Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefooting with Response LXI

DeeSigns

Sorry I know there was a topic about this somewhere, I just couldnt find it.

The i know they changed the hulls for the rlxi for 07-up. I was wondering what they are like for barefooting long-line and on the boom. Are you able to get away from the side spray if you get a boom extension? Also is the wake fine with a 100 foot tac line to cross and plant in?

I havent footed behind an 07+ rlxi. The hulls were changed but not wholesale changes, really just a tweak and a higher bow. I cant imagine that it drastically affected boom spray nor longline wakes THAT much. What wakes are you used to? Lets put it this way, the response is still regarded as the best open bow DD barefoot boat of the big 3.

I have skied for 3 years on an 06rlxi and the owner of that boat had the extension due to the spray on all of the responses. I just purchased my 07 rlxi and have not gotten to foot off it yet, but I did just pick up the extension to be on the safe side, expecially for back deeps.

I think if anyone is just a recreational footer I cannot see how they would not be happy with this boat. I only long ling 3-5 times a year so it was not a non buying point for me. Plus my buddy has a 2012 closed bow response that sits right near mine and we can ski either anytime we want.

OP, what wake are you used to? I see some responses about an extension to avoid spray. It all depend son what you're coming from as to how it will compare. For example, it will foot WAY better than a decently late model ski nautique and PS197. Will it be ski-pro material, maybe not but for an open bow dd, its fine.

Are you a rec barefooter or tournament? It is fine for weekend warrior footers. Tournament footers didn't like it at all. Much bigger wake then other footing boats.

I really don't follow that comment. A "MUCH" bigger wake?

We used to barefoot behind our 2000 Response closed bow and now foot behind our 2004 Response LXI. I actually prefer the wake and table of RLXI. If indeed the 07 has a similar wake as the older models I expect you'll not be disappointed.

I agree with MA 07 LXI (whats up Joe !!!!!!) for recreational footers the 07-12 hull is fine, if you are not into wake crossing, just hang outside the curl, I can only speak for myself, but I dont get paid to foot and still have to go to work on Monday morning !. so I dont need to go getting crazy out behind the boat, I leave that up to MA 07 LXI !!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Most definately get a boom extension, it makes back deeps easier without the spray hitting your calf and ankle

I would contact Ron Scarpa as he is uses Malibu's in his school. They should be able to provide good feedback for what years are good. I do know that they did not use the '07 and up boats as the infomation I saw implied the earlier boats were better.

My experience is that a Malibu wake is much better than either a CC or MC but the most recent 'Bus I have footed behind are an '05 LXi and a '07 LX. Sangar seems to be a popular footing boat but not a very good ski boat choice.

• Backfooter100 - cannot wait to test the 07 RLXI!!! Talk to you soon.

We can do some comparison stuff for the boys on the site with both our boats one day.

Woodski is correct. The 03-06 RLXi, which uses the same hull design as the Response and Response LX, is a great barefoot boat. You do need to use an extension if you use a boom as the side spray goes out a lot further, but not a big deal.

The 07-11 RLXi was not a popular barefoot boat at all, as the hull design was purely slalom - if you ride the curl that's fine, but wake crosses are bad at 70', and doable with a 90' line.

Be careful to not lump the 2012 TXi into the 07-11 group, as I believe we'll find it may be closer to the 03-06 wake table than the 07-11 table.

And as Backfooter mentioned, Paul Macdonald moved back to Canada, Ron closed the ski school, and the place to go is the WBC (World Barefoot Center). This is run by Keith St. Onge and David Small, and with the incredible eye of Swampy Bouchard they have built up a repertoire and fielded an awesome team of skiers. No disrespect to my friend Ron Scarpa, as his accomplishments and his school stood the test of time for many years, and now WBC is pushing the sport and discipline of barefooting back into the limelight. The sheer number of quality bare footers coming out of the WBC is amazing, and extremely humbling. :)

Hope that helps!

