Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie question on wiring to empty ACC switch

watson524

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help with what I think is an easy question for the more learned. My friend has a 2007 I-Ride. We are putting an under water bilge plug light in it (Liquid Lite).

Immediately to the port side of his steering wheel there's an unused ACC switch that we want to go to. The open prong on that we verified is switched hot. Going to take the neutral of the light to the ground bar, easy enough, and the hot to that prong.

The question is around the fuse. On his fuse panel next to the driver's seat, there's a 20a fuse button labeled ACC Plug but we think that's the car charger type plug. We couldn't see anything for the ACC switches. Plus, this light needs a 3a in line fuse. Can we just wire the fuse in between the light and switch on the hot side? If so, this will be super easy, if not, I'm not sure what the heck to do.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Those circuit breakers can be used in place of the fuse. If you just want to wire an in-line fuse then you can do so without running through a circuit breaker. You can put the fuse in the power or ground wire it makes little difference since it's in the circuit somewhere. Just put it somewhere that you can easily access and replace the fuse.

However, if you have already pulled the accessory switch and checked it out and it switches HOT, then that ACC switch should already be hooked into one of those circuit breakers. YAY. To verify take a hard look at the color of stripe on the orange wire to the switch. You should be able to see that wire running to one of the circuit breakers.

Odds are though that the circuit breaker is for more than 3A. Could be as high as 30A depending on which breakers are installed at that position. Go ahead and install the 3A inline fuse anyways.

Also make sure you're using thick enough wire for the run from the breaker panel to the lights. If you have a multimeter you can measure the voltage at the light and the voltage at the panels. 3A isn't a lot so 14awg is probably good enough for a long run.

Thanks Slurpee. The goofy thing is that we can see no way to get to look at the back of his fuse panel. It's like it's a sealed box below the throttle/shifter. The fuse reset button labeled ACC Plug is a 30a so we were wondering if that was all 5 ACC switches and the car charger jack together. That being said, we'll put the inline fuse on the hot side and have the spade connector on the inline fuse connector so the fuse is close to the switch. At least I think I'm getting this right, you're saying I can have the inline fuse between the switch and the light vs between the battery and the switch, right?

What I am going to do tho for giggles is look across the multiple ACC switches and see if the stripe on the orange wire happens to be the same maybe indicating that they're going to the same fuse on the panel.

The light has 6' of 16awg wire so we were figuring we'll go with that all the way through since if I remember ohms law, I'm only losing about 3.4% of .41 volts.

Edited by watson524

Your set. My '01 just has a hack job on the fuse panel. No clean enclosure. So it's easy to trace wires. You can put that fuse anywhere in the circuit and it'll work. 1/2V of loss is just fine. V=IxR. And the right breaker could be labeled anything. My boat had 4 unused accessory switches and they ran to four distinctly named breakers for options I didn't have like heated seats and shower. I can't remember what the breaker for the outlets is named on my panel unfortunately.

Ok cool. And I actually thought, I can get this inline fuse between the power and switch pretty easily without cutting factory wiring (vs putting it between the light and the switch). I'll just put a male spade connector on one end of the fuse holder and a female on on the other so I can pull the factory hot wire off the switch, plug in the inline fuse holder and put the fuse holder onto the always hot of the switch.

thanks for your help!

Ok cool. And I actually thought, I can get this inline fuse between the power and switch pretty easily without cutting factory wiring (vs putting it between the light and the switch). I'll just put a male spade connector on one end of the fuse holder and a female on on the other so I can pull the factory hot wire off the switch, plug in the inline fuse holder and put the fuse holder onto the always hot of the switch.

thanks for your help!

which liquid lite did you install? What do you think of the Liquid Lite? Any photos of install or use at night?

Didn't install it yet but both my friend and I (I have a 1987 Chaparral) went with the white one. We won't be in until the beginning of May but I can get some pictures then. They just changed over to the 6 LED lights which is what we have so it'll be brighter than the old ones.