Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo noise from Depth Finder

I've been troubleshooting 2 noises coming through the stereo. One is a ticking noise and the other is a consistent very high pitch noise (that does not change with engine speed. Both sounds are consistent even if the engine is off. When I unhooked the ground for the depth gauge, both sounds went away. I tried running a spare ground to the battery for the depth to see if that would fix the issue but it didn't. Right now I left the depth gauge unhooked and was hoping for a little help.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem. It was because I grounded the HU to a switch in the dash. Once I gave the HU it's own ground directly to the battery the problem went away.

*Edit - On our boat all of the dash switches are wired together,

Edited by jetskipro550

you might eliminate the noise if you power the HU from your biggest amp (or your stereo battery directly, if you have one). You could try running a power and ground run from the HU to the amp and just stick the power and ground wires in with the amp power and ground wires. see if that clears it up.

Edited by shawndoggy

Well, I do have a deep cycle in there now wired up to my batt 2 position. I'm not really sure how I should be wiring everything as I'm not a huge stereo guy. Should the stereo be completely separate from the start/boat battery? Basically a separate loop? I do have an onboard tender that I use when the boat is not in use.

Is the wire that runs to your depth finder near to your speaker or RCA cables? If so, just the electrical current running through that wire may cause enough of a magnetic field to cause the issues you are describing.

Is the wire that runs to your depth finder near to your speaker or RCA cables? If so, just the electrical current running through that wire may cause enough of a magnetic field to cause the issues you are describing.

It's a possibility. I looked into it a little last year by running new RCAs across the floor to see if that fixed it and it didn't. I also ran a new power and ground across the floor and that didn't fix it but I didn't try the switched wire from the ignition. Could that cause a problem?

when you disconnect the depth finder, does the noise stop? I had the very same issue! I removed the tie wraps, seperated the wires, and ran everything to a common ground. The noise stopped, and I rejoiced. I strapped all the wires back up and went to the lake and the noise was back. I figure I must be close to the depth finder or tack lead to cause this. I will go back and try again and repost if I find the issue.

when you disconnect the depth finder, does the noise stop? I had the very same issue! I removed the tie wraps, seperated the wires, and ran everything to a common ground. The noise stopped, and I rejoiced. I strapped all the wires back up and went to the lake and the noise was back. I figure I must be close to the depth finder or tack lead to cause this. I will go back and try again and repost if I find the issue.

When you say you had the exact same issue, are you saying it was the depth sounder causing the noise?

I havent confirmed mine is the depth finder, but the noise described is similiar to mine.Heading to the lake today to trouble shoot it.

I haven't been able to trouble shoot since my last post. My Grandma passed last week and now my Grandpa (other side) passed today. It will be a while before I make it out there to try some more. Thanks for the tips and I will be sure to let you know. We're still opening the place so once I get some quality time with the Bu I should be able to try a few more things suggested above.

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

To follow up on this post, it turns out my factory depth finder was radiating all kinds of noise at random intervals and intensities into my stereo system. It took forever to track down, as the depth finder is always on when the key is on. I would add a EQ or preamp and I had noise like crazy. The noise would come and go, sometimes a low level hiss, sometimes a variable popping sound coming thru the speakers. I tried a new HU, new rca cables, direct wiring to a separate battery, home run power and ground wires, everything. I pulled the dash, removed the power wire from the (still working) factory depth finder, and the noise is gone. Even better, the direct replacement Hummingbird 650 unit causes no noise issues. SO, I have learned the factory depth finder can go bad and still work. I would have had a hard time believing this before this lesson. Best $100 bucks I've spent in a while.