Peter

ok thanks for all the input. I came from a boat that doesnt have any side spray. I am going to be doing deep backwards on the long and short line. We always use 100 ft tac lines for long line so as long as we can cross the wake then thats fine. We dont have to be barefooting in the wake the whole time but sometimes it would be nice to be able to plant inside the wake. I may see what I can find on barefoot central.

ok thanks for all the input. I came from a boat that doesnt have any side spray. I am going to be doing deep backwards on the long and short line. We always use 100 ft tac lines for long line so as long as we can cross the wake then thats fine. We dont have to be barefooting in the wake the whole time but sometimes it would be nice to be able to plant inside the wake. I may see what I can find on barefoot central.

what boat are you used to?

Keep in mind that SWM comments are all relative to previous response models. I would disagree with SWM actually as to the 03-06 lxi being the same hull as R / RLX. In fact, its wider and longer, less defined curl and more turbulence. Matter at 100? Doubtful. But all of that is being hypercritical of response evolution. Compare any of these to a ski nautique and they are ALL far better.

what boat are you used to?

Keep in mind that SWM comments are all relative to previous response models. I would disagree with SWM actually as to the 03-06 lxi being the same hull as R / RLX. In fact, its wider and longer, less defined curl and more turbulence. Matter at 100? Doubtful. But all of that is being hypercritical of response evolution. Compare any of these to a ski nautique and they are ALL far better.

I actually came from a ski centurion. I have barefooted on a couple 2000 repsonses and have liked them a lot. but a boom extension is nice though on those

I actually came from a ski centurion. I have barefooted on a couple 2000 repsonses and have liked them a lot. but a boom extension is nice though on those

ski centurion what?

I'm not viewing this thread as a barefoot only thread. So any of the boats will work. If you want older, an Echleon or sunsetter would work too.

If you really care about the barefoot wake, then find a Sanger.

ski centurion what?

Elite. it was great for the boom because it put all the water out behind the boat which results in a bad skiing boat. It had a pretty bad wake in the back but we got by fine

I own an 06' Response Lxi, with 340 monsoon. I do a lot of barefooting with and without the boom. Lane Bowers @ the Footer's Edge sold me the contoured boom for the boat and highly recommended 2 boom extensions. I took his word for it. It doesn't matter who is using the boom whether it is my 4yr old skiing or a 220 pound footer there is no hull spray interferance. I do lot of long line skiing, tricks and wake solomon and really enjoy the wake&curl.

I would like to try a scarp a suppression plate, however do not want it to affect the waterskiing performance either.

Happy footing!

OK....Time for me to Chime in on this thread....Let me come at this from a slightly different angle...

You mention (several times I might add) that you want to use a 100' tac line...and a tac line has some pretty good (which is bad) strectch to it and because of its "BULK" will sag and feel pretty heavy at 100'....

Soooo, it is time for you to UP YOUR GAME and get a newer, thinner, lighter. less stretchy, barefoot line.....since you are going to need a longer line to foot with, and you seem to mention BFI lines, go with either a B-233 Cspec 100' Spectra Fusion line with a 15" wakes handle combo or a B-231 Spectra Fusion Line (100' with 3 removable 10' extension sections)... having a lighter, thinner and less stretchy barefoot line is key ESPECIALLY with the long lengths you will be using.....

I personally use an even stiffer, thinner, lighter line (B233 Official Barefoot Tournament 70' line) for my footing but they only come in 70' lengths from BFI... I use a 5' and or a 10" Spectra extension on mine but then I am able to foot at 80' & 85' behind my Flightcraft and my Echelon....something you won't want to do...

Secondly, to remove some of the hull spray from your new boat while booming, keep more weight on the Drivers side of the boat, put your boom out the Passenger side of the boat and angle it forward a little to cheat it away from the hull spray, and yes the 18" BFI Boom extension will help....Keep more weight on the drivers side will reduce the wetted surface on your passenger side and remove quite a bit of hull spray from that side....Also, keep people out of the bow of the boat and keep the weight of the gear out of the front of the boat and keep it in back of the boom....all will help to keep and lesson the wetted surface of the bow and side from causing you as much hull spray.....

