Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering

The only lube ports will be the zerk(grease) fittings on the rudder box. The rudder box is the bronze part that is mounted to the hull back by the transom where the rudder shaft comes up into the boat. Shoot some grease in there but realize that there is a good chance that it is time for a new steering cable.

Good luck. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu
The only lube ports will be the zerk(grease) fittings on the rudder box. The rudder box is the bronze part that is mounted to the hull back by the transom where the rudder shaft comes up into the boat. Shoot some grease in there but realize that there is a good chance that it is time for a new steering cable.

Good luck. :)

thanks for the help and love your quote jesus is the only way

Sounds like you need a new cable. I just went through this last year. My steering went from two handed wrenching to one finger spinning. Took me about 1 1/2 hours and +/- $125.

Daniel

My steering was about like Daniel's. I replaced my cable and it was a major improvement. The grease on my old cable was really thick and tacky!

Over the winter our cable just got stiff??? We could hardly turn the boat in the spring and so we replaced the cable and all is well. The boat drove like a dream afterwards and it made me realize how nice our boat really handles! Replacing the cable was a HUGE PITA!!! If it were me I would have taken it to a mechanic, but since I had already told my dad that, "I could do no problem." There was no way I was going to admit defeat and let him take it to our mechanic...two days later it was done.

Mine wasn't that hard to replace. The biggest problem I had was getting the cable to come loose from the adjustment tube. I ended up cutting the nut with a hacksaw. Once I got it loose, it was a lot easier taking the old cable out and running the new one through the stringers than I thought it would be.

YMMV

Daniel

We got one for our SSLXi this past summer for around 125.00 and its pretty ease (in concept) you just unscrew the old one from the rudder area and then from the back of the dash and pull it out. Then slide the new one in and hook it up....easy right Crazy.gif

check out these two threads Thread # 1

Thread # 2

Both are from when I replaced ours last summer. PM me if you have any questions I don't want to hi-jack this thread any more...