Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low Voltage

Looking for a little help. I have an 09 V ride and just in the last 5 weeks I started getting a low voltage alarm. Initially I thought I had a battery going bad so I charged the batterys. So today I put a volt meter on the batterys and both are over 12 volts. I checked all connections for corrosion and there wasn't any. I checked voltage into the ignition switch and it 12.4 volts I checked the switch voltage in the accessory position and it was 12.4 volts. I checked the switch in the on position and it was only 11.4 volts. On the dash it reads anywhere from 10.8 to 11.6 volts, but normally around 11.1 with the engine not running. It seems the instrument panel is reading about 1 volt or more lower than it should be. I also tightened all of the wires on the grounding block under the gunnel. I've had no isseus with starting or anything functioning...any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

I haven't checked volatge running, but on the gauge it reads around 13.7 or 8. The batterys are staying up and have not needed a charge. I did do some additional checking and there are 4 wires on the "on" post of the ignition switch. Take all of them off and you get 12.4 volts from the "on" post. 2 of the wires (purple no stripes) are in one terminal and when it is connected voltage drops, but I have no idea why. The other wires have no effect on the voltage at the "on" post. Funny thing is when I went back out there to check around some more it was reading 12.2 volts...I cycled it 3 or 4 times and still got over 12 volts, then it fell back to 10.8 or so.

No fuses are tripped, the boat starts runs fine and everything works....Any other thoughts?

Positive and negative lugs on engine block. Check them and make sure they are clean and extremely tight. Even slightly loose can throw that warning on computer. Obviously check the ones on battery and switch as well.

Get some contact cleaner for those wires on the ignition sw. If you are able to move them and change the voltage that is either where you problem is or they are directly connected to the issue. It could also be internal to the ignition sw though in an 09 I doubt it.

As Bobby Light mentioned it does not take much to cause a drop in the voltage.

I just had my 2nd failed alternator replaced.... Indmar thought it was a ground.....

There is a way to electronically test the ground to ensure you have good contact, after tightening and cleaning the lugs... this is how they verified it was not a grounding issue on my boat, but a quality issue on the 95A alternators...

I am not 100% sure how you do it, but I believe you test the ohms on the ground at the engine then again at the Batteries and then again under the dash.... testing for resistence at the different location cna help you zero in if you have a grounding issue in your boat, and if you do, help you quickly narrow down where the bad ground is...and how bad the bad ground is, or verify that you have a really good ground.

Perhaps someone on here is familiar with specifics on this and can chime it.

I checked, cleaned, tightened all of the lugs and everything has 12+ volts except the dash when I hook those two purple wires back up to the ignition switch. A wiring diagram would prettty helpful right now.

• 2 months later...

What did you find?

I have this exact same problem. Battery, Starter, Alternator, and the main positive terminal under the dash reads 12.4. But the in-dash display is reading 11.1-11.4 and sometimes dropping to 10.2 for no reason.

Any help would be wonderful!

Jeremy

• 8 months later...

What did you find?

I have this exact same problem. Battery, Starter, Alternator, and the main positive terminal under the dash reads 12.4. But the in-dash display is reading 11.1-11.4 and sometimes dropping to 10.2 for no reason.

Any help would be wonderful!

Jeremy

Did you find any solutions??

I have a breaker panel located below the shifter and that's where my problem seemed to be located. Take the screws out of the breaker panel, drop it down and check the wiring on the breaker for the ignition...mine did not have a good connection. I pulled it off and reattached it and this has solved my problem. I found it by accident just moving wires around a little that are behind the shifter.

• 3 years later...
On 2/28/2013 at 10:14 PM, greg2vlx said:

I have a breaker panel located below the shifter and that's where my problem seemed to be located. Take the screws out of the breaker panel, drop it down and check the wiring on the breaker for the ignition...mine did not have a good connection. I pulled it off and reattached it and this has solved my problem. I found it by accident just moving wires around a little that are behind the shifter.

By shifter, are you meaning the throttle lever?  Just making sure I'm tracking, as I'm getting periodic low voltage alarms but everything seems solid...batteries and connections are good, etc.  I was also wondering if getting water on the alternator would cause the problem.  I found a hole in my bilge pump line that was spraying water directly onto the alternator...go figure.

35 minutes ago, exlonghorn said:

By shifter, are you meaning the throttle lever?  Just making sure I'm tracking, as I'm getting periodic low voltage alarms but everything seems solid...batteries and connections are good, etc.  I was also wondering if getting water on the alternator would cause the problem.  I found a hole in my bilge pump line that was spraying water directly onto the alternator...go figure.

Ahhh, electricity and water always do so well together