Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing rub-rail section

I want to remove a section of my rub rail to mount an amp rack to my side gunnel. How hard is this to do, what steps do I need to take, and will it look the same as it did after re-installing?

Looks like another victim of seeing Grant's work.

I'm guessing he plans to mount amp racks under the passenger compartment by making a metal bar support that bolts through the rub rail on the top and into the floor on the bottom so the amps hug the inside of the hull like the photo.

Here are some better pics without the painter's tape protecting the amps during install.

http://www.soundillusionsaudio.com/modules...=view_photo.php

Save yourself some time, money, and engery and just rip off a section of carpet, apply MDF board to the wall using Liquid Nails (or something like it), carpet the MDF, and then screw your amps into the MDF.

Save yourself some time, money, and engery and just rip off a section of carpet, apply MDF board to the wall using Liquid Nails (or something like it), carpet the MDF, and then screw your amps into the MDF.

Jsp's right it would be a lot easier to do this! As far as looks goes I think it would be clean and almost look oem. Come to think of it thats probably what I'm going to do...

Jsp's right it would be a lot easier to do this! As far as looks goes I think it would be clean and almost look oem. Come to think of it thats probably what I'm going to do...

This is the second post I have read lately that recommends using mdf. mdf should not be used in a marine environment, it will swell if exposed to moisture.

And why would you want to install wood into an all fibreglass boat anyway?

If you are going to use wood it should be 3/4 inch treated plywood.

I was just assuming that he would be smart enough to seal it somehow. I would use some sort of bed liner sealer, but since you don't like the idea of wood in the boat he could always fiberglass it.

Thats exactly why I asked Yabetcha, I tried to add a picture but don't know how. (Can someone tell me how to add pics?) So no one has taken a rubrail or insert off here? I was just planning on taking off the insert, not the entire thing. I used plywood coated with fiberglass resin fiberglassed onto the side of the boat on my last boat. It worked fine, I just thought I'd like the challenge of doing it the way Grant did his install, and I also didn't want to cut up my carpet since I'm mounting 4 amps.

Thanks for your replys.

Johnny

I honestly don't think it would be that hard....I don't remember if the SS rubrails are blind riveted or screwed in, but the hardest part would be removing the fasteners without marring the SS rubrail. I'm guessing the seam is on the transom under a cap.

The SS rubrail should hold it's shape if you're careful when removing so reinstalling shouldn't be too bad.

p.s. Two ways to post pics....either become a crew supporter or else post the pics on a photo hosting website (PhotoBucket) and post link the image (IMG....../IMG) in your message.

Edited by yabetcha

Remember the deck to hull joint is under the rubrail and messing with that area can open a can of worms. I'm guessing Malibu uses a bonded butt joint which if it were split in any way could spread with the pounding a boat takes.

electricjohn, i hope you are an electrician, cause the other mental image is rather shocking Biggrin.gif

Yes, I am an electrician, and you gave me a great idea for an invention. I am also a level III instrument technician so when they came out with computorized boat motors, it made my day. Spelling on the other hand leaves something to be desired.