Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brought the boat home..have a little problem

Armyguy

Well she is finally home. I drove the 1.5 hours each way, took it to the water to test drive it, and handed over the check. I first wondered about the bimini top. On these towers, is there a bag that you can just fold it into and strap it on the tower or do I have to completely take it down every time I am towing? Couldn't find a zipper bag like my old boat so I towed the boat with it on.

Anyways, I got all the way home and realized that I did not even think about measuring the boat prior to buying this thing. I figured in my head that my Centurion was 21'6 and so is this Malibu so it would fit. I start to back it up into the garage and can see right away that it wont fit. I took the bimini off before trying to do this. I started getting REALLY worried so I take the whole ball assembly off that is on the top of the tower. I start to back it up and the wakeboard rack prongs hit. I took those off and the thing BARELY fits...but it did fit. The racks were the solid mount racks and they were mounted on the higher hole of the tower.

Not sure what to do at this point but at least the boat is nice and safe in my garage. I sure as hell dont want to be having to take the ball and wakeboard racks off/on every time I go out. Any solutions? I am wondering if I put the Samson swing racks on the lower hole and swing them inwards if they will fit? As far as the ball, that thing is about 4 inches so I have no idea how to get that kind of clearance. I know I can have the trailer lowered max of 2" but that is not going to solve the problem of the extra 4" ball. I wish the bar that goes across would disconnect from the tower but it is all one piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

You don't want to lower the tower? If its an Illusion X (looks that way from your photo), it folds forward. The forwardmost

portion will rest on your dash, though some put a 2X4 with a notch on top to keep it just off the dash.

The bimini should have a zipper bag with wrap-around straps to secure it to the front of the tower.

You don't want to lower the tower? If its an Illusion X (looks that way from your photo), it folds forward. The forwardmost

portion will rest on your dash, though some put a 2X4 with a notch on top to keep it just off the dash.

The bimini should have a zipper bag with wrap-around straps to secure it to the front of the tower.

That is with the tower lowered all the way down. I guess I should have said that. So which parts of the bimini do you take off to get it to fold into the bag? The highest part of my garage is 6'11.

Edited by Armyguy

Okay then, that appears to be a seriously cool looking boat, ha. Congratulations. Hopefully so BoatHouse pics soon.

Oh, a Zipper bag should be available at the least. Maybe a nice embroidered one?

Steve B.

Okay then, that appears to be a seriously cool looking boat, ha. Congratulations. Hopefully so BoatHouse pics soon.

Oh, a Zipper bag should be available at the least. Maybe a nice embroidered one?

Steve B.

Thank you..that pic I actually found on the net somewhere and thought it had a really cool background. Mine is the same EXACT boat and color, minus the cool background..lol. I will take some when I get it out to the lake and put a bunch in the boathouse. We had two different groups of people at the lake today that couldnt stop complimenting the boat...it was pretty cool.

Edited by Armyguy

Great looking boat, ready to see some "real" pics.

Haha I know...here is a real one but it just doesnt look as cool as it does sitting on the water...I am probably gonna get the windshield tinted next weekend.

06vlx.jpg

Edited by Armyguy

Just modify the garage opening, and consider it a home improvement project.

Haha I would if I owned it. My bro owns it...I am looking for my own for the past year but the 3 I really liked I was outbid by cash buyers..blahhhh I am seeing how important having alot of land is to build a nice TALL workshop..

Welcome to my world, I have to remove the tow ball on tower, board racks (they slide off so its not too bad), and loosen the G3 mirror mount to fit it in the garage. I have it down to less than 5 minutes to lower the tower down. Once you do it a few times you become very effecient. My garage is 7' 4" high, and I clear with 1" of clearance.... tight squeeze!

Edited by Fman

Welcome to my world, I have to remove the tow ball on tower, board racks (they slide off so its not too bad), and loosen the G3 mirror mount to fit it in the garage. I have it down to less than 5 minutes to lower the tower down. Once you do it a few times you become very effecient. My garage is 7' 4" high, and I clear with 1" of clearance.... tight squeeze!

I know you have the G3 tower but what kind of board racks do you have? Do they make them for the illusion tower?

Sounds like yours is as tight of fit as mine and you have a taller garage. I guess the newer VLX's are taller. I am thinking about getting smaller tires but all 4 tires are pretty much brand new on here.

I just went through the entire boat. This guy left TONS of stuff for me. There was a nice CWB wakeboard with bindings, a kneeboard, 2 nice tubes, 6 neoprene NICE lifevests and 4 of the cheap orange ones, anchors, ropes, docking bungees, portable charger....etc...pretty cool

Also found the black zipper bag for the bimini...and a darn wind screen which I just ordered one from bakes..looks like it will be for sale..lol

Edited by Armyguy

Boat looks fantasic, one of my favourite colour schemes. How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks man..

I got it for 39.5k and only has 127 hours on it. I guess there were two other guys waiting in line to buy it if I backed out. I just happened to see it the second day it was for sale...lol

Edited by Armyguy

Congrats Great looking boat.I have to take the ball and racks off as well. Not a big deal ,got it down takes 5 min max. Congrats again

If you have a torsion trailer you can lower it down fairly easily. I lowered mine 1.5", took about an hour. I have the standard swivel g3 slider board racks. Not sure how different they are than the illusion racks. You can search on here for lowering trailer, there is a good write up on this site on how to do it.

Congrats again on the boat, looks great!

Congrat's on the new boat!

I made the same mistake with our VTX. We have a 6'11" opening, and sure enough I'm stripping the tower down every night to tuck the boat into its crib. I see APWRX has it down to five minutes. That will be my goal this summer.

Cheers,

Don

Unfortunately that won't work. I already have a 10" drop hitch on my truck because of the lift. I can deal with taking the ball on and off I guess but would really like to figure something out for the wakeboard racks. I'll call Samson this week and see if I can get an answer.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I feel pretty happy with my purchase. I have a bunch of stuff ordered already for it. I think about the only thing left is the racks and ballast for surfing, maybe some led's and tower lights...and of course tinting the windshield.

Things ordered so far:

-heated storage tray over the engine compartment

-wetsounds stereo(4-rev 10's and 2 syn4's)

-1235 acme prop

-Samson billet tower mirror

-acme weekend saver prop puller kit

-two globe 100j blue impellers/impeller puller

Edited by Armyguy

So I was thinking about it for a bit since this seems to be a problem for more than myself. What do you guys thin about having a quick detach ball made? It would have to be able to withstand the weight of pulling someone but I might look into having one made. My buddy owns a custom welding/fab shop. I'm gonna give him a holler. If he can do it and it works out, I'll have a few made and sell them on here to those that want one:

Edited by Armyguy