Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nauti laugic GPS Speed Control Conversion

Fman

After having some issues the other day with my paddle wheel I am going to upgrade to the Nauti GPS speed control. I wanted to find out if anyone has been using this and what there thoughts are on it? It looks like a great system, plug and play and it will eliminate using the speedo wheel and they claim it holds the speed much better than the paddle wheel.

If anyone has been using this and has good or bad feedback please chime in and let me know if its worth the $275 investment.

Thank you...

http://nauticlaugic.com/nl4-xl%20packages.html

I had this installed all last summer. It does make the speed control more precise. I found that the boat didn't wander (up and down speed) as much.

I did run into an issue that I did not have with the paddlewheel, but I am not sure if it is related to the GPS or not. A few times while surfing, the boat would slow way down after having gone for a little while. Then it would hesitate and never get back up to speed. After putting the throttle in neutral and then pulling the rider back up, it worked fine. Not sure if the GPS lost the connection to the satellite, or what. I have the puck mounted on the dash under the windshield.This only happened maybe 3 times last summer, both for goofy and standard riders. If it happens again, I may try mounting it in an unobstructed location.I just couldn't find a good way to do that without cutting a hole or having the wire run over an area I would rather not have it (windshield, gunnel, etc.).

Also, be sure to keep the wires away from any stereo wires (RCA to amp, speaker wires). I had the wire running to the puck next to the RCA wires going to my amp, and there was clicking and humming noises coming from the tower speakers running off the amp. After A LOT of investigation, I finally figured out it was the GPS puck wire. After rerouting it away from the RCA cable, the noises went away.

After having some issues the other day with my paddle wheel I am going to upgrade to the Nauti GPS speed control. I wanted to find out if anyone has been using this and what there thoughts are on it? It looks like a great system, plug and play and it will eliminate using the speedo wheel and they claim it holds the speed much better than the paddle wheel.

If anyone has been using this and has good or bad feedback please chime in and let me know if its worth the $275 investment.

Thank you...

http://nauticlaugic....20packages.html

What type of issues did you have?

I installed this unit on my '09 VLX and was very pleased, the current owner still runs it. The speed control was much better on the '11 so I didn't feel it was necessary. Here's one thread and pretty sure there are others on here with positive reviews.

http://www.themalibu...-fixed/page__hl

Were you running the stock speed control on your 2011 VLX? It seems to be pretty good, but I have heard other complain about it on here before. Do you think the GPS would actually improve the speed control on the 2011 or would there be no noticeable changes between the two?

What type of issues did you have?

I lost my speed control two times on Saturday, no speedometer and no MPH indicator on Maliview. There was a bunch of debris in the water, jury is still out if it was debris that got jammed in the wheel. I did notice under the boat the raw water intake had a bunch of weeds on it, so its quite possible I had debris in the paddle wheel. After I took the boat out of the water I spun the wheel by hand and it is registering on the maliview and speedo, although it wasp pretty dark and I could not tell if anything was jammed inside the wheel. The wheel is not missing any paddles, dealer is taking a look at it this week.

I just thought the GPS would be a nice upgrade to not have to worry about debris jamming up the wheel. Not sure how often this happens, but it looks like it would not take much to stop the wheel from moving.

I installed this unit on my '09 VLX and was very pleased, the current owner still runs it. The speed control was much better on the '11 so I didn't feel it was necessary. Here's one thread and pretty sure there are others on here with positive reviews.

http://www.themalibu...-fixed/page__hl

I'm the one that started that thread and I still think it is the best modification that I have done to my VLX and it's still working great and I'm getting ready to order one for my Response. It's a great product and super easy to install.

Terry

I had this installed all last summer. It does make the speed control more precise. I found that the boat didn't wander (up and down speed) as much.

I did run into an issue that I did not have with the paddlewheel, but I am not sure if it is related to the GPS or not. A few times while surfing, the boat would slow way down after having gone for a little while. Then it would hesitate and never get back up to speed. After putting the throttle in neutral and then pulling the rider back up, it worked fine. Not sure if the GPS lost the connection to the satellite, or what. I have the puck mounted on the dash under the windshield.This only happened maybe 3 times last summer, both for goofy and standard riders. If it happens again, I may try mounting it in an unobstructed location.I just couldn't find a good way to do that without cutting a hole or having the wire run over an area I would rather not have it (windshield, gunnel, etc.).

Also, be sure to keep the wires away from any stereo wires (RCA to amp, speaker wires). I had the wire running to the puck next to the RCA wires going to my amp, and there was clicking and humming noises coming from the tower speakers running off the amp. After A LOT of investigation, I finally figured out it was the GPS puck wire. After rerouting it away from the RCA cable, the noises went away.

I'm not sure where you mounted the box on your 07 VLX since there seems to be two locations for the connection (by engine or by dash). Mine was in the dash. I pulled the panel that holds the gauges out and mounted the box in the space behind the gauges. This also gives you access to the back of the air vent in front of the windsheild. You can then run the GPS puck out the air vent and attach it to the deck in front of the vent. No obstructions and you are close enough to the vent that only the puck is visable, no wires visable.