB input finally works after getting it replaced over the winter. I was also happy that I didn't hit any big debris, although it was not relaxing when under way. We also spent a fair amount of time enjoying the sun and some refreshing adult beverages.

post-108-0-26844700-1335198165_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-84204000-1335198178_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-75721100-1335198187_thumb.jpg

Very nice..it has been 92 degrees here for the past few days..I wasn't able to make it out yet but if the weather keeps up I will definitely be in your shoes soon..lol

Water temp is 56 over on the other side of the Mountian. Hit the cove on Sat, and Prineville on Sunday both nice days good to get out on the water also.

Good work on getting on the water! We were so blessed with the nice weather this past weekend in the NW!

Sunday was a perfect day! Went for an amazing run just before 7 while the rest of the family slept. Fog was just lifting off the river and fields and the sun was warm on my back! Went to church, then worked in the yard, and even got the boat out of the garage. Had the whole family over for some Treager smoked beer can chicken and Blue Moon to wash it down...couldn't have asked for a better day!

Nice! We are rolling up north as well. It was a banner weekend, both mornings out on the glassy water, both afternoons up at the mountain for some awesome spring skiing.

Lake is high as I've seen it, some debris but easy to spot. Water still pretty cold though, trunking it not an option for me.

It was a great weekend finally. we got ours out of the garage started, cleaned up and ready for the next nice weekend to hit the water :) cant wait!

It is looking like this weekend might clear up some, but it is not going to be as warm as it has been. I may need to get some more skiing in up on the mountain. Meadows is going to be open on weekends until May 20.

obski,

We live in Sherwood too! What ramp do you guys use? We use Roger's Landing almost exclusively. In fact, we went there on Saturday evening to let the boys fish off the dock and let the dog swim. I was bummed to see all the bebris hung up on the dock (see below). Any thoughts on how they are going to get that all cleared... they were really wedged in there.

Hope to see you on the river one of these days! Or in town at Safeway, Starbucks, Home Depot, etc. :biggrin:

16f3739d.jpg

obski,

We live in Sherwood too! What ramp do you guys use? We use Roger's Landing almost exclusively. In fact, we went there on Saturday evening to let the boys fish off the dock and let the dog swim. I was bummed to see all the bebris hung up on the dock (see below). Any thoughts on how they are going to get that all cleared... they were really wedged in there.

Hope to see you on the river one of these days! Or in town at Safeway, Starbucks, Home Depot, etc. :biggrin:

16f3739d.jpg

That is quite a mess. I read in the Newberg Graphic (yes, I do read it occasionally) that a whole crew had been down to clean out the debris from the dock and ramp there. Either they didn't do a very good job, or it refilled with debris.

We usually put in at Boone's Landing, but that Newberg pool is a great stretch of river. We have kept a slip down near Boone's Landing for the past 8 or 9 years. We used to have one at the Charbonneau slips until they had to close those down last year, so last year moved to one right by the launch ramp.

That VLX you are getting should be a great boat. We had a '06 VLX before getting the VTX last year. Come by and say 'hi' if you see us.

Wow, what a mess. I've hauled out 3 old dock logs & several small tree limbs or pieces of old dock lumber off our lake this spring. Nothing like that though.

I spent last week down in Wilsonville for work (office is over by Costco). Drove by the Boones Ferry docks a few times & it looked sooo nice.

Got out Sunday & paddled around the lake for the first time this year. Took me a bit longer than it did mid-summer last year but was great to get out. Then we took off from work early & SkySkied on Monday. Only tow boat on the lake, 86 degree air & 65 degree water..... shorts & a heater shirt. :rockon: Was GREAT to get out & shake the rust off!

We have kept a slip down near Boone's Landing for the past 8 or 9 years. We used to have one at the Charbonneau slips until they had to close those down last year

I thought Boone's Landing and Charbonneau was the same place. You are talking about the ramps and slips just west of the I-5 Boone's Bridge, right?

How are they different?

Wow, what a mess. I've hauled out 3 old dock logs & several small tree limbs or pieces of old dock lumber off our lake this spring. Nothing like that though.

I spent last week down in Wilsonville for work (office is over by Costco). Drove by the Boones Ferry docks a few times & it looked sooo nice.

Got out Sunday & paddled around the lake for the first time this year. Took me a bit longer than it did mid-summer last year but was great to get out. Then we took off from work early & SkySkied on Monday. Only tow boat on the lake, 86 degree air & 65 degree water..... shorts & a heater shirt. :rockon: Was GREAT to get out & shake the rust off!

