Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Info/tips buying boats run in brackish water

jwl019

Been looking around at some boat adds just to see what is out there, and have run across a lot that have been run in brackish water. I have read a good thread about it, so any other info about hazards cause would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the one I read:

Also, I found one with a closed loop cooling system that was in brackish water, any advice on this type system, does it still have an impeller? I only boat in fresh water, but wouldn't a closed loop system make boating in fresh water easier?

Thanks for any tips.

I don't operate in brackish water and many successfully run reliably with good maintenance but for me personally I would run not walk from an open cooling brackish water boat.... the condition is very sensitive to high quality flushing and maintenance which is impossible to know unless you personally know the boat.. the posted link has a good tell... how is the trailer condition...good tell on the maintenance....the closed cooling system is is a bit more interesting.. the focus is now on the heat exchanger and running gear condition. There are pictures here of saltwater boats running anodes on the transom> How is the bright work on the board... corroded or pitted?

Gmack, that is a lot of good questions, stuff I haven't even thought of. I think I will steer clear of any brackish water boats.

I finally found some info on closed loop system last night, and found 2 types. Full and 1/2, with 1/2 still using impeller (what most inboards are) and only the block is circulating antifreeze. Everything else is raw water cooled, exhaust, risers, etc.