Needles to say, when you are long-line footing....Keep the weight in the boat even so the wakes and curls are more symmetrical...

Also, different speeds will cause your hull spray and wakes to change dramatically....so play around with that....

Trying different brands and sizes and pitches and styles of Props will make a HUGE difference in the overall Wake, Table and Curl of your "behind the boat and through the wake" experience...but be careful as what you may love for footing you may not like how it feels for your slalom skiing....

When pulling someone up on your boom, try and pull them as quickly and up to speed as fast they can handle the pull out to get the spray behind them as soon as possible.....again, experiment with this as well....

And lastly, no one says you have to use a 5' handle. if you cheat it a little shorter, say by a foot, it will keep you a foot in front of the dreaded hull spray....but I would try this last....

Enjoy and keep us posted with your results and or feel free to ask for more advice from us fellow footers on this forum...

Edited by JB-FOOT

OK....Time for me to Chime in on this thread....Let me come at this from a slightly different angle...

You mention (several times I might add) that you want to use a 100' tac line...and a tac line has some pretty good (which is bad) strectch to it and because of its "BULK" will sag and feel pretty heavy at 100'....

Soooo, it is time for you to UP YOUR GAME and get a newer, thinner, lighter. less stretchy, barefoot line.....since you are going to need a longer line to foot with, and you seem to mention BFI lines, go with either a B-233 Cspec 100' Spectra Fusion line with a 15" wakes handle combo or a B-231 Spectra Fusion Line (100' with 3 removable 10' extension sections)... having a lighter, thinner and less stretchy barefoot line is key ESPECIALLY with the long lengths you will be using.....

I personally use an even stiffer, thinner, lighter line (B233 Official Barefoot Tournament 70' line) for my footing but they only come in 70' lengths from BFI... I use a 5' and or a 10" Spectra extension on mine but then I am able to foot at 80' & 85' behind my Flightcraft and my Echelon....something you won't want to do...

Secondly, to remove some of the hull spray from your new boat while booming, keep more weight on the Drivers side of the boat, put your boom out the Passenger side of the boat and angle it forward a little to cheat it away from the hull spray, and yes the 18" BFI Boom extension will help....Keep more weight on the drivers side will reduce the wetted surface on your passenger side and remove quite a bit of hull spray from that side....Also, keep people out of the bow of the boat and keep the weight of the gear out of the front of the boat and keep it in back of the boom....all will help to keep and lesson the wetted surface of the bow and side from causing you as much hull spray.....

Needles to say, when you are long-line footing....Keep the weight in the boat even so the wakes and curls are more symmetrical...

Also, different speeds will cause your hull spray and wakes to change dramatically....so play around with that....

Trying different brands and sizes and pitches and styles of Props will make a HUGE difference in the overall Wake, Table and Curl of your "behind the boat and through the wake" experience...but be careful as what you may love for footing you may not like how it feels for your slalom skiing....

When pulling someone up on your boom, try and pull them as quickly and up to speed as fast they can handle the pull out to get the spray behind them as soon as possible.....again, experiment with this as well....

And lastly, no one says you have to use a 5' handle. if you cheat it a little shorter, say by a foot, it will keep you a foot in front of the dreaded hull spray....but I would try this last....

Enjoy and keep us posted with your results and or feel free to ask for more advice from us fellow footers on this forum...

thanks for the great info! we do use the Barefoot international thin tac lines and we do like them a lot. Hopefully we will pick up a boat this weekend, and give it a try soon!

JB-FOOT has alot of good advice. I used the Poly-E tac line for a few years untill I tried Spectra. Never went back because Spectra give you a very solid pull (no sagging, no stretch). Depending on your caliber of sking you should find the Rlxi to your liking if you get it dialed in. I long line back deep, and wake slalom at 75' and it suits me just fine.

Have fun !