Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 V-ride pretty optioned out or 05 23 lsv with same options

dwike

It's come down to decision time for me. I've got the guy on the on the 09 V-ride down to $37k and it only has 53 hours. However, I really would like the additional room the 05 23 lsv has. I look at NADA and the base value of teh 05 lsv is $32+k and the base value of the 09 V-ride is $31+k.

Here is the options list so you can see how nice the V-ride is:

Silent Rider mufflers

Precision Pro Speed Control

Locking Glove box and rear storage bins

Chrome Gauge Panel

Ski tow w/ Rear chrome grab bar / handle

Ballest Tanks (400 rear + 500 Mid= 900)

Wedge - Polished Chrome, Manual Floating

Engine Indmar 320 Hp LCR EFI V-8

Trailer Boatmate Tandem Axel w/disc breaks

Water Cooled Shaft

Flip Up Bolster Drivers Seat

Pull up cleats - two pair

Depth Finder Module

Sunbrella Cover for Illusion X w/ Swim Platform (Black w/ Malibu)

Fiberglass Swim Platform

Bimini Top w/ Boot

Illusion X Tower Spinner racks (2) plus Surf Rack

Malibu JBL Stereo Sound Pack 1 w/ 1gb memory, USB, Ipod, Remote, 4 Rockford Fosgate Speakers

Tower Lights - 4 (two forward, two aft)

Tower Speakers - 4 - Krypt in Chrome Cans for Illusion X tower

Amps - 2 ARC 4 Channel xxd4080

Subwoofer - Polk w/ sub box and grill

Dual Batteries w/ Perko Battery Switch

LED lights interior

%7Boption%7Dhttp://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2da39b3127cceffb073840ec200000030O01AbN27Fk3csQe3nw4/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480//%7Boption%7D

Let's just say the 05 LSV is similarly optioned out but has a few more hours

Which will hold it's value better and be the better buy if I can get them for about the same price?

What else should I be considering????

Thanks in advance.

That seems like a really good price for the 09,but I wish I would of got a 23' boat hmmm.I think I would still go with the 09.

When I was looking I found 23's cheaper or same as 21's . So I would think the 09 is the better deal.

It all comes down to the shape the boats are in. I have seen 05,06,and 07's in better shape than 09 and 10's. I went from a vlx to a 247....love the room. Originally looking for a 23 footer. I like the option of having mmore room over year...just my 2 cents...good luck and you will happy with either. They both are a BU!!!

I love my 09 21vRide. I bought it last year for $38K with 45 hours on it. It is similarly equipped - except mine has a power wedge (and a heater now). A little more ballast would be nice - I just bring more people.

I look at NADA and the base value of teh 05 lsv is $32+k and the base value of the 09 V-ride is $31+k.

Let's just say the 05 LSV is similarly optioned out but has a few more hours - So an older boat (4 years) with more hours is worth around the same as the 09?

Which will hold it's value better and be the better buy if I can get them for about the same price - Granted, the LSV MSRP was more than a VLX or VRide in 05 but I would venture to say that the LSV has leveled out and the Ride will drop more as it gets older. Look at 01-03 Super Air's, they still sell in the 20k range for a 10 year old boat. I can see that demand for the LSV down the road but not the Ride. Additionally, most will not know that the 09 is a newer hull design, 4+ years more of advancements and buy in to the premium vs. budget idea.

I spoke with a Malibu rep back in November about what they were doing to keep costs down and keeping the lines fresh. He mentioned that they were looking at the Ride line very hard now as they have the Axis line to fulfill the price point segment. He didn't say they were going to phase out the Ride line, but his body language suggested that it might happen. If boats are like cars, when a line gets dropped the value goes down unless it's a limited run and demand for a collectible is high.

What do you need the extra space for? Large crew, lots of gear, surfing possibilities?

My .02

That boat has some nice options! How many hours are on the LSV? A lot of your decision should depend on whether or not you NEED the extra space. Next would be the condition of the 2 compared to each other. If that LSV is totally minted out w/relatively low hours and you could get it for cheaper then it would be a tough decision even if you didn't need more room. It would always be nice to have more storage and space. I too looked at larger boats and almost bought a few but the Vride will fit my needs as 90% of my boating is done with only my wife and I. If I NEEDED the extra space then I might have kept looking. Big reasons why I ended up buying it was because it was so clean with only 45 hrs. I would need more info on the 05 LSV to be able to give my full opinion. Does it have the Titan tower or illusion? That might sway my decision too. I like that Titan 3 quite a bit.

we went thru a similar dilemma - ended up choosing the Vride, figured we'd only have the kids a few more years and we wanted to upgrade - here's where we landed: newer boat = less maintenance requirements... just my 02 cents

Tough choice, my thinking is newer is always better especially when you go to sell it. 53 hours is pretty much brand new, what's it had 1 oil change. But if you absolutely need the space then bigger is the way togo.

we went thru a similar dilemma - ended up choosing the Vride, figured we'd only have the kids a few more years and we wanted to upgrade - here's where we landed: newer boat = less maintenance requirements... just my 02 cents

At those ages the maintenance is the same. And in general I'd rather have the older boat for exactly that reason. Less computers = less maintenance. In this case of course that may not apply as I am not ultra familiar with the Vride details.