Does your lake freeze over? That's really warm wate temp for this early in the season!

I thought Boone's Landing and Charbonneau was the same place. You are talking about the ramps and slips just west of the I-5 Boone's Bridge, right?

How are they different?

There is a set of slips to the east of the I-5 bridge, really almost right under the bridge, that you accessed from a small parking lot in Charbonneau. The walkway to the ramp down to the slips got washed out last year, so the slips can not be used. That is where we used to keep our boat. We now have a slip right by the launch ramp at Boone's Landing, which is, of course, west of the I-5 bridge. The slips on the Charbonneau side are still there, but there is no way to access them from land anymore.

Good work on getting on the water! We were so blessed with the nice weather this past weekend in the NW!

Sunday was a perfect day! Went for an amazing run just before 7 while the rest of the family slept. Fog was just lifting off the river and fields and the sun was warm on my back! Went to church, then worked in the yard, and even got the boat out of the garage. Had the whole family over for some Treager smoked beer can chicken and Blue Moon to wash it down...couldn't have asked for a better day!

I haven't tried that on the Traeger yet, but will have to. I am still really liking the grill and have not regretted getting it.

I have a sad Blue Moon story. I had a case in the garage on a shelf about half empty. My wife was pulling something else off of the shelf behind the case and inadvertantly sent it crashing to the floor. What a sad mess. Only two bottles survived the plunge. At least the case of Hef next to the Blue Moon didn't suffer a similar fate.

I get a few Foster Farms 'Young Chicken', rub it inside and out with olive oil, then coat with seaoning. Set it on a can of beer and put it on the grill. If it's cold outside I'll set the temp to medium, but if it's warm (like last weekend) I'll put it on smoke. Basically you want the temp in the 225* range. Cook it 2.5-3 hours and you'll know it's done with the bone easily pulls away from the meat.

Edited to remove questionable joke :)

Edited by jetskipro550

I get a few Foster Farms 'Young Chicken', rub it inside and out with olive oil, then coat with seaoning. Set it on a can of beer and put it on the grill. If it's cold outside I'll set the temp to medium, but if it's warm (like last weekend) I'll put it on smoke. Basically you want the temp in the 225* range. Cook it 2.5-3 hours and you'll know it's done with the bone easily pulls away from the meat.

Edited to remove questionable joke :)

I will have to try that.

I haven't gotten around to trying your pulled pork recipe yet, because I haven't had a group big enough to warrant the large amount of meat.

That is quite a mess. I read in the Newberg Graphic (yes, I do read it occasionally) that a whole crew had been down to clean out the debris from the dock and ramp there. Either they didn't do a very good job, or it refilled with debris.

We usually put in at Boone's Landing, but that Newberg pool is a great stretch of river. We have kept a slip down near Boone's Landing for the past 8 or 9 years. We used to have one at the Charbonneau slips until they had to close those down last year, so last year moved to one right by the launch ramp.

That VLX you are getting should be a great boat. We had a '06 VLX before getting the VTX last year. Come by and say 'hi' if you see us.

It always freaks me out to go out this early. seems like alot of dead heads floating, as well as other junk, It should get better every day I hope, Just de winterized mine yesterday so I'm ready.

It always freaks me out to go out this early. seems like alot of dead heads floating, as well as other junk, It should get better every day I hope, Just de winterized mine yesterday so I'm ready.

Ditto, Ditto, @ AWS tomorrow for the de-winter and some warranty work. Bring on the SUN!

I launched my new to me skier the week before it hit 80 in Wilsonville. The current was amazing. There was 6 inches of mud on the launch road. Does Newberg have the same current issues? It really freaked my kids out as we were doing the shakedown on our new bu. It started first click and ran great. Needs a new steering cable but otherwise like a new boat. I'm so excited for the season here as well. Already waaaay better than last year (anything would be).

I launched my new to me skier the week before it hit 80 in Wilsonville. The current was amazing. There was 6 inches of mud on the launch road. Does Newberg have the same current issues? It really freaked my kids out as we were doing the shakedown on our new bu. It started first click and ran great. Needs a new steering cable but otherwise like a new boat. I'm so excited for the season here as well. Already waaaay better than last year (anything would be).

Yep, it is usually running high and fast with lots of debris this time of year. It will get lower and slower when the rains ease up.

Just be careful.