Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Response LXI Reviews

DeeSigns

I was looking to buy a 2005 response. Has anybody heard of any problems with them or any areas of concern? We are looking to slalom the course, barefoot long-line and boom, some wakeboarding. Just wanted to hear some input. thanks

I have an '04 and absolutely love it! And this despite blowing the engine two months after I bought it (used, of course). I would definitely recommend finding one with the Monsoon engine as opposed to the Hammerhead. The Monsoon is more than enough power and much more reliable. The slalom wake might be a little bigger than say a Nautique 196, but it's pretty soft and definitely easy to handle. You'll never get a really huge wakeboard wake out of it but it should be more than enough for the average recreational boarder, especially if you get one with a wedge and add some ballast.

One other potential problem area is what's know as the 'HDS' leak. The 'HDS' (stands for hydronic damping system, or something like that) is a chamber that the drive shaft passes through that is designed to fill with water to dampen vibrations from the drive shaft. These are known to start leaking, particularly after any kind of prop impact. Here's a thread where another member discusses repairing the problem:

Good luck in your search! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Jeff

I've been on this forum for a while and can't say I've ever heard a bad thing about the 03-06 LXI's, which is why I got one and have never looked back!

I love barefooting and when i get fed up with our bad wake for slalom and footing, I go out on one of our lake friends' boats. They are and '03 LXi and a '06 LXi. Fantastic! Classy boats, soft wakes even though they are slightly bigger than a regular response and sportster which ive been pulled with before as well. You will not be dissapointed! As far as wakeboarding goes, they do the job with the wedge but i wouldnt know too much since we wakeboard behing our boat always.

I love my 06, keeping it forever. The bow is a touch low, so you have to be careful with the wonderful rollers from the wake board boats. I've adjusted and very rarely take a roller over the bow. The lower bow sure has prettier lines imo.

Lovin' mine!

I presume this will be my last boat - plan on keeping it for a long time. It's been fabulous. Has Monsoon 340.

Mostly used for open water slalom on the river and tows some footers who love it.

Looks great (especially because it has no scaffolding above the deck!). I think they look better than the newer models. Comfortable. Been completely reliable. Do all my own servicing and mods. We just love it.

I've had my 03 Rlxi w/ monsoon for 4+ years now, and concur with what the others have said. The only negatives: need to be mindful of dipping the bow, the windshield comes too far back on the sides, & the driver's seat height might need modification.

Aside from those 3 (minor) things, I love the classic looks, the layout and the wake...as does most everyone who has skied or footed behind it. Best summed up last summer when my now 13 y.o. daughter said, "Dad, I really don't think there is another new ski boat out there that I would be any happier in.. than this one". Coming from a kid we call "gadget girl" because she always longs for the latest and greatest thing out there....that spoke volumes.

post-5162-0-03884100-1334743703_thumb.jp

Edited by davemac
  • Like 1

Former owner of an 05 lxi. Miss it terribly!

Great boat world class wakes and speed for footing. Monsoon is great power in that boat. Buy it!

Same thing here, miss my 05.

Only issue with 05 was the carpets, they get matted down really easily and don't look as nice as previous years or the newer carpet in the 06+ boats.

Same thing here, miss my 05.

Only issue with 05 was the carpets, they get matted down really easily and don't look as nice as previous years or the newer carpet in the 06+ boats.

The carpets were definitely an issue on the '05's. I found on the one I had that if you left the carpet soaked without vacing out the water, it would dry and leave brown stains.

The other issue on the '05's is the flex plate failures even though they seemed to be more common on v-drives. Other than that, I was totally happy with the one I had and sold it just a few months ago with a new Txi on the way.

Have had nautiques (and still own a '79 ski nautique), a 2000 Malibu Response, and since last year a 2004 Response LXI. Fantastic boat for Barefoot (actually like the wake a little better than our Response), slalom and occasional wakeboard or wakesurf run. We have the Hammerhead enngine. Great looking boat, sleak lines, and luxury feeling all over imo.

:plus1: Everyone said it pretty well. I foot and ski the course and have not found a better boat out there that performs as well for both disciplines. Carpet issues and "dipping the bow" are two common things, but not deal breakers if you take care of the carpet and your driving. Only issue I have experienced with my 05 vintage RLxi is the aluminum structure used in the floor walk through storeage/cooler lid and rear hatch covers. The aluminum structure material may fail eventually due to bending or weight. Very minor thing though.

We love our 2004. Everyone here is spot on with their comments. The only thing I will add is that when we are in the course we put approx 75 lbs ballast in the bow. Think I read to do that on the site. We do have a wedge which allows our kids to surf.

We just upgraded from a Skier to a CB Response. In our hunt for a new ski boat we did not think we would get into another Malibu on our budget. We got lucky with the CB but were 4-5 K short of a LXI. In all the boats we looked at the LXI was getting the highest resale. Very happy with all aspects of the response.

Absolutely love my '04 RLXI, pure family ski boat, no wedge. It has the LS engine and aside from requiring 94 Octane, it runs very smooth and strong. Not the smallest wake on my lake, but everyone says it is the softest they've ever skied on. Yes the carpet mats down and I've had a couple of rollers come over the bow, but other than that its a boat that I expect to have for a long long time. A Mastercraft Prostar 205 owner thinks my boat is the best looking ski boat on the lake (I happen to agree).

• 2 weeks later...

i have had my 05 lxi since 07 and i love it!!!. I have the same issues that everyone else has roller over the bow (usually when someone else is driving and not used to it) i was already

used to taking rollers over the bow.....last boat was a 94 flightcraft sportster. The carpet is tough to keep clean and the rear hatches covers had to be rebuilt. I skied last weekend

in the course behind my boat and a good friends '12 txi and he and i both agree you cant tell much difference behind the boat I get tons of complements everywhere i take mine

I agree with all the comments above, the boat does everthing very well and it looks great on the water! Whatever you decide to buy try to drive & ski it first. We have been using LXi's at the club where I ski for years. Every boat is a little different IMHO. Holeshot, tracking, and just overall feel. When I first started with my current club in 05' they had an 04' & an 05' LXi. Both boats set up excactly the same, but the 04' had an awesome holeshot and seemed to track so much better than the 05' Not to say the boats are drastically different from hull to hull, but if you spend a lot of time in the LXi it's something you might notice.

I liked the 04' so much I bought it last fall! Should be done in a couple of weeks, lot's of new stuff and should be attractively priced.

http://www.themalibu...-lxi-refurbish/

I know, shameless plug.

Edited by bouyhead+

I have an '04 and absolutely love it! And this despite blowing the engine two months after I bought it (used, of course). I would definitely recommend finding one with the Monsoon engine as opposed to the Hammerhead. The Monsoon is more than enough power and much more reliable.

For the record I would agree with this post for the 04 and prior Hammerheads, however starting in 05 the HH is a completely different motor than earlier HH’s and are fantastic motors with lots of torque and top end and extremely reliable and has a great muscle car lope at idle. My 05 HH has not missed a beat in the 7 years I have owned it other than blowing up the dampener plate a couple of years ago. I prefer the 04’ – 06’s and believe that the overall quality and attention to detail is better than the newer models.

Agreed. The '04 and earlier HH's were called HammerHead 380's and were 350ci (5.7L) GM Vortec engines producing 380 horsepower. If I'm not mistaken, in '05 they went to a 383ci engine (not sure about the horsepower output) and renamed it the HammerHead 383.

Our '04 RLXI has the HH 380. I did read some of the stories of these HH's breaking down big time. Our HH however has not missed a beat and is ecellent for barefooting.