In my opinion, if the LSV is clean its the no brainer. If it isn't super clean, then I'd look for a different LSV. Long term when boats get old it'll always be the fully optioned out top of the line one that will hold it's value.

As was referenced above, with Axis I don't see the point of the Vride anymore and bet economies of scale will make it disappear. A couple years after that happens you'll be glad you have an LSV as no one on the internet will be searching out Vrides.

A little more details on my opinion. Condition and how anal the owner was is what I'd look for. A clean boat is always a win. One that isn't will surprise you with either frustrations or $ problems.

Wow, have you guys actually compared an Axis and vRide side-to-side? They are totally different types of boats with (more than likely) two completely different types of buyers.

Cast my vote for the 2009 vRide.

Edited by Sride

Wow, have you guys actually compared an Axis and vRide side-to-side? They are totally different types of boats with (more than likely) two completely different types of buyers.

Cast my vote for the 2009 vRide.

Can you elaborate on this? Both buyers are looking for a quality vdrive from a reputable manufacturer at a great price.....

Can you elaborate on this? Both buyers are looking for a quality vdrive from a reputable manufacturer at a great price.....

Well, its hard to say what a great price is. Newer model vRides are expensive (subjective).

I think some of the differentiating features between Axis and vRide for future used buyers would be wrap-around glass, G3 tower (Axis has V2 collapse, but its non-chrome option), walk-through bow seating, less draft in < 23ft models, availability of a 23ft model, and more established brand (Malibu). As a new vRide buyer I liked the 17K in savings over the lowest Wakesetter 23 LSV quote but retaining some of the newer generation Wakesetter features.

Some people would argue that if you are spending that much money just spend the extra 17K and be done with it. As you pointed out, they are all quality vdrive boats at a great price.

Edited by Sride

At those ages the maintenance is the same. And in general I'd rather have the older boat for exactly that reason. Less computers = less maintenance. In this case of course that may not apply as I am not ultra familiar with the Vride details.

In my opinion, if the LSV is clean its the no brainer. If it isn't super clean, then I'd look for a different LSV. Long term when boats get old it'll always be the fully optioned out top of the line one that will hold it's value.

As was referenced above, with Axis I don't see the point of the Vride anymore and bet economies of scale will make it disappear. A couple years after that happens you'll be glad you have an LSV as no one on the internet will be searching out Vrides.

A little more details on my opinion. Condition and how anal the owner was is what I'd look for. A clean boat is always a win. One that isn't will surprise you with either frustrations or $ problems.

An 05 LSV is no more or less complicated than an 09 V-ride with the LCR. LCR is a solid engine, no CATs, tried and true. Nice benefit is you get newer electronics with that engine which will be supported longer.

No MUX switches on the v-ride either, same as the LSV. So definitively give the nod to the 4 year newer boat on the maintenance side.

Frankly I think you're getting a great deal on the v-ride and an average deal on the LSV, I think there is more value in the V-ride.

-Chris

I own an 05 21' Vride. And I have a couple of buddies who own an 06 21' Vride, an 09 21' Vride, and another who just bought a 2011 23' Vride. The best way I can describe it is they are more simple. No elaborate electronics, touchscreens, MUX switches, etc. Upholstery has less detail. Still has all the Malibu quality, but their more business & less show.

Of the two boats being compared here, I'd look at the details. Like ballast, tower, and whatever extras. The G3 tower is far & above a better tower than any Illusion, especially for any big, powerful riders who tend to really test it. The LSV might have 4 ballast tanks totalling 1200 lbs. The Vride won't have the bow tank. But there are ballast options for the bow too. Just depends on if you think you need/want it.... or if you are interested in doing it.

As for resale, I don't think thats a real reason for buying a boat. Buy the boat to use. Not to sell.

Well, I ended up going with the 09 Ride!

I went down to ATL to pick it up and got a couple surprises...

1. it had 36 hours not 54. NICE!

2. the guy wanted to throw in jackets, a wakesurf board, and a skate!

I ended up getting the boat for $36,900! Feel like I got a pretty good deal. The boat is immaculate, and after taking it out on Friday, it's SOOOOOOOO MUCH nicer than the last BU I had (03 vlx). Lot's of improvements, and I love the boat! It's good to be back!

Yes, he put on the "Fakesetter" graphics...

%7Boption%7Dhttp://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2da02b3127cceffbb778a1b6000000030O01AbN27Fk3csQe3nw4/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/%7Boption%7D

Congrats, I would have gone for the 09 over the LSV, a no brainer, it's pretty much brand new.

:plus1: great price for a great (virtually) new boat!! Congrats on the new ride - looks awesome