Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater Craft hot air heater install

09vRide

09vRide,

This install looks very familiar :biggrin:

I'm glad my pics and quick write up helped out. I looks very nice. Now get out on the water and use it !!!

I'm going to be installing a heater in my 04 23LSV in the next couple of weeks, I went with a 3 vent unit as well and love what you did with the third hot tube. Will be copying you for sure. I see you're from Pitt Meadows, I'm from Langley. Where do you usually take the boat out? Pitt Lake?

I'm going to be installing a heater in my 04 23LSV in the next couple of weeks, I went with a 3 vent unit as well and love what you did with the third hot tube. Will be copying you for sure. I see you're from Pitt Meadows, I'm from Langley. Where do you usually take the boat out? Pitt Lake?

We hit Pitt Lake for most of our local boating. It's nice and close for us - I can be on the water in 30 min from my driveway. We head up to the Shushwap/Mabel/Okanogan Lake area for a couple weeks in the summer too. Stop by and say Hi if you see us out on Pitt. We're in the all black vRide - It looks gangsta, but we're friendly :)

Edited by 09vRide

Great write up..

What did you use for Seat spacers? and where did you attach them I would like to raise my seat 1-2" as well, Several screws looked like there are hiding in the seat and have to remove carpet or take the seat apart.

Nice, I need a heater I think, where did you get the heater from?

I picked up the main heater kit and hoses/fittings from Lordco (Western Marine is the distributor they used). Switch, switch cover and Y pipe came from Bake's Marine.

Great write up..

What did you use for Seat spacers? and where did you attach them I would like to raise my seat 1-2" as well, Several screws looked like there are hiding in the seat and have to remove carpet or take the seat apart.

I'm using two pieces of 3/4"x2"x7.5" Aluminum along with longer bolts. Once I'm done I'll post up a few pics of that too.

Very nice write-up! I ordered my Bu with the heater, but I think I will look at moving one of the vents to starboard side as you did.

Check that, Went and looked last night and that area is right where one of my speakers are mounted. Looking for new ideas on where to relocate one of my vents.

Nice job!

Don

Edited by Phoenix

We hit Pitt Lake for most of our local boating. It's nice and close for us - I can be on the water in 30 min from my driveway. We head up to the Shushwap/Mabel/Okanogan Lake area for a couple weeks in the summer too. Stop by and say Hi if you see us out on Pitt. We're in the all black vRide - It looks gangsta, but we're friendly :)

I'll keep an eye out for you, I'm in the blue and black 23 LSV

Has anyone tried using a brass tee rather than the plastic y on the heater core line before the raw water pump. I wanted to do quick disconnects on the heater and shower for easy winterization

That "Y" isn't plastic, it's some type of metal.

I did quick disconnects and valves on both sides of the heater core (supply and return) so I could isolate the heater from the engine completely and make it easier for winterization. I'll see if I can find a picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I am replacing the heater in my Rlxi and I've run into a problem with wiring it. The heater was provided by the guy we bought the boat off of and it is a bu oem I believe since he was well connected with the factory in Tennessee and had the tower and wedge installed for us there. The wires coming from the new heater motor have connectors on the end of them and are about 4 inches long. The old heater has no such connectors and appears to be wired directly into the switch panel with full length, uninterrupted wiring. So I was thinking I would just clip the wire right at the connection to the old heater and then use crimp/heat shrink connectors to connect the new wires (I would remove the connectors on the new wires so that they are just raw wire ends). If I do this what gage wire connectors do I need to use? And will this even work? The other option would be just plain electrical tape but that seems a little to basic and half a*s to me. Please let me know if you guys have experience doing this or if there is a better method.

Thanks, Mike

Edited by Byrnsie

The Y is made of stainless. Yes, you can purchase a hard plastic 1.25" pipe with a .5" pipe thread that you can install a brass 5/8" hose fitting, check valve or quick disconect. The Y fitting does provide the smaller orifice and the angled pipe for the heater hose that is difficult to replicate in the brass fittings.

• 5 months later...

Agreed, this is great but I keep referring back to this as I'm building my parts list, it'd be nice if it was located in the resources section rather than having to run a search for it. For some reason I can't "follow this topic" either...?

Question though, all fittings for the supply line are 1/2". How is the 1/2" x 1/2" male to barb fitting working with a 5/8" heater hose?

Edit-nevermind, I assume 1/2' is the ID on that fitting.

Edited by Ndawg12

A couple of things to add on these heater installs.

We did a new install on my buddies' new 23' Vride last winter. I always thought installing the heater core up under the dash was a stupid place..... if it ever leaks, it can damage your dash electronics & your sub. Plus it's a tight spot to fit it in there so it's tough to fit, tough to work on. We chose to install his core behind the driver's seat, behind the seat cooler, near the rear corner of the main cabin area. Plus we did 2 hot tubes in that same location (at the passengers feet). Plus ran a 3rd hot tub (he chose to run the bigger core with 2 fans) up to the driver's area thru the gunnel. This way he has EASY access to it if he needs it, plus he has more heat available in the rear of the boat for the passengers.

Heatercraft also has a new option available. In addition to the Y adapter, they are adding a small electric water pump to the water hose. It's wired in to your same switch that the fan is on, so it all comes on together. This means the heater is not relying on the water pump to keep the water flow going. So the result is that you have GOOD HEAT at idle speeds..... the Y adapter was an improvement in this area, but this pump is DRAMATIC! And the perk of doing it this way is that you get heat after the engine is cut off for like 5 or 10 minutes. The engine is still hot, and the pump is using that heat to keep it goin!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I like your idea Bill, I'll have to do some measuring to see if it will fit there along with a hot tube mounted under there. I think I want 2 coming out of the gunnel on the starboard side and 1 mounted on my sub somehow.

Still struggling with the 1/2" vs 5/8" supply fittings to hose... What are the dimensions of this fitting?

post-8316-0-99688400-1353082382_thumb.jp