Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl repair pricing

I'm having the Obs. seat and rear bench re-covered. I've been quoted $150 for the rear and $125 for the Obs seat. Does this seem like a fair price to others? All white vinyl just like it came out of the factory.

Thanks

That seems about right to me. I just had 2 skins replaced and it ran $300 total. I went to a vinyl shop to get it done.

I called my local dealer about ordering both skins and was told it was $75 per skin just to order. Then about another $100 to $150 to mount Also it would take 10 to 12 weeks before they would come in.

So I decided to take them to a vinyl shop near me and it took 2 days.

Good luck.

Just a tip....Make sure that the vinyl shop is going to match the factory stitching. I don't know if they used the same style in 95, but on the newer boats I know Malibu uses a stronger triple stitch configuration(more labor intense). Hope that makes sense. The price sounds good to me.

Edited by wakeace

Does anybody know what's involved in installing the skins? Seems like some folks have done it themselves before. I may have to replace some and wouldn't mind saving the labor cost if I can.

Just a tip....Make sure that the vinyl shop is going to match the factory stitching. I don't know if they used the same style in 95, but on the newer boats I know Malibu uses a stronger triple stitch configuration(more labor intense).  Hope that makes sense.  The price sounds good to me.

Good thing to consider!! To be honest, I didn't even think about this when I had my seats done. Fortunately, the shop that did mine matched the original stitching perfectly and you can't even notice the difference.

How good are you at steaming out wrinkles?

What is all involved in the process? I also don't feel like paying for the labor, but don't want my self or an upholstery shop messing it up.

You need to sttrrrrrrrretchhh it...like that lip in your avatar.

Crazy.gif

LOL

Stretch and staple I'm assuming

How good are you at steaming out wrinkles?

What is all involved in the process? I also don't feel like paying for the labor, but don't want my self or an upholstery shop messing it up.

You need to sttrrrrrrrretchhh it...like that lip in your avatar.

Crazy.gif

Yep and you need to use steam to get it really nice especially on the rounded corner piece. You could do it yourself but it's easy to get the vinyl too hot in places and then it will turn hard and crack sometime in the near future. You could probably lay the vinyl in the hot sun and then stretch it on. I did that with my old 65 Mustang seat skins.

LOL

Stretch and staple I'm assuming

Thanks for the replies!

I did not think about stitching either. I'm not sure if it would be visible on the 2 seats I'm looking to have redone. but definitely a good tip!

The pricing did not sound bad to me either, I just wasn't sure what others had paid, especially those who went through contacts such as Chee (sp?)

The price I mentioned was installed. I would not consider doing it myself just for the WRINKLES issue. I've recovered a few dirt bike and snowmobile seats in the past. Some with good luck others with some not so good luck.

I'm thinking of doing mine too. However, I want to make my back seat bench into a 3 piece so the middle cusion can come out (velcro). This prevents people from walking all over your seat.

reupholstry can be a pain on some seats. i had a friend buy the skins from the dealer and then try to do it on his own...he could not get the seams lined up and could not get the skins hot enough to stretch, royal